TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting one. Been looking at reviews of HF Predator 2000 but the Honda has more starting and running amps. I'll be using it as a back up power source and for running power tools. Anyone have experience with these two?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Why just these two options? There are so many out there now in this power range for the inverter generators, such as Yamaha and Generac with other branded names like Energizer and Briggs and Stratton. I would just hit up YouTube for reviews and comparisons. The power tool users are a good source as are RVers. What you're likely to find is what can easily deduced... the most expensive units made by the most known brand names, such as Honda, Yamaha, and Generac, will likely get high marks for being quiet, putting out consistant quality power, lasting long and being quality units. Your lower cost units from Predator and other knock off Chinese types will work, and get high marks for being inexpensive, but will likely not have the quality or longevity as the more expensive ones will. Finally, the ones in the middle, will be in the middle of the pack. Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol. Didn't think of that. tool and RV reviews should cover generators. Was looking at the eu2800 as well for the same price and it had a fuel related recall. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have used my 2 Honda 2000i's for hundreds of hours absolutely with out a single problem. They have never been difficult to start and produced what they were suppose too. We used them to charge cordless tool batteries on remote construction sites. Many times they would run all day without being shut off. Also quite enough to talk over. Many times with 4 battery chargers on them.
Mel

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thinking of getting one. Been looking at reviews of HF Predator 2000 but the Honda has more starting and running amps. I'll be using it as a back up power source and for running power tools. Anyone have experience with these two?
I bought two eu2000s 15 years ago and have only praise for them. I get 5-6 hours per .9 gallon tank. The reason I chose them was their quietness and fuel efficiency. They are light enough to easily carry. They have been trouble-free.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
So for my RV I bought a champion 3100/2800W from Costco. I got this one because it has a Yamaha clone engine in it an it will run my RV’s air conditioning.. it is very quiet too and has run flawless for me although not that many hours yet. It was $599 a no brainer for me as you can buy 3 Honda’s for that. I like the Honda’s. They are making a duel fuel version gas and propane and one with a wireless remote. I wish I had the duel fuel one due to the bad ethanol gas here in CA. Although I can add a conversion if I want.

https://zumohome.com/products/100158r-2800-3100w-champion-inverter-certified-refurbished?gclid=CjwKCAjwp_zkBRBBEiwAndwD9buRZaINxbCF7QX4-IX9e6kWYkZRAxxROw4szEqZEq6t7rDerzAygxoCjq4QAvD_BwE

Edit Champion has great product support if needed in the USA. I didn’t see that the one I posted was refurbished mine was new for that price..

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I don't know much about the small output gensets such as Honda and the others but have had 3 different large ones in the 7,000 watt range with peaks of 10,500 surge starting. I absolutely love my current Troy Bilt one that runs my entire home when the lights from pole power go out. I can't do propane here unless I spend twice as much as the generator costs just to get the tanks and plumbing installed. One thing I really loved about my older Kawasaki genset was what I call a Rev idle Limiter, when ever the power demand was light the engine idle slowed down considerably until a fridge or some other appliance kicked on. This saved a bunch on fuel economy and there was no good reason for the engine to be running at a constant full throttle when only a few light bulbs were being powered. My Troybilt does not have this feature but I wish it did. I am very fortunate that Non E gas is available here and that is all I use in my stand by generators and never had an issue with carbs gunking up using real gas and a dose of seafoam.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I run 100% Honda eu's I flip tons of them and have for years they are so reliable and in demand you simply can't go wrong with a Honda for performance and resale. If you look hard you can find the eu3000is for $1500 new and eu2200i for $750 to $800 and add $100 for the 30A Companion model. I also like the eu3000 Handi as it's 50 lbs lighter than the eu3000is electric start but only puts out 2900 watts vs 3300 watt surge on the eu3000is. I have been getting the "old" eu2000i's for $600. The eu7000is Fuel Injected is my preferred big boy genny they are so quiet I see drag race teams playing cards using the genny as a table !

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
So Costco has the dual fuel model for $849.99 It is electric start too.. Check out the reviews on Amazon and Costco.

https://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL-FUEL-2800wt-Running--3100wt-Peak-Digital-Inverter-Generator,-Electric-Start,-RV-Ready,-Parallel-Capable,-CARB-%26-EPA-Certified,-Low-Decibels.product.100284958.html

If I was buying a generator now I would defiantly get a duel fuel. 5 gal propane tanks have a 12 year? shelf life and if the carb was clogged from bad gas would still work on propane.

·
Registered
805 Posts
There are tri fuel kits you can add to just about any generator. I bought one off eBay for my Honda EU7000is, installed it and it works great on propane as well as gasoline. The third fuel, natural gas, I haven't tried.

Also;
The Honda EU2000 is no longer sold as a new product, just old stock. It's been replaced with the EU2200.
The EU2200 is a relatively new product and currently on recall for catching on fire or some such.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I own the Harbor Freight 3500 watt Predator generator. And it's less than the price of the Honda 2000 watt generator. I purchased it a few years ago and I'm satisfied. It's made by a company called Loncin Motor Company, and it's apparently sold under several brand names.

I think the Honda generators are probably the best generators on the market, but I couldn't justify the cost for a generator I'm using 2-3 times a year to run the air conditioner and electrics for my travel trailer.

The decibels are a big concern for me. I don't want to be that guy with the construction generator at campsite- that's just a bit too inconsiderate for me.

If you're using it for power tools, and volume isn't a concern, then for the price, just get one of those cheap Champion generators would fit the bill. Inexpensive and substantial power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts