TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is going on with me?

Went from TT500s and Shovelheads to a TW, and now, another goofy bike bug bite me.

Craigslist is Bad.

Perusing it yesterday, a bike popped up again. It has been listed before, but yesterday I took a look at it. And now I want one.

So, does anyone here have any experience with one? How did you like it? And are there problem areas, or problem years to stay away from?

Thank you in advance.

Wheels turnin in the disappearing cornfield.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Road one at a rally once. I personally liked it. I would second the opinion that it was like riding a cross between a scooter and sport touring bike. (I do quite like riding scooters though) I expected it to be faster since the motor is a version of the VF/VFR but it was way down on power. Get over the expectations and it is a very interesting ride.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I have 2 of them. I ride one almost every day.

It does many things very well.

Last Sunday I had my 94 out on the twisties with a bunch of ZRXs and a Multistrada. Nobody waited for me. Didn't think I could get it as low as I did in the turns. Never waivered. Has factory suspension and crappy old fork oil.
I love my "Tuperware bikes". They are like pickup trucks.

Put Michelin Commander IIs on the 94, and it is absolutely amazing in any temp/road condition/weather.

There are some things to look for. Coolant tube orings can leak and Cam plugs can leak oil. My 94 has almost 40k miles, and it drips a bit of oil. As soon as the weather gets cold enough, and my lift frees up, that PC is getting undressed (not as bad as it seems, but time consuming and delicate work) and getting repaired. Oh, do not think you can load up on heated gear and electric farkles. The stators are marginal. And the clutches will slip under power in third gear sometimes. This is normal, and not an indicator that the clutch is worn,

My other one is a very low mileage 95 that is hibernating in case anything happens to the 94. I love them so much, that I bought a spare. I can ride any of close to 40 bikes at any time, and more often than not, that PC800 is under my butt.

If I can be of any assistance regarding these absolutely excellent bikes, please do not hesitate to PM or post here.

--Al

·
Registered
265 Posts
To answer the question at hand......I have ridden a PC, but not owned one. I always liked the concept of them, until I rode that one. Having owned 3 of the Honda ST1100's, which are a V-4 (like a Guzzi)(but a Guzzi is a twin)(but you get the idea of it being a Lateral V-4)....the ST1100 is VERY smooth, and very fast. Then, to go ride a PC...with a twin cylinder 800cc engine, it felt slower, more awkward, etc.

So, my only experience with them was not so good...but that was because of a direct comparison to a much better bike.

However, having said that, I know of people that have put HIGH mileage on them, and ridden them all over North America. Quality product. Just felt like an 800cc scooter. Actually, it "felt" like a 500cc scooter, despite being an 800 cc engine.

Oh, and...I am back home now...as if anybody really cared :rolleyes:
I know by now you must have made your mind up on the PC800 by now. The MODEL Name PC800 on this thread stuck out with so many thread choices to pick from. It stuck out because at the time this model first came out years ago "I HATED IT" and then started to hate HONDA. I hated the model because it was caught between touring bike and scooter and the plastic look. I was angry at Honda for having perfect SPORT BIKES IN PRO RACING then watering them down so much on looks and parts at the dealer. Overall I was a Huge Honda fan then become disillusioned by them playing it safe and average look. In magazines I had read back in those days Honda wanted to tone down their on the edge high performance products image for legal reasons in the Horsepower wars. They wanted to promote reliability and practical bikes. The Gold Wing and the ST1100 I had a ton of respect for but not the PC800.
Years later with my grudge over with HONDA and aging I find the PC800 a very good choice for someone that tours and also commutes regularly into a city. Back in the day in some parts of the states they couldn't even sell them thousands off list price. They had some left in the HONDA warehouse for five years or more new. Today, if I was going that route of a scooter style bike I would get a newer Suzuki Burgman 400 or 650. Great following, the newer Burgmans have a better final driveline that saves fuel, less drag.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Back in 1995 I had my BMW R1100RS in the shop. They told me it would take a couple of days. I asked the the owner if he had something I could ride. He offered any bike as long as it was not a BMW. So he had a black PC800 and I thought that I should buy an iridium shield and put a rainbow sticker on the back. But I sucked it up and just rode it. I beat the day lights out of it and still got 52mpg. By the time I turned it in, I was in love with it. Performance, like topspeed, comfort and fuel mileage I was impressed. I had it to an indicated 115mph and I think it had a little bit more in it. If the would have been more farkle friendly it would have been great!

Ride safe!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts