TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the deal. I have only owned one bike, 2010 TDube. I love it and I enjoy it. But I am thinking about getting something to cruise with. Many have told me if you want a long distant cruiser to get nothing less than a 1300. But I am not a fan of power and I really do not want something really big. I was thinking about a Honda Shadow 750. It gets good gas mileage and it has enough power to cruise on the highway.

What are some of your thoughts? I hear they are really reliable, would I be happy with it. I have no trips planed any time soon, but I would like something to be able to take on 3 to 4 hour trip.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The Honda Shadow is a fine motorcycle, I think you'd be happy with one. For the record, I've ridden all over the USA on far less than 1300cc

·
Registered
374 Posts
So here is the deal. I have only owned one bike, 2010 TDube. I love it and I enjoy it. But I am thinking about getting something to cruise with. Many have told me if you want a long distant cruiser to get nothing less than a 1300. But I am not a fan of power and I really do not want something really big. I was thinking about a Honda Shadow 750. It gets good gas mileage and it has enough power to cruise on the highway.

What are some of your thoughts? I hear they are really reliable, would I be happy with it. I have no trips planed any time soon, but I would like something to be able to take on 3 to 4 hour trip.

Thanks guys

I sold my 2000 Shadow 600 when I bought my TW - it never was very practical for me as I live a mile up a steep dirt road and, at my age, long range riding is really a job for a car. Anyway, it was a nice bike with enough power and a good look. It was comfortable and handled well. The 750 is similar with a bit more power. One thing wrong with it is that it only has a 5-speed transmission 6 would be nice on a long ride but it should be better than the 600 - with the 4-speed on my 600 and less power I was constantly trying to do "one more shift". You will enjoy this comfortable and rock-solid bike.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Do NOT go lower then the 750, and double check the 750 to make sure it has a 5 speed. I had a 2007 Honda Shadow 600 and it was a four speed. It was a miserable bike on long trips because of it. 85MPH in fourth gear was brutal.

Not sure if the 750s all have 5 speeds or not, but it is something to look at. Avoid the 600 for going long distance.

I will say my Shadow was absurdly comfortable. First day I rode it for something like 12 hours.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Do NOT go lower then the 750, and double check the 750 to make sure it has a 5 speed. I had a 2007 Honda Shadow 600 and it was a four speed. It was a miserable bike on long trips because of it. 85MPH in fourth gear was brutal.

Not sure if the 750s all have 5 speeds or not, but it is something to look at. Avoid the 600 for going long distance.

I will say my Shadow was absurdly comfortable. First day I rode it for something like 12 hours.

Agreed on the tranny. You do want that extra gear.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The Shadow's are great bikes. I put 62,000 miles on a 96 ACE 1100. I loved the shaft drive because of the very low maintenance.
I think the 1100 is the best of the bunch. Here is one of a bunch of pix of a very cool de-Hondafied 1100 that was on Craigs SF a year or so ago - I was soooooo tempted.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
a honda shadow is a solid and reliable bike...i have planned on buying one when i decide to move to a cruiser...all the 2013s are 5 speed bikes...cheaper than a 1300 and plenty of power...i really don't see a need to get into huge cc bikes unless you want the comfort which means added weight which requires more power...i bet the horsepower to weight ratios of a shadow and a TW are pretty similar...now i have to check cause i want to know...that being said, i want this...

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/shadow-phantom.aspx

edit:

2013 TW200 14hp/278lbs wet = 0.0503

2013 Shadow Phantom 35hp/549lbs wet = 0.0637

·
Registered
215 Posts
I found my 600 to be under powered. At 458 pounds and rated for 34 hp /36 Torque. This gives it a higher power to weight ratio then the larger 750 at 0.074235807860262.

I found it to be almost not enough when dealing with traffic on a three lane road. Really have to goose it to get it out of its own way.

Could just be me though. I wasn't a huge fan of the Shadow, it definitely had its perks like comfort and reliability. but for being near 500 pounds + rider I didn't think it could get out of its own way quick enough in traffic. Now this is the 600 model, but it actually has a higher power to weight then the 750, something to think about.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
the 2010 1300 custom sabre is 75hp/659lbs wet = 0.1138 ...adds another 100lbs and over doubles the hp...cruisers and just heavy pigs...could look into something like a triumph bonneville which might be a little lighter and get the job done...i like vstar and victory as well...a sport cruiser or an adventure bike would be a better way to keep the weight down and engine size down and still be comfortable

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
To change the subject just a little - don't get fixated on only one bike or one manufacturer, there are lots of bikes out there that will fulfill your dream (like way too many). I got a Suzuki S50 (800cc twin, water cooled, shaft drive, very quick, light weight at 458 lbs, 45-50 mpg depending on how you drive it). I love this bike and have had absolutely no trouble with it since I got it 4 years ago. It's extremely reliable and one of the members on another forum had put 135,000 miles on his before it was wiped out after being hit by a car. His second one had over 80,000 miles when I last heard of him a year ago.

I also had a Honda PC800 - go look it up, There is also a forum for just these bikes. It's a little heavier at just shy of 600 lbs, is called a mini-Goldwing by some, is also exceptionally reliable (after all it's a Honda)and some members on that forum have bikes that have 200-300,000 miles on them. They are really low maintenance and were designed this way, with shaft drive and hydraulic valve lifters, only needing routine oil changes like every other machine. They are very smooth riding, handle exceptionally well and are very quiet, with tons of built in storage space on either side of the rear wheel built into the body, making a rear trunk. You have to get used to the body style, but these are cult bikes and hold their value very well.

Just keep your mind open and have fun looking at all the different possibilities.

·
Registered
424 Posts
For what it is, the shadow 750 is a fine cruising machine. It's pulling only 3400 in 5th gear at 60 mph, which if you're used to the wound out TW it will probably sound like it's idling down the highway.

The only bad thing I can think of off the bat is the fact that it's a V-twin. I've heard from engineers that vtwins are a terrible configuration for an engine from a mechanical reliability standpoint. The shadow 750 I test rode vibrated like crazy if you tried to take off hard in 5th gear.

Vibration HEAVILY contributes to engine wear. The more vibration the quicker it will wear out. From what I have gathered the 3 main contributors to engine wear are: Excessive engine speed, Temperature and vibration. The slower and cooler and smoother the engine runs the longer it will last.

I have a nighthawk 250 (Inline, not V, twin) and a CB900 (Inline four) and they're silky smooth, even under the hardest loads in top gear there is NO increase in vibration at all. They are perfectly smooth and balanced. The nighthawk is especially incredible - Anything below 40 in 5th gear will bog the engine down - but I've taken the bike down to 35 and then just snapped it WIDE OPEN just to see how much it would vibrate due to it being under a hard load with too low of a speed in too high of a gear. Again, not a single increase in vibration. It was struggling, but it stayed smooth. Whether I'm idling or red-lining at 8250 the vibrations are virtually non-existent.

Beautifully engineered 1980's technology at it's finest.

I've seen so many HD V-twins for sale that claim rebuilds at 30-40k miles. I've also seen CB750/Nighthawk 750 engines and goldwing engines easily exceed 300,000+ miles with no problems at all.

If you're not worried about long term reliability, it's a fine bike. Otherwise I would opt for an inline twin or four.

·
Registered
215 Posts
There is also the NC700 from Honda, position is more like a TW then a cruiser but more power then the shadow 750 and better mpgs ( around 80 iirc). I sat on one at a motorcycle show. The gas cap is in a pretty dumb place (under the passenger seat) but it does have a "trunk" where the normal gas tank would be which is kind of neat. Can fit a full face helmet in it.

I think they call it an adventure bike but you wouldn't catch me off road with it. I think it is more of a touring/commuter bike.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
750cc is fine.I have a Shadow RS750 good machine.This engine has been around for many years....is now FI though.If you were to be doing LONG rides.....like out to Sturgis I'd go up in cc's!.The reason for that is because the MPH traveled by riders out there is a bit high! AND the comforts of a "big" bike you will appreciate at the end of the day. My RS is comfy up to 70ish,then it begins to work a bit!.Transmission is a five speed,folks keep going on about six speed this or six speed that......it all depends on the ratios of said transmission...regardless of #'s.If your communiting or going on short trips....say, for me...across Ohio....750 is good enough!.As for long term reliability....it's a Honda V-twin,some of the best out there!.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts