TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

Registered
They more than once talk up its lightness in the article. 534 pounds doesnt sound too light to me. Top it off with an almost 35 inch high seat I wouldnt be taking it off road. Now if they would scale everything down including the engine by about 25%.............that would be a killer bike.

Registered
The 21" front wheel is great and I like the rally inspired fairing. It also looks great with knobbies, but I would rather it stayed a 750cc. At 1000cc they are very late to a very crowded market.
Exactly. I added this to the Dual sport list thread and you see how many there are there. I think its closest competator has to be the KTM Adventure. Its looks and adding the autoshift does make it stand out a bit.

Registered
Having owned one of the original Honda Africa Twin 750's, as well as a large number of other large cc Adventure bikes, I believe that Honda has made a grave error in coming out with the 1000cc version of this bike, in a parallel twin engine. There simply is NO need for an Adventure bike to have more than 800 cc's. All these big bore Adventure bikes are a waste...too much engine for non-pavement roads.

If Honda had come back out with the 750cc V-Twin again, I would be the first in line to buy it, as it was the very best Adventure bike I owned. Since they made this big mistake, I look at te Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT, and like what I see.

If you are going to use the so-called Adventure bike for nothing more than 90 % pavement, and 10 % nice gravel roads, or nice dirt roads, then the big bikes are "okay". But THAT is not Adventure riding.
True Adventure riding is riding the roads in South America, riding from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, or Over the Top of the World road from Chicken, Alaska. Adventure riding is riding through Mongolia, during the wet season. On those kinds of roads, a BMW R1200GS/A is way too big a bike. A KTM 1190 Adventure is way too fast an engine, and too tall in the saddle. Etc, etc, etc.
Yeah like YOU would know..........

Tom;)

Banned
So Mike we should get a Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT and do a Alaska trip when I retire in 11 months!

Banned

Banned
It would have to be August 1.

Registered
You will just have to retire earlier, as I have a ride over Labor Day weekend...Mexico to Canada...next year. And the ride "around" Alaska will take us all of 4 weeks to complete.

Retire early !
Just reverse direction! Canada to Mexico. From one grand adventure to the next with no time to recuperate. Unless you don't have the "saddle" for it anymore........:rolleyes:

Tom live from Houston.

Registered
Having owned one of the original Honda Africa Twin 750's, as well as a large number of other large cc Adventure bikes, I believe that Honda has made a grave error in coming out with the 1000cc version of this bike, in a parallel twin engine. There simply is NO need for an Adventure bike to have more than 800 cc's. All these big bore Adventure bikes are a waste...too much engine for non-pavement roads.

If Honda had come back out with the 750cc V-Twin again, I would be the first in line to buy it, as it was the very best Adventure bike I owned. Since they made this big mistake, I look at te Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT, and like what I see.

If you are going to use the so-called Adventure bike for nothing more than 90 % pavement, and 10 % nice gravel roads, or nice dirt roads, then the big bikes are "okay". But THAT is not Adventure riding.
True Adventure riding is riding the roads in South America, riding from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, or Over the Top of the World road from Chicken, Alaska. Adventure riding is riding through Mongolia, during the wet season. On those kinds of roads, a BMW R1200GS/A is way too big a bike. A KTM 1190 Adventure is way too fast an engine, and too tall in the saddle. Etc, etc, etc.
i'm right with you on this. i owned a purple RD07 and it was great, but i would rather see a serious transalp than a new AT.

Registered
I do like this new bike. But to me it's just another street bike (a nice street bike!) that may occasionally pretend it's a dirt bike and flutter along a graded dirt road somewhere outside Vegas... Okay okay, maybe I'm being a little harsh. I really do like the bike and honestly I'm sure it'll do fine off road for what it is. In MY mind, though, a True Adventure motorcycle is a dual sport (350 to 650) capable of sustained highway crunching at relatively low speeds. Among the current crop of actual adventure bikes, I don't think I've seen anything that I'd rather have than a Triumph Tiger 800 XC. Lighter and more powerful (although less torque) than the CRF1000L. IMO better looking and even more of a cool-factor, with that SWEET triple power plant.

This is definitely pretty appealing to me as well (especially if you consider what you could do with the five grand saved versus the Triumph!):

Hope no one minds. Here's a cool TNP video on the 1000. I've only watched five minutes at the time of posting:

Registered
All these big bore Adventure bikes are a waste...too much engine for non-pavement roads.

Call it dirty sport-touring. Call it Moto-camping call it what ever you want. It's what most of us will ever do. I don't think I'll ever ride on another continent.

I ride the twisties, look for dirt roads and carry camping gear. I would hate doing that with a light, small, small disp. bike. Maybe take one in my pick-up truck.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts