·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have appointments to check out two bikes;

http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/2881162974.html

and

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/2922043303.html

Both private parties. First listing, the seller is reputable (google searches, back and forth, etc) and upfront with treatment of the bike;

He said it's been sitting for about a year and a half with no gas in it. also says after starting and running every so often, the battery doesn't seem that good.

Now I am giddy to get a bike, so I am hoping it's in good shape as I'll be driving close to two hours to see it.

What would a new battary entail? Are bike batteries like car batteries, universal and available everywhere?

I am going to bring $2200 in cash with me, but going to offer $1900 and go from there.

Any other advice would be great, as I am a noob

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, he holds the title, but registration is expired. I assume I would just need to register it under my name?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Batteries are easy. You can get them at most places and their anywhere from $30-$60 in auto stores, and as much as you want to spend online and at dealerships.

He just signs the title over to you and then you get insurance and get it registered in your name and a new title issued to you in your name.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the fast replies. As for the speedo...are the parts to fix that obtainable?

Due to the seller communication and just a better feel, as long as the 2002 runs OK (bringing roomate and friend who are experienced riders)...I am going to make an offer

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My understanding for California is that you have to pay a tax/fee/fine of some sort to cover (up to) the past 4 years it hasn't been registered, as the state assumes you were operating it on the road without registration. I don't know how much a year's worth of registration costs there though. I bought one from over there and couldn't get a title sent unless I paid like 600 bucks or wrote them a letter saying it was trailered to me and I never operated it there. If you've just transferred the title to your name, you may not have to worry about that.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Thanks for the fast replies. As for the speedo...are the parts to fix that obtainable?

Due to the seller communication and just a better feel, as long as the 2002 runs OK (bringing roomate and friend who are experienced riders)...I am going to make an offer

this is where i buy my parts from...for a 2002 here is the fiche...

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/4/Make/Yamaha/YearID/43/Year/2002/ModelID/6138/Model/TW200/GroupID/247732/Group/METER

good luck man...let us know how you make out

·
Registered
133 Posts
Both of those bikes have been listed for a while. I'd offer $1500...settle on a top price you'll pay (even if it'd gold plated)..saves you a two hour drive.

Ask yourself "Why haven't they sold?" Good deals don't last in socal.

Having said that, the two bikes I just bought were lingerers on CL...I made a most-I'll-pay offer on the phone. Both bikes are sound.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I hate when people say speedo cable broke. I've ridden a long time and many bikes and never had one break on me. I just feel they break/unplug the speedo and run up the miles and then say "I've have this bike 10yrs and it only has 1000 miles on it." and then you have a 2008 for the same price I'd go for the 2008 and take a drive. Maybe he'll meet you half way or something.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I hate when people say speedo cable broke. I've ridden a long time and many bikes and never had one break on me. I just feel they break/unplug the speedo and run up the miles and then say "I've have this bike 10yrs and it only has 1000 miles on it." and then you have a 2008 for the same price I'd go for the 2008 and take a drive. Maybe he'll meet you half way or something.

if you look at the pictures it looks like the speedo took a hit and was smashed...probably what broke the cable

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The second one (2008) is only about 30 mins. Planning on seeing it Satursay and if that falls thru I can see the 2002 Sunday . I will bring cash in hand and start low. Is the asking price reasonable?

Carb cleaning and license plate frame missing, sounds like of I offered 1600-1800 cash on spot he would deal.

Speaking of carb cleaning...would that be a fun weekend project?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I hope you didn't have anything planned for the next few years, because it sounds like you caught the motorcycle bug already. It is apparently having an adverse affect on your psyche

No sh*t!

I have caught the bug ever since I took the MSF course last weekend and sattled up on the beauty that is the TW200. I am praying that 08 is in good condition otherwise.

Which brings me to yet another noob question. If the bike needs carb cleaning, how would I take that away from hearing the bike when started?

Just want to make sure I don't get screwed.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
TW200 battery size is odd. Fits nothing else. Expect dealer to have to order, at a price of $40-$80, depending on the dealer's level of greed, which will probably be pretty high this time of year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sealed-AGM-Gel-Battery-YTZ7S-GTZ7S-TRX450R-TRX-450R-/180834745231?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a1a973b8f is a Chinese AGM from ebay. $29.95 delivered. Slightly smaller than the stock battery, so use pieces of wood or old sign plastic or something to fill the gaps.

It is not necessary to use the odometer to determine actual usage of a bike claiming low miles. Shift rubber, seat cover, tires, and handgrips show wear, and unless replaced, are very difficult to cover up. Also, look at the rate paint wears off the brake pedal, footpegs, and engine cases. A dry chain and sprockets in good shape indicates very low miles. A neglected chain and scprockets can be toast in <1000 miles. A well-cared for but otherwise worn chain and sprockets can indicate 6000+ miles. Shiny spots on the front of the brake and clutch levers where the fingers pull indicate lots of miles.

Unless a carb has been molested by an amatuer, disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly requires no parts. A can or two of carb cleaner, some copper wire, and some compressed air will usually get the job done. While going through the carb might as well rid the bike of the EPA-mandated strangle and enjoy more power and throttle response. A 118 or 130 main will set you back about $3.50 and shipping. A pack of 2.5mm flat washers from a hobby shop might cost $1.99, but you only need one, which a good hardware store, if you can find one, would sell for about $0.05. Might as well spurge on allen head replacements for the bowl can cap screws, maybe $3 for 8.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TW200 battery size is odd. Fits nothing else. Expect dealer to have to order, at a price of $40-$80, depending on the dealer's level of greed, which will probably be pretty high this time of year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sealed-AGM-Gel-Battery-YTZ7S-GTZ7S-TRX450R-TRX-450R-/180834745231?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a1a973b8f is a Chinese AGM from ebay. $29.95 delivered. Slightly smaller than the stock battery, so use pieces of wood or old sign plastic or something to fill the gaps.

It is not necessary to use the odometer to determine actual usage of a bike claiming low miles. Shift rubber, seat cover, tires, and handgrips show wear, and unless replaced, are very difficult to cover up. Also, look at the rate paint wears off the brake pedal, footpegs, and engine cases. A dry chain and sprockets in good shape indicates very low miles. A neglected chain and scprockets can be toast in <1000 miles. A well-cared for but otherwise worn chain and sprockets can indicate 6000+ miles. Shiny spots on the front of the brake and clutch levers where the fingers pull indicate lots of miles.

Unless a carb has been molested by an amatuer, disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly requires no parts. A can or two of carb cleaner, some copper wire, and some compressed air will usually get the job done. While going through the carb might as well rid the bike of the EPA-mandated strangle and enjoy more power and throttle response. A 118 or 130 main will set you back about $3.50 and shipping. A pack of 2.5mm flat washers from a hobby shop might cost $1.99, but you only need one, which a good hardware store, if you can find one, would sell for about $0.05. Might as well spurge on allen head replacements for the bowl can cap screws, maybe $3 for 8.

If/when I get into a mechanical situation, I might be PM'ing you!

Thanks alot

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well just got an email from the owner of the 08...

"Hello I just came back in town and I was looking at my mail and I haven't received the pink slip yet I had asked my cosine if I had it but I had received another letter from the DMV so I guess in a bout a week or so I'll receive the pink slip I don't want to make u drive to Carson and u thinking I had the link slip. Sorry about that, I am currently letting the other people who are planning on buying the bike the same thing. But If u like to come down and still take a look u can email me or call me at xxxxxxxxthank you"

DARN

Guess I'll just be looking at 1 this weekend

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are some DR200Se's in the area. But honestly, I would pay extra to have a TW200, solely based on this community, which is invaluable to me.

Also it looks badass.

·
Registered
37 Posts
well just got an email from the owner of the 08...

"Hello I just came back in town and I was looking at my mail and I haven't received the pink slip yet I had asked my cosine if I had it but I had received another letter from the DMV so I guess in a bout a week or so I'll receive the pink slip I don't want to make u drive to Carson and u thinking I had the link slip. Sorry about that, I am currently letting the other people who are planning on buying the bike the same thing. But If u like to come down and still take a look u can email me or call me at xxxxxxxxthank you"

DARN

Guess I'll just be looking at 1 this weekend

A friend of mine was looking at the 08. The guy said he had paperwork then not. I think he said it had no mirrors,license plate is missing and would not start. Decent price for an 08(if it runs) but he was not comfortable with it and decided to keep looking.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts