TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Once again, I attended the Horizon Unlimited California event which was held at the Mariposa Fairground near Yosemite. It's a premier overland event for motorcyclists. There were over 350 attendees.

I took two days getting up there and two days getting back..here is the map of the route I took.

HU Route Map.jpg

On the way there:

Day One = Hwy 395 to Route 178 to Route 155

Day Two = Route 155 to Route 43 to Route 198 to Route 41 to Route 49

On the way home:

Day One = Hwy 41

Day Two = Hwy 395

First stop is Freedom Junction which is where Explorer Joseph R. Walker passed through the intersection of Hwy 14 and Hwy 178. This intersection is also known as the Indian trails which he found in 1834 after discovering Walker Pass. After the '49er parties escape from Death Valley, they split up here to either go west or south to the California gold fields. Also this intersection is where bandit Tiburcio Vasquez preyed on stages and freighters traveling between the Kern River mines and Los Angles and the mines of Bodie and the Panamints.

The second stop is Walker Pass, this here has an unusual clusters of Joshua Trees. They were densely packed against one another.

The third stop is Lake Isabella, I stopped so you can see how much we're in a drought. The lake is very low and at 14% of it's capacity level.

The fourth stop is Onyx, CA which only have a population of 475. The store is full of nicks knacks.

The last stop for the night is Glennville.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day Two was mostly flat farm lands except I stopped at Colonel Allensworth State Park

In 1908, Colonel Allen Allensworth and four other settlers established a town 30 miles north of Bakersfield, CA. This town was founded, financed and governed by African Americans. Their dream of developing an abundant and thriving community stemmed directly from a strong belief in programs that allowed blacks to help themselves and create better lives.

I finally arrived at the HU event at the Mariposa fairground.

Where I got to meet Russ' idol, Craig Vetters.

His company created aftermarket motorcycle fairings in the 70's before manufacturers themselves included fairings on their products. The product has been cited as once being so ubiquititous that the term "Windjammer" was interchangeable with "fairing". At one time his company was the second largest motorcycle industry manufacturer in the US behind Harley-Davidson.

I also got to meet Doug Wothke, known in the motorcycle industry as "Around-The-World Doug". He has been around the world on a motorcycle 4 times! He rode different bike on each journey such as a 1948 Indian Chief, a Harley-Davidson Panhead, a Sportster dirt-bike conversion and a rigid shovel-head. Doug's most recent adventure crossing was the TAT on a 1989 Harley-Davidson with side car.

I attended many other sessions as well.

Here is our group shot before everyone hit the road.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After spending 3 days of attending sessions and hanging out with famous motorcycle travelers. It was time to hit the road to head home. I got to ride with the Adventuretrio who is heading down to South America.

We took off to ride through Yosemite Valley and planned on camping at Benton Hot Springs.

....however due to a late start and mechanical issue..none of us got there.

Yep, I broke my throttle cable halfway through the trip home.

Ranger hanging out with me while waiting for the tow truck. It never came because it kept being diverted to accidents due to the snow. So the Ranger took me to a camp ground to hunker down for the night. We had to leave the bike on the side of the road. Once I got the tent set up, I walked over to the gas station to call my son from a pay phone since we had no cell reception to come pick me up with the trailer. A reason to get a Spot or the InReach so you can send SOS messages.

While waiting for him...I met a fellow rider who also broke down due to the ignition coil. His friend showed up and they decided to fetch my bike to take it back to the campground.

My son finally arrived at 3 am to take me home!

All in all, it was an adventure! I learned a lot at the event and learned a lot on the trip itself. I need to do some fine tuning to get ready for my trip next year.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Great adventure and great to see you are out and about after your loss. I love hearing about all the helpful people we have in our MC communities all over this country. Sometimes I feel like a heal because when I see a biker on the side of the road I almost always stop to see if they need help, most times they are just having a smoke and I am an intruder but I've also gone home for my trailer and done a couple rescues. No cell service here either so a brake down can be an adventure.

Keep on rolling PPE;)

GaryL

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Oh Purple you are really a throttle twisting adventurer, so much you broke your poor little cable in two. I wonder how many miles you put on that cable before she let go. Too bad. Glad others came to your assistance on a rare rainy night as Yosemite is supposed to more fun than stuck broken down on side of road. Bummer.
There is a way to exchange push for pull cables to jury rig a replacement throttle cable in an emergency in case anyone else ever has similar break-down.
It is easy to always be trying to twist a little more power out of our TWs it is no wonder we tear heads off of throttle cables. For me I fear I will break my shifter as I am always pulling up with my toe for that elusive sixth gear.
Great report and photos, sounds like a lot of fun until the break-down.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a way to exchange push for pull cables to jury rig a replacement throttle cable in an emergency in case anyone else ever has similar break-down.
It is easy to always be trying to twist a little more power out of our TWs it is no wonder we tear heads off of speedo cables. For me I fear I will break my shifter as I am always pulling up with my toe for that elusive sixth gear.
We were going to try to jerry rig it but with no shoulder where I broke down and the storm getting worse. I told the other riders to go on ahead so they wouldn't get stuck. The pic you saw was me walking the bike about a 1/2 mile to an area that had a ditch with the Ranger driving behind me. I will need to learn how to jerry rig it but more importantly I will carry an extra clutch and throttle cable with me on my trip.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who tries to shift into the elusive sixth gear. :)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Great Ride GW/PPE...great photos, and despite the mechanical problems, it was indeed an Adventure....:p

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hi Purple People Eater: What a trip, what a tale, what a distinctive bike, what good people, and we will always be looking for 6th gear!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who tries to shift into the elusive sixth gear. :)
Rrroom, Rrrooooom, Rrrooooooooom, Rrrroooooooooom, Rrrrrroooooooooooooooooom, Rrrr. I feel like such an idiot!:p It's all The BMW's fault.......gets me into such bad habits....:mad::D

·
Registered
656 Posts
Rrroom, Rrrooooom, Rrrooooooooom, Rrrroooooooooom, Rrrrrroooooooooooooooooom, Rrrr. I feel like such an idiot!:p It's all The BMW's fault.......gets me into such bad habits....:mad::D
No: Just Rrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooom. But I keep hoping for more of Rrrr. Do it almost everyday. Embarrassing.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sooo, looks like I'm not the only one looking for that 6th gear....

Seems everyone went to the Horizon's Unlimited event, some good friends of mine were there. Those friends and I met the Adventure Trio at the Touratech Rally in June, we were camped next to them, very nice people.

Sorry your trip was spoiled by your cable failing but, that's all part of the adventure isn't it? I always enjoy telling about those kinds of adventures once I am safe at home more than when I am broken down on the side of the road. Now that you have reminded all of us to check our cables we can try and avoid having a similar experience.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is no longer the stock front tire. Is it the 241 and how do you like whatever it is compared to stock. Also, what gearing are you running for your long road trips? Can't wait for next year.

You do realize that you need to plan on 50% more time than what you originally settle on; because I doubt anyone will let you pass through their area without you stopping for a meal, or taking you on their favorite trail, or having a comfy place indoors for you and TW to spend the night; or at least riding shotgun with you through their countryside. -j-
Yes you're correct it is not a stock front TW tire. I went with the Shinko SR241 trial tire. It was the best thing I have done, it handle so much better in the dirt, sand and street. After I rode Mel's bike last May with the stock tire, I really noticed the difference.

I kind of have an inkling that will be the case for my trip next year which is why I do not have a set route for the trip, I will go with the flow and with him in my heart. :)

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
"A reason to get a Spot or the InReach so you can send SOS messages."

Actually some pretty good advice that most of us put off until something happens like it did to you. Though I usually tell my wife "the area" where I'm riding, this would only get a search and rescue party only so close. I've put off getting one of these for a long time, but motorcycling is not the only good use one of these devices can be used for. Think hiking or just traveling by car or truck somewhere remote.

Your whole trip/adventure was awesome. I so admire what you've done and are preparing to do!:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts