TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and maybe not searching correctly (although I did find a lot results about "horns" in the Performance and Customization section).
Love this site :love-struck:

My 2005 TW 200 Horn is not working. :confused:
However, the Horn itself works (put it on another bike and works just fine).
Nothing happens when I push the button.

The wiring looks ok (No obvious cracks or breaks).
My BF used a test light and it seems to have a constant power. When I push the horn button it doesn't change or flash like on his bike.

Took apart switch and connections look good.
The lights and turn signals work just fine. Just when I push the horn button...nothing happens.

Could it be the switch itself? Thinking of replacing the switch to see if that is it.
Any suggestions? Something else to test?

I currently don't ride many main roads. Mostly back roads. But you never know when you might need a horn.
Thanks for your suggestions. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
"My BF used a test light and it seems to have a constant power" What? If it had constant power the horn would be making noise all the time. Wouldn't it? Where did you hook the test light?

Your problem is either the switch or the wires. If the horn works on another bike, use your tester to see how the current flows on the good bike first, Then work on the broken one to make it act the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fishguy. :)
Good point and I forgot to mention that is what we thought about the horn making noise all the time too.
He hooked it the same on his bike to compare and when the horn button is pushed it flashes the light on his. But on mine it doesn't flash...just stays on.

Can just this Horn part of the Switch go bad?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Thanks Fishguy. :)
Good point and I forgot to mention that is what we thought about the horn making noise all the time too.
He hooked it the same on his bike to compare and when the horn button is pushed it flashes the light on his. But on mine it doesn't flash...just stays on.

Can just this Horn part of the Switch go bad?
Is your friend using a continuity test light? If he is that supplies its own power. He needs a multi-meter to check voltages at the ends of the wire that attach to the horn. You should see voltage when the horn button is pressed and none when it is not.

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info & suggestion Tom.
I will show him this and have him check it with a multi-meter. (He knows more than I do when it comes to this kind of stuff - as you can tell by my descriptions - lol).
I appreciate the help. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,
Sorry been a few days.
Checked it with the Multi Meter and found that the Switch was good.
Ended up being where the horn bracket mounts to frame. Good ground now and Beep Beep...Working!! YAY!
Thanks all. :)
:wav::wav:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts