TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 09 makes a very loud metal barking sound when cranking over to start. The cranking rpm is low I would estimate 1/3 the speed so it rarely starts (I pop start it which isn't as much fun as it used to be). The sound is very metallic and much louder then it seems on the recording. Bucknutz said battery, tried it with the charger and with jumper cables from car, no improvement. I sometimes hear the sound at shut down for like a micro second. I am the type of guy that would be happier Converting it to kick start but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm new here.

Steve!

09 tw about 1800 miles pretty much stock everything 600 miles on it last 12 months averaging 100 miles week now that i actually have a license.
09 panther motors scoot coup 150cc
56 vw rail 1100 cc street legal no helmet required
Had some other stuff but not any more

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Sigh. Your video is broken, but I hope you didn't just change the oil and filter. Far too many victims of the famous Yamaha filter packaging shenanigans. Hopefully it's something else...

EDIT: Okay, after watching your video - now that it's working - you can obviously completely disregard my previous comment, thankfully.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Ahhh , that one works. How old is the battery? . Your idle sounds quite high to me. Have you taken the starter out recently ?. Strange you would hear the noise at shut down. Have you adjusted the valves recently?.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
There is a brass bushing in the starter, opposite of the starter gear end, on the brushes end. Probably needs a little grease. You will have to remove the starter and dis assemble it to get to the bushing. Not a big deal, the brushes can be a pain to get back in right. This is my best guess. Wait and see what other people think.

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
Reactions: grewen

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wouldn't of thought anything on a TW in that condition with that mileage would be worn out yet. I'm thinking the starter clutch assembly, but it couldn't be worn yet?

I wonder what the voltage to the starter motor is? Have you tried measuring the volts at the motor when you crank it?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I would say the starter is on the verge of going. Miles on the bike have little to do with it but if the bike sat for a while and became finicky to start or was cranked for long periods with a weak battery or carb problem then the starter could have more miles on it than the bike itself. A good practice to follow is 30 seconds of cranking on the starter followed by a full minute of cool down. If the bike won't fire up then find the reason rather than just wear out the starter motor. Cranking the starter with a weak or dying battery is also a culprit, starter motors are designed to run on at least 12 Volts and lower than that can cause damage.

GaryL

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it's the starter or battery then why does it sometimes make the noise at shut down? Here is an example of it
Also, removed and inspected the starter it's clean and moves freely. I did not see a starter clutch assembly or any kind of "throw" on the starter gear? there were acorns and pebbles under the starter motor between motor and frame, and the rubber o ring was dry (the gear was drippy wet and no signs of wear on it or the main crank gear, so ya, greased up the o ring).

But again it can't be the starter because it makes the same noise at shut down sometimes

Also took the starters temperature and it's not any cooler then the engine case, about 240 degrees which seems off to me based on the relatively small amount of contact with the crank case and the amount of air that can get to all sides of the starter. Is the starter also the generator?

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
If you just have the key on, does the starter get warm? (as if it is shorted out somewhere?) No it is not a generator. Did you see the $50 dollar starter for sale I posted for you? Might be worth snatching it up...

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
The starter clutch is a mechanical deal using springs and circular weights and is mounted onto the back side of the flywheel.

The TW starter is just a starter and not a generator. There are charging coils as part of the stator that provide the current for charging the battery.

·
Registered
386 Posts
i have same issue on 1 of my bikes..sounds horrible…especially when starting it up in the street..get some funny looks from passersby, i replaced the brushes and it was ok but not for long, i just replaced the starter in the end and was good after, i think maybe the shaft is bent but dont know

·
Registered
638 Posts
If the starter isn't disengaging after starting the motor it would burn up its bearing in a hurry and make that sound when shutting down.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sometimes, when the Sprag Clutch components (starter clutch) begin to wear, it makes a "bang" noise when shutting down. I believe this is most likley the culprit as GaryL and others have said. This is common on Yamaha TTRs and always something to look for when buying used. In your case, even with low miles, this could be the issue. Replacing the starter is a good place to start. You may not see any wear on the starter or components, but it could definitely be there at the "micro" level in the bearings, shaft etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts