TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does everybody that lists a tw200 (or anything for that matter) list it WAY above the book value? Example:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2-yamaha-tw200/6586507916.html

A 2008 tw on the NADA website lists "average retail" as $1,400. "High retail" would be around $1,800. These are listed over $1,000 over book. Why do people seem to think that "MY bike" is worth more because its "MINE"??!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Everybody? Are those your bikes? Good luck with the sale! The new owners will be happy either way

·
Registered
40 Posts
Personally, from my experience sifting through Craigslist for weeks in hopes of buying my first Tdub I noticed that people don't think depreciation is a factor. The sheer rarity of Tdubs on the second hand market is what allows these owners to set the going price for one. It wasn't until someone responded to my wanted ad that I actually found a reasonable price on one, probably because they had nothing to compare it to. I showed the owner a thread from this forum regarding the value of the 1987 model and they were happy to oblige, I got a fair deal on it because of that! Maybe other members have had a similar experience and agree with my theory, or maybe I'm just talking out of my a** haha.

Best,

Ted

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Those are low miles. I am sure there’s room for negotiation.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Why does everybody that lists a tw200 (or anything for that matter) list it WAY above the book value? Example:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2-yamaha-tw200/6586507916.html

A 2008 tw on the NADA website lists "average retail" as $1,400. "High retail" would be around $1,800. These are listed over $1,000 over book. Why do people seem to think that "MY bike" is worth more because its "MINE"??!!
Two things:

A.) When you post things on Craigslist, you have to deal with 'Craigslist people'. When you post something for $7000, you will immediately get several responses- sight unseen, severely lowballing what is a reasonable price: Hey man would you take 4 grand for no particular reason other than I can't afford it? So you post it for 8 or 9 hoping someone will offer 6 or 7.

B.) Some things truly are worth more than book value. When I was looking to buy an '04 VW Golf R32 in 2012, the bank was initially unwilling to finance $16k, because KBB said it was worth about 12. I urged the lady to have a look and see if she could find one for less than 15; she couldn't, and the bank ended up financing 16. TW200s hold their value quite well. Finding one in good condition, no matter the year, for less than 2500 is going to be pretty dificult, even if KBB says it's not worth much.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
+1. X10

two things:

A.) when you post things on craigslist, you have to deal with 'craigslist people'. When you post something for $7000, you will immediately get several resposes- sight unseen, severely lowballing what is a reasonable price: Hey man would you take 4 grand for no particular reason other than i can't afford it? So you post it for 8 or 9 hoping someone will offer 6 or 7.

B.) some things truly are worth more than book value. When i was looking to buy an '04 vw golf r32 in 2012, the bank was initially unwilling to finance $16k, because kbb said it was worth about 12. I urged the lady to have a look and see if she could find one for less than 15; she couldn't, and the bank ended up financing 16. Tw200s hold their value quite well. Finding one in good condition, no matter the year, for less than 2500 is going to be pretty dificult, even if kbb says it's not worth much.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
You will note that this ad has been posted for 12 days. Most good TW deals on craigslist are gone within hours of being posted.

Posted 12 days ago
favorite this post 2 Yamaha TW200 - $3000 (Petersburg)

2008 Yamaha tw200

fuel: gas
transmission: manual

I have two yamaha TW200s. Very low miles and adult owned ridden and maintained. Street legal. Both run great need nothing. Both have about 2200 miles. Price is $3000 each.
859_nine five seven. 938 one

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh. Ok. Now I get it. The issue isn't the people listing them. It's the dummasses buying them. If none of the stupidly overpriced bikes sold for stupid prices then none of the high priced bikes would sell. Hey everybody, I got an idea. Stop buying stupidly priced bikes.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
If you think the prices for bikes are inflated then go look on the auction site at TW parts. I see hammered headlight cowls listed for over $50 yet you can buy them new from Partzilla for $27.

What a bike is worth is what ever a buyer is willing to pay for it and it is just that simple. What the used parts are worth is another story and should be based on condition and what new ones cost if the part is actually still available. Good news for us TW owners is that most parts are in fact still available because for over 30 years these bikes have not changed all that much. Some parts are very reasonably priced while others are wildly expensive. Take for instance a rear fender cowl that you can buy new for around $75 which isn't too bad. If you want that little rubber pad to go with it then get out another $60. Plastic side covers go for $50 each new but you can buy a new front fender for $40.

If you are in the market to buy a TW I have said this a million times here. Keep your eyes and ears open on all the sites and have your cash in hand so you are ready to drop what ever you are doing to go buy it when you see a deal. Of the 7 TWs I have bought and sold not one of them lasted more than a few days on CL and most had multiple buyers lined up waiting to hear from me if the first guy did not take it.

GaryL

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Oh. Ok. Now I get it. The issue isn't the people listing them. It's the dummasses buying them. If none of the stupidly overpriced bikes sold for stupid prices then none of the high priced bikes would sell. Hey everybody, I got an idea. Stop buying stupidly priced bikes.
They probably don't sell for that much though, you just don't see/know that. You see a bike listed for 3000, and then you see that it was sold and assume that someone paid that much for it. But it is likely it was sold for less than that and you will never know what the actual selling price is.

As to buying 'stupidly overpriced' bikes, that's just how capitalism works. Supply and demand. If people are paying these prices, then that is what they are worth.

If NADA/KBB had said it was worth 3000 would you feel better about paying that much? You only think they're overpriced because someone told you so.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Just MO here but I think NADA and KBB is just a scam for dealers and has very little to do with the actual real value of any vehicle. Keep in mind that dealers usually have to do some work for the vehicle to at the very least pass inspection and in many cases they also have to give a warranty for 30, 60 or even more days or miles. I have always maintained that a 1995 with 200 miles is worth just as much as a 2005 with 200 miles if they are in equal condition. I would grab the 1995 for the kicker and they can keep the front disc.

GaryL

·
Registered
36 Posts
They probably don't sell for that much though, you just don't see/know that. You see a bike listed for 3000, and then you see that it was sold and assume that someone paid that much for it. But it is likely it was sold for less than that and you will never know what the actual selling price is.

As to buying 'stupidly overpriced' bikes, that's just how capitalism works. Supply and demand. If people are paying these prices, then that is what they are worth.

If NADA/KBB had said it was worth 3000 would you feel better about paying that much? You only think they're overpriced because someone told you so.
I completely agree with this. I couldn't find a reasonably priced bike on craigslist, so I made a "fair" kbb value offer on one that had been listed for 28 days and the buyer took it. It was listed for 3500 and i walked away for 2480. That bike is STILL on craigslist...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Prices on KBB and Nada are super low compared to what CA legal bikes sell for in CA. Late model bikes sell for 3500-4,000-4500, dealers charge 5800.00 OTD. You all are lucky without needing to buy a CA model and can get much lower prices; CA even has it figured out as CA models are called out in the VIN#. I tried to register a TW that was originally purchased in CA and then plated in Oregon; what a nightmare! Had the original paperwork, the bike had the CA sticker and the CA smog canister-not good enough I had to get a letter from Yamaha Corporation saying per. the VIN it was a CA model; thanks goodness that Yamaha Legal Department understood my problem and sent me a letter proving that the bike was a CA Model (they were very helpful).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts