TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my bike to Hagerstown MD today for a VW, Vintage Motorcycle and bicycle show. My sons 1967 VW was chosen to be featured in Hot VWs the "HolyGrail" of VW Magazines. My dad bought a new 1966 Beetle and my brother and I learned to drive in it. Once those old Bugs get in your skin it's hard to get them out :p. My brother is a serious body and paint guy and has built many Bugs and Street Rods. Mike and my brother spent four years restoring his 1967.
I think the reason I enjoy the TW so much is that it reminds me of the old style VWs

image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
816 Posts
that a beautiful looking bug. I spent a few years in the local VW club with my dad years ago. I miss it in some ways. Id love to get one and tinker with it too, but the same ol story. Just time and money!

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I had a 55, a 56 and a 65.

The 55 was turned into a dune buggy and it was my first car. I bought it for 175 dollars and drove it into the ground trying to kill it for 2 years and then sold it for 275 dollars. I felt like quite the wheeler dealer.

The 56 I restored into showroom condition and a friend rolled it. He met Jesus that day.

The 65 ended up with Porsche equipment and was a pretty fast bug for its day. I got run off the road and ended up rolling it 4 times at 60mph ending up in a lettuce field one mile outside of Salinas. It caved in the roof completely and broke every window out. I had a 1/2 inch scratch, passenger was unharmed. With a little help, we flipped it back over, kicked out the roof, added a quart of oil and were on our way again. I had the windshield fixed only and drove it for another year before selling it. It ended up as a convertible dune buggy soon after.

As you probably know Rick, the 67's were highly sought after. That was a great year.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Older VW Bugs are really nice.....when you remove the original engine...and install a Subaru 2.0 liter WRX engine and transaxle.

Goes like stink :D
I glad I didn't have anything like that back in the day. My Hopped-up VW engine was plenty fast for me. My brother installed a Turbo Covair engine in his Baha Bug

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a 55, a 56 and a 65.

The 55 was turned into a dune buggy and it was my first car. I bought it for 175 dollars and drove it into the ground trying to kill it for 2 years and then sold it for 275 dollars. I felt like quite the wheeler dealer.

The 56 I restored into showroom condition and a friend rolled it. He met Jesus that day.

The 65 ended up with Porsche equipment and was a pretty fast bug for its day. I got run off the road and ended up rolling it 4 times at 60mph ending up in a lettuce field one mile outside of Salinas. It caved in the roof completely and broke every window out. I had a 1/2 inch scratch, passenger was unharmed. With a little help, we flipped it back over, kicked out the roof, added a quart of oil and were on our way again. I had the windshield fixed only and drove it for another year before selling it. It ended up as a convertible dune buggy soon after.

As you probably know Rick, the 67's were highly sought after. That was a great year.
Wow Tommy sorry to hear about your friend...that sucks. I owned a Dune Buggy once that my brother built it was a blast. I seen a couple Dune Buggys at the "Simple Transport 8" VW show that I would like to own. Check this one out.
View attachment 21231

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I had a '73 bug briefly. I was a bartender here in Wichita, KS. Drove it to work one night in the winter. It was very cold that night. I must have driven through water/snow. I got off work at 2:30 AM and had a bit to drink that night. I started the bug and the throttle cable was frozen in it's tubing. I was able to idle accross the street to a grocery store to wait till it thawed enough to drive home. Didn't want to be caught by the local PD sitting in the parking lot of a bar after hours. lol Good memories. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Older VW Bugs are really nice.....when you remove the original engine...and install a Subaru 2.0 liter WRX engine and transaxle.

Goes like stink :D
Ruin it, you mean? Like installing a DRZ400 engine in a TW?

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
i have a '67, all stock with sunroof and pop out rear windows.... my parents bought it new in dec '66. been sitting in my garage for a few years now. just waiting for time and $$.
:)
some day.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have a '67, all stock with sunroof and pop out rear windows.... my parents bought it new in dec '66. been sitting in my garage for a few years now. just waiting for time and $$.
:)
some day.
That's cool Joe our 66 my dad bought rusted out and is long gone

1 - 20 of 31 Posts