TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured my mileage divided by 50 mph per 1 hr of riding. I figured 50 mph is a good average for my riding. (mostly street). Based on my mileage that would be approximately 846 hrs. I usually changed my oil based on the average car mileage which I figured to be about 60 hrs per oil change, about 3000 miles. I know off road is much harsher on the bikes. Is anyone using an hour meter? What are your off road maintenance schedules based on hrs? I may begin more trail riding this next year since I ride my Radian for street mostly now. I am looking to add an hour meter to my bike. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Why complicate things with hour meters on vehicles meant to be serviced like cars? <-- this isn't snark, it's an honest question to gain understanding.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Should go by something like 30 Mph
Ive had run meters on cars and its amazing how low the average really is,
Im agreeing with a lower average. Unless you live right on a highway?

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I rode 23,363 miles in 874 hours which equals 26.7 mph. I change the oil about every 1500 miles which I honestly believe is to often, but on the other hand it is only 1 liter and for sure doesn't do any harm. 96% on roads, 4% on trails. I live in an urban environment.

Starting picture is 9292 miles at 0 hours.
P1140241.JPG

Picture taken this morning, Feb-11 -'17,
32,655 miles at 874 hours.
P8050026.JPG

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The TW gets almost no use, so it gets checked once a year and changed after each off road trip.

The rider PC800 gets the most miles at about 1k a year. It thinks it is a Harley and leaks a bit, so it usually has fresh oil and filter each year and checked and topped off before each ride.

The Beemers have complete fluid changes from when first obtained, and neither has had enough miles to even be checked.
The Harleys get very little use, so they just get checked before a ride. The oil isn't even darkened in them.

All of the small bikes and show bikes are topped off and checked before a judging event. They must run to be judged.

Any of the bikes in waiting just sit with whatever is in them till I get to the project that includes them.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
So according to Smitty, I just need more bikes to change between. Less oil changes and have fun on them all. Not a bad plan. It also keeps the mileage lower.
Yep, it was very stealthy how he laid that out :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think the TW can benefit from more frequent oil changes,
The Tw200 duty cycle is approached more often than in a larger engine which isn't as stressed to do say 50 Mph up a hill,
I change the TW oil often,
I think for the cost every 1500 miles is plenty of you do mostly road,
If mostly trail at about 10 Mph I would change more often,
Just my 2c

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Change ours every spring regardless. Just seems the right thing to do after sitting all winter.

Reactions: Ken and littletommy

·
Registered
736 Posts
I would go by time in months and/or mileage. I don't drive my truck as much anymore, so I do oil changes by time, rather than miles. Hours are only really needed on a stationary or single engine speed engine, such as generator or lawn tractor...where you don't measure miles.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How about an oil change every dozen tanks of fuel ?
Commute mostly to work and ride around our rural area, an almost equal mix of dirt/gravel/mud roads and something mostly paved.
Get between 110-120 miles between fill ups. if I run on a logging trail or pasture path, tanks consumed sort of equates to run time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How about to send the oil to be analyzed?

I mean not everyone use the same oil or the bike I the same conditions. For example I use full synthetic diesel oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
So for a machine that gets used infrequently like most boats either diesel or gas and some motorcycles. One good resaon to change the oil before it sits for longer periods of time with out use is to have clean oil in the crankcase and not dirty. The reasoning is acids, moisture and combustion byproducts sit in the crankcase and cause corrosion etc. So for sail boats the time factor is 200 hrs( no odometer) or every 6 mos. I think the same reasons can apply to motorcycles that sit over winter with out use it makes sense to change your oil before storing it. The oil isn't going to go bad and will be fresh when you use it again. If you use your bike regularly than miles, tanks or hours would work best. If your odometer works that is an accurate way plus your usage and manual recomended intervals to tell when to change it. It never hurts to change it sooner rather than later. Especially for 1 qt of oil.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Tweak....

That is the coolest avatar anywhere on the internet.
I get vertigo EVERYTIME I look at it.

Way Cool.

Sorry for the hijack.

So for a machine that gets used infrequently like most boats either diesel or gas and some motorcycles. One good resaon to change the oil before it sits for longer periods of time with out use is to have clean oil in the crankcase and not dirty. The reasoning is acids, moisture and combustion byproducts sit in the crankcase and cause corrosion etc. So for sail boats the time factor is 200 hrs( no odometer) or every 6 mos. I think the same reasons can apply to motorcycles that sit over winter with out use it makes sense to change your oil before storing it. The oil isn't going to go bad and will be fresh when you use it again. If you use your bike regularly than miles, tanks or hours would work best. If your odometer works that is an accurate way plus your usage and manual recomended intervals to tell when to change it. It never hurts to change it sooner rather than later. Especially for 1 qt of oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts