TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

How About a Daily Ride Video?

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Fred 
#1 ·

#3 ·
Is this more Alabama Hills shenanigan's? How big of a riding area is Alabama Hills? When I was in the area last it seemed like these John Wayne cut him off at the pass rocks, was a smaller area than I would have thought. Of course, the actual riding area could be much larger than what we paid attention too.

#5 · (Edited)
The HooDoo terrain encompasses only a few square miles however there are other distractions. Take a nice 8 mile twisty road and you end up about 3 horizontal air miles away but 1 mile higher in elevation and the flavor changes considerably. This is the popular approach for climbing MT. Whitney

#6 ·
I've just about convinced myself to return for more good winter time camping and riding since I have not been back for a few years.
Here is my first ever TW video shot with a cell phone taped to my helmet. You can see how the place is very inviting. Makes a good jumping off point for trips into the high sierras, Death Valley, and the White Mountains with their ancient bristle cone trees.

#7 ·
Yes the Hills area is cool and not too big as Fred points out some good riding in the area. We went south and up the road to the Golden trout wildernesses. East across the valley to the morth a lot of dirt to mining claims. Also Masurka Rd Are plus not to far east to west Death Valley. North of AH is the Japanese interment camp. Plus the Hills are a great place to camp and would make a great TW event. A must see is the movie museum in lone pine.

#9 ·
I like camping up in the nearby White Mountains too. There's some pretty nice dry 4,000+ year old firewood above 10,000 ft.;) Tree Woody plant Plant Trunk Branch
Wife wanted to take this one home Tree Wood Woody plant Bigtree Plant

Main gate may have a seasonal closure by now but one can sneak up the very steep Silver Creek jeep road out of Bishop. Tends to be flowing water and occasional desert bighorn herds. Herd Wildlife Cow-goat family Animal migration Barbary sheep

While not terribly remote but I still advise filling up the gas tank before wandering too far from civilization. Transport Vehicle Mode of transport Ecoregion Truck

#10 ·
The Bristlecone and Bodi photos above were from a car trip but the TW has been to both. There are many Eastern Sierra destinations reachable by TW friendly routes not used by the average visitor. While Bristlecone has the rather excellent Grandview Campground there are backcountry options if one takes an alternate approach. Water Vegetation Bank Water resources Natural environment

Both TW and I were weezing a bit when the jeep road finally met the official road a bit above the main attractions. Still it was great to wander on foot to some of many infrequently visited bristlecone stands. There is a tremendous amount to be seen beyond where 95% of visitors stop in most all natural attractions. My TW just helps me get closer. Wood Tree Badlands Rock Plant

#11 · (Edited)
Another day, another video?

...a nice dual sport ride over 8700 ft Ebbett's Pass and 8,300 ft Pacific Grade. TW does pretty good on those 23% grade paved switchbacks yet still has the moxie to punch through a bit of snow to visit a few alpine lakes. Didn't see no adventure tour riders out there.

#17 ·
i didn't see the turn off to highland lakes... but i think you're on east slope. beautiful area. my bike wheezes up there, damn flat landers

#13 ·
Yesterday's Christmas Eve ride in light rain seemed like it killed my camera as it stopped working shortly into the ride. Fortunately a good overnight dry-out brought it back to life. Here is a brief sample. Wish I could say I was testing the new brake pads but I never got fast enough to really need brakes. Just put-putting around the back forty..

Reactions: admiral
#14 ·
Is that your "meditation" shed you passed that you sometimes show? I was just thinking what a neat area this would be on top of the ridge and then you stopped at a bench. Somebody else thought of that to. Your bench also?

#15 ·
Correct Admiral. I have a few of these scenic places to pause and enjoy the view, or get out of adverse weather like the shed. Hadn't visited the bench in a few years due to fallen trees on the access trail as well it being an active deer bedding area in the adjacent mountain mahogany thicket. This time of year the resident deer don't need to spend their fat reserves running away from my dogs.

I built the shed there since it is so pretty a place to pause yet is very exposed to sun and wind. A worthy show-shoe destination in winter and a place to get out of sun in summer. Wind has actually blown shed over twice taking a little creativity with a Hi-LiftJack to right again. Recently a strong wind just tore a door off so maybe it is finally anchored. Hard to build a decent foundation with just what I can carry on my bike or drag with the TW. Lumber tied to a 2-wheel handtruck actually makes a decent TW trailer.;)

Reactions: admiral
#16 ·
When I feel like channelling my inner Troglodyte I go to this ridge top rock shelter and chill on another little bench. This one is farther up mountain on National Forest land and also commands a nice view. Rock Boulder Formation Wilderness National park
Dogs rest up a bit, then we proceed further to a refreshing spring.

#18 · (Edited)
I also wheeze Joe:D
HWY 4 had just re-opened the day before after months of winter snow closures. As such most of the side roads like to Highland were still gated closed or barred by snow. I was camped along the Carson River and riding the Luther Pass and some Silver Fork mine roads when I noticed highway crew opening the road. Lucky me, good timing for an unplanned ride the next day! Rode over to Pacific side and re-fueled at Bear Valley before heading back to camp.

This trail network began right where the eastern highway closure gate was. On way up gate was closed, was opened an hour later when I popped back out.

Reactions: Ride Now
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.