TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously owned this old Sportster for a lot of years and still have bit of a soft spot for them.

P7140018.JPG

If I could find a cheap enough donor bike, I might consider building up one like these guys are offering kits for (although I think the kits are quite a bit overpriced for me). I wouldn't consider one of these to be a true adventure bike, but I kinda like the looks.

https://hugomoto.com/

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
That's pretty cool. And there are tons of cheap Sportsters out there for harvesting.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Other than the knobby tires, I wouldn't really call that second one a scrambler as such...

Still pretty neat though, but probably good for maintained fire roads at best.
Agreed. I started looking at builds like this a few years ago, when a friend of mine bought a Ducati Scrambler (also not really a scrambler). I figured I could build something just as cool, for less money. I even bought an old Kawasaki 750 twin to "scramblerize."

Then I bought a Jeep Scrambler, and that became my new money pit. :p I sold the Kawasaki shortly afterward.

My TW satisfies the kind of riding/tinkering that I like to do! :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Great idea and a cool look. In my opinion, there’s too much heat coming from those air cooled v twins for typical scrambler usability. I feel those motors need to be rolling at higher speeds to keep your chestnuts from roasting. That’s why I had the water cooled Harley when I lived in Florida. Passed a lot of air cooled Harley’s sitting on the side of the road waiting to cool down. Maybe not a big deal in cooler climates. Cheers

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I’ve been throwing around the idea of putting knobby’s on my FXR and slowly turning it into a Scrambler but after riding the Sportster for the last three days I’ve changed my mind. It’s way to heavy for my skill level so I’m sticking to paved roads.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
That’s why I had the water cooled Harley when I lived in Florida.
The V Rad is too ridiculous for my liking. Want to check valve lash? First you must remove everything you can see on the bike [including loosening the exhaust and drive belt], disassemble the frame [why/how is that a thing?], And partially remove the engine. Oh, so valve lash is out- lucky you, you get to remove the cams. Hope you have a set of external torx sockets. Oh you don't have an e-torx socket set- oh you must be one of those everybody. Welp, better head to the hardware store because those dumb things are everywhere on this stupid engine.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Back in the fifties and sixties, the XLCH was a scrambler from the factory. There was not a scrambles track in the country that didn't regularly have sportsters running on them.
Most of them were beaten by the 650 Triumphs that people had modified for the purpose but they did give great performance. the tracks were mostly too small for them.
The bigger the track the better they did. The XLCH was pretty much the same until the seventies. A;l it needed was tires to match the track it was being used on.
They were even found competing in cross country enduros, sometimes with a sidecar.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Totally agree about the XLCH but the XR-750 was king of the track for quite a while.

Back in the fifties and sixties, the XLCH was a scrambler from the factory. There was not a scrambles track in the country that didn't regularly have sportsters running on them.
Most of them were beaten by the 650 Triumphs that people had modified for the purpose but they did give great performance. the tracks were mostly too small for them.
The bigger the track the better they did. The XLCH was pretty much the same until the seventies. A;l it needed was tires to match the track it was being used on.
They were even found competing in cross country enduros, sometimes with a sidecar.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is what you seek

About - Carducci Dual Sport

As far as I know though only two have been built. Very cool bike.

I wouldn't mind taking a cheap 883 and building something ADVish but it wouldn't be to the level that guy did his.
You are right! I would love to have something like that but would hate to even guess what one would cost!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts