1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The '93 will have a kick starter, the miles are low, it's a nice looking bike, & the fact that it is still around in that shape most likely means no kid's thrashed it! Maybe look it over CLOSELY and make an offer. m.

3800 miles is low miles!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I like the older one. What is up with those foot rests on the newer one??? Thumbs down, and the seat looks ,,,,, well,,,,not right.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I like the newer one. Those are some HUGE footrests! I have the OEM footrests still, if that is bugging you, I'll give them to you. ;)

Seat is definitely modded, that could be a really good thing, as the OEM is a torture rack. I'd offer him $3,000. If it's as clean as it looks and he has good maintenance records that is not out of line.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Looking at the pic a bit closer, (1993) looks like a bit of use on the bike...

If you can turn a wrench, you could have it all fixed up the way you want it for a few $$.

Things to look at, chain & sprockets, Worn, OK, or recently replaced? Are those original tires? Forks in good shape? Rims straight? Rust inside of gas tank? And how does it start & run? & run when it's warmed up?

The reason I posted this bit, is that this is at a dealer, so they most likely won't budge on the price very far... The other side of the coin is that these bikes are overbuilt, so if it looks good, and the stuff mentioned is up to par, this could be a good deal. Otherwise, keep looking, patience will pay off. m.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The 2008 is a nice bike too! Check everything already mentioned, & do what Rocky TFS advised!

Sooo... It depends on your personal criteria... Those are both potential good buys. Others will come up as well if you need to wait. Pick one to go look at, don't be in a hurry to buy. m.

·
Registered
19,564 Posts
Killer Sponge Bob Square Pants footrests on the 2008, you could grill toasted sandwiches on them when camping. It's other accessories like seat and racks are personal choices. For the price differential you could add new tires and any accessories you prefer to the older one and still be dollars ahead and have a kick starter which are currently hard to find.
Both are reasonable machines.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
The older one seems quite good for the price....

When you are looking make darn sure that you are WELL aware of the oil filter problem.....
I would be extremely careful about running any TW without knowing that it has the RIGHT filter in it.

If you have not followed this thread you need to Read it and understand what can happen.

The solution is to make sure the seller is aware of the problem and have him open the bleed valve and show you that the oil is circulating up to the head. It is a simple procedure and takes a minute.

Here is a link to the thread... Us old TW guys are aware of the problem but Newbees are not!

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/18704-drove-my-new-tw200-1997-10-miles-she-locked-up.html

·
Registered
816 Posts
i like the 93. Low miles in my book. My 93 has 16k on it now. ive been to that shop in ellensburg before and i think its a nice place. price seems fair as well. I had more than that into the free tw I got a few years back. look it over closely and offer accordingly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank You all for the info. I am leaning towards the 93. But the other is set up more to my taste. Talked to both parties and they are probably ok deals.The more expensive one is owned by a fella that sounds like he takes care of his stuff.Said he changes oil every couple hundred miles. But no kick starter. Not a deal breaker but it would be nice. But it has racks. I think if they are there next weekend I will go look at them. Gonna be patient but it is hard.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
the '93 will need new tires at the least... budget $220-250, + taxes and out the door you're close to $2000.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I like the older one. What is up with those foot rests on the newer one??? Thumbs down, and the seat looks ,,,,, well,,,,not right.
I'd like that seat if it's soft. The only difference I have found from stock to Seat Concepts is, it's just a wider board.

·
Registered
319 Posts
This first one is stupid money. Don't even begin on that one. Crazy high. I just gave $3,200.00 for my 2013 with 65 miles on it.
Wait, you'll find one.

https://pullman.craigslist.org/mcy/5477174895.html
Price a little higher than I would prefer and the miles are getting up there but nice shape and it has racks and pegs. About 25 miles from home.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/snd/5473842076.html
Older but good shape.Higher miles. No racks. 200 or so miles from home.

Thanks, palousetw200[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
319 Posts
The second one is good and it's at a dealership. Dealership is good and bad. Bad because you'll have tax but good because you should be able to get a 90 day
warranty out of them and they want to have another customer/rider so they'll play nice with you.
If they are not nice, don't bother with them.

Honestly I agree with what else has been said in that it has a kickstarter which I find novel and cute and fun and not all that important but just plain cool.
Then, it has that crummy front drum brake and if you plan to ride off road, fine, but on road, I'd see about converting to disk.
My drum brake on my 2013 works like you'd think but it's crazy unsafe in my opinion.
Perhaps it's because the front disk works too good and I'm used to disk and ABS brakes on motorcycles.
Depends on the riding you'll do.
That second one though is fine but get them to go $1,500.00 out the door pricing.

https://pullman.craigslist.org/mcy/5477174895.html
Price a little higher than I would prefer and the miles are getting up there but nice shape and it has racks and pegs. About 25 miles from home.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/snd/5473842076.html
Older but good shape.Higher miles. No racks. 200 or so miles from home.

Thanks, palousetw200[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts