TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,419 Posts
EWB, that doesn't look much like the Elk Mountain Road we rode. Just where did that Joemama take us anyways?:p
Actually looks like fun, plenty of asphalt or dust. Might be best with a little more soil moisture, or in the spring before traffic breaks up soil's dry strength liberating those small loose dust sized particles.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
That airport at 7:10 we crossed on one of our group rides -- the one where I didn't wear a jacket and was a bit chilly at the end of the day. It was a Josh led ride.

·
Registered
19,419 Posts
That ride could have benefited from better destinations. Why not something like riding to and from Usal Beach west of Leggitt . Beach camping, Roosevelt elk, Lost Coast hugging dirt roads? Usal Beach.jpg

Or Matole Beach area outside of Petrolia? matolle beack.jpg

Or even farther north ..Gold Beach, Klammouth areas with lots of redwoods. 100843249.jpg 8882803.jpg
In addition to all the National Forest land most of the parks have numerous roads to explore leading to scenic groves, overlooks and hidden beaches.

Besides, where else are you gonna see butterflies munching on otter poop. 19176758.jpg

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
After looking at seemingly endless video I came across what I believe is the runway at 7:10.

About to cross:
Approaching Runway.jpg

Looking towards the lake:
Looking to lake.jpg

Looking away from the lake:
Looking away.jpg

If I owned a plane I don't think I would use that runway. It looked pretty rough.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
EWB, plan it and they will come. This would be a terrific TW ride. These guys started from the same campground that we used for our last ride. The very same Elk Mountain Rd. that we rode. We only rode about 4 of the approximately 30 miles of it. On the Round up ride we rode the section from Penny Pines to Pillsbury. We also rode trail 65, the old road. This would have to be a ride and camp because of the distance. Timing would be important as at 6800 ft. Hull Mountain is often covered in snow. Let's get this going.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fred I was just looking at matole on Google earth. I will see what I can put together on paper then run it by you all. what may look good on g earth may not be ideal

·
Registered
19,419 Posts
Yes EWB, a lot of the dirt roads certainly might be closed to us. I am no expert, I only explored a few dirt roads paralleling the coast once around Shelter Cove. However most of the paved back roads should be TW friendly: twisty, narrow and/or steep. I have seen beach camping from free to $35/night.
All I know is wherever I go traveling without my bike I tend to see good riding opportunities.
My nature is to tend to ferry bike to a scenic base camp then do daily rides out and back from base. Rhodetrip is the one who knows how to Adventure Tour with camp gear aboard.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Sorry, Fred.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Might say it has been a lifetime ago. Rode the lost coast three times on a bicycle. Twice on a road bike and once on a mt. bike. In an effort to conjure up some memories, Saskia and I recently revisited that area a week before Memorial Day on our way to Grants Pass. LOTS of Cannabis growing in the area. Next time you pass through Patrolia take a look at/in the 'fire station'. Have my doubts that tax dollars purchased all that nice equipment. Guess as the expression goes, 'we take care of our own'. Would be inclined to say, kudo's to you.. Many of the roads you see on Google Earth are likely 'service' roads for large cattle ranches. On one bicycle ride, another fellow and I hopped a fence a couple of blocks West of highway 1 in Rio Dell. From there we rode to pavement just North of the beach (lost coast). We were at the top of what bicyclists affectionately call the "wall". We got to ride down. I would be willing to bet $50 in beer money that you will no longer find those areas open to interlopers/trespassers like Ken and I. During our recent drive, Saskia and I noted upgraded fencing and lots more signs. So if it does not appear to be a 'public' road I would consider it category IV dirt. Think that suggests 'very dangerous'. Then again, it is just a feeling I have.

·
Registered
19,419 Posts
When there a decade ago I did notice evidence that the marijuana trade seemed an accepted but laid back part of the local economies. Didn't affect me as we were just there for the coastal experience....beaches, surf, clam chowder and grilled salmon. And actually some of the bottled wine sold out of barrels at convenience stores by struggling local wineries can be quite good for just a few bucks. Having pot growers is probably better than having the meth labs, Mexican tar heroin or refined opiates that some of you have poisoning your communities IMHO.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Good place to camp is the fairgrounds in Ferndale.Ride from there the Lost Coast or Westport on the coast and ride the Usual road from there. Lots of great riding in my book. Pot growers don't bother me,JMO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts