TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your opinions on TW Windscreens. Short ones, tall ones, TW specific or generic. What is your favorite? Is anyone using TCI Products Adventure Touring Wind Screen - Yamaha TW200 87-up? Cold weather is coming, boo hoo!

·
Registered
953 Posts
We saw our first snow last night. Im picking up a set of new STI black diamond tires, and some kold kutter carbides, and mounting some pogies on my handlebars. With these accessories not the snow or the wind or the rain shall keep me from my appointed rounds. There are loads of packed and groomed snomachine trails here, that give access to country thats impossible to see in the summer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are your opinions on TW Windscreens. Short ones, tall ones, TW specific or generic. What is your favorite? Is anyone using TCI Products Adventure Touring Wind Screen - Yamaha TW200 87-up? Cold weather is coming, boo hoo!
Snow already? I'm just thinking cooler days here. What's a pogie? I might want some myself.

·
Super Moderator
15,693 Posts
View this thread and it may give you some idea's. http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/12081-who-rides-year-round-3.html

I saw a question you raised in another thread and not sure I can answer it for you, but I use the Slipstream Spitfire. It fits the TW just fine. Handle bar mounts are what I'd call "universal". I leave my mounts on all year just in case I want to ride with the windscreen. You know for bugs and stuff. Cold ain't the only thing the screens are usefull for. I also use ATV Mitts. Boy they keep my hands toasty once you get use to them. Some folks also add heated grips, but I didn't want the hassel of adding electrical components. As for tires, if you're riding on the pavement up there in Pullman, then save riding for when the roads are clear. If you ride the trails and logging roads like I do sometimes, then you could go to the extreme of adding chains, tire studs etc. Just depends.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a fair weather rider so far. Not saying I won't go maniac as I grow accustom to it. Just started riding this spring and right away began personalizing the bike. I thought a windshield would be useful. I was thinking something bigger than the spitfire. Maybe the viper, but I'm open to opinions!? I'll put your atv gloves and tire chains in the back of my mind for future consideration. You're an inspiration!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I ordered a Tour Master Transition 3 jacket. But it was too small so I have to send it back. I ordered an XL which I always wear in jackets and which, according to the size chart, should have fit. But it didn't, especially the sleeve length. It looked really nice, so I'll be reordering a different size.

That being said, it will not be for riding in the dead of winter! The TW hibernates during the winter. I'm going to Belize for a couple of weeks and will be doing some skiing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a cheap (130.00) scorpion jacket. The sleeves are a little long for walking around but great when riding the bike. They tuck up against my gloves and make a decent seal. I took the liner out this summer, but today I'm putting it back in.
I went to Belize 30 years ago and loved it. I remember being served iguana like it was chicken, but that was 30 years ago and I'm a little more conscience now. A TW would have been a blast then.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
A TW in Belize would be a sure way to meet some locals, probably armed, who don't leave any witnesses.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I ordered a Tour Master Transition 3 jacket. But it was too small so I have to send it back. I ordered an XL which I always wear in jackets and which, according to the size chart, should have fit. But it didn't, especially the sleeve length. It looked really nice, so I'll be reordering a different size.

That being said, it will not be for riding in the dead of winter! The TW hibernates during the winter. I'm going to Belize for a couple of weeks and will be doing some skiing.
I had the same problem trying to get gear that fits.
I bought close out jackets. So I saved enough that I bought 2 one's my going to town. It fits nice except its to tight in the sleeves, so no sweatshirts under. The other is to big, all over sleeves are 3 inches to long. I can actually wear it over the other. It's my DD jacket and when I get chest and shoulder pads they will fit under. And I had another that was huge huge huge. That one I have resold.
I bought pants that are so big I get dressed including boots and pull them on over.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Jeans, jacket, gloves and possibly a face mask will suffice through most of the winter down here. BUT when the humidity is high on cold days in January and February, 40 feels like 15 in Mississippi!

·
Registered
394 Posts
My TW prefers to snooze when it gets cold out. I'll be running the KLR until the roads ice though. That big pig has been set with a taller windscreen and a plug-in for my electric coat. Big 'ol handguards, winter gloves and overpants take care of the rest.

Speaking of electric grips and such, how much wattage do we have to play with on the TW's?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Not much. Switching to an HID headlight and LED bulbs everywhere else gains about 30 watts on the 2001 and up, the earlier models already have a low wattage headlight, so switching everything else to LEDs will gain about 10 watts. 10 watts is enough to alternate grip and toe warmers on low, and everything else is a matter of proper wicking, insulation, and wind proofing layers. I've done extended rides in the 20s, commuted 15 miles in the teens, and ridden 5 miles across town for coffee at -11 just alternating toe and grip warmers on low, with polypropylene wicking, polypropylene fleece pants and shirt, mesh gear, a rain suit, and insulated boots and gloves. Also, Hippo hands and a good full face helmet with the vents taped shut. I would not go far dependent on electric heat because of the possibility of catastrophic consequences if a system failed.

·
Registered
23,298 Posts
Polypropylene underwear, zip-off powder pants , ski bib or just gaitors on legs. Vest, neck gaitor and winter coat on top. Tape off vents on helmet. Ride slower, lower air pressure to single digits for snow riding, or just wish I lived in Florida.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Around here I'm gonna start wearing my fake-leather chaps, and put the liner back in the First Gear jacket.

Oh, and find my full fingered gloves. The ones with a bit of felt lining.

:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.