TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ninja 500 that is only good for parts and it has a really big front disk - not sure the exact size but probably 300-350mm and my 2001 TW probably has what a 220mm disk I think the specs say? It would make a big difference in stopping power which would be nice in the mean time while I'm riding it until it finally sells, which would help sell it too cause the TW disk is definitely not the biggest bite in the world.

So, would it just be a matter of swapping out the disk and the caliper or do I have do swap out all the lines and brake fluid reservoir too? How complicated can it get? Seems simple but I thought I would ask before I take the TW's brake apart.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Don't go taking it apart so quick.

Your Ninja disc won't fit the "3 groups of 2" bolt pattern on your TW wheel. No how, no way, short of having an adapter plate machined. Then you'd need to have a plate machined to move your existing caliper to the rear so it will clear the new disc, and have it returned to the correct offset.

Lotsa work and cubic dollars.

There may be an existing kit for one of the few other bikes which share our bolt psattern. Early YZ80's Xt's and TTR's are among the few but there probably isn't much demand.

Cubic dollars again, but complete kits with less chance of you ending up room temperature.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I have a ninja 500 that is only good for parts and it has a really big front disk - not sure the exact size but probably 300-350mm and my 2001 TW probably has what a 220mm disk I think the specs say? It would make a big difference in stopping power which would be nice in the mean time while I'm riding it until it finally sells, which would help sell it too cause the TW disk is definitely not the biggest bite in the world.

So, would it just be a matter of swapping out the disk and the caliper or do I have do swap out all the lines and brake fluid reservoir too? How complicated can it get? Seems simple but I thought I would ask before I take the TW's brake apart.

Thanks
Don't even think about it, no way. The Tw is a pretty light bike so ur disc should work fine. I have a 89 with the drum and it stops me just fine.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Don't even bother cause the bike doesn't even go that fast to need bigger brakes. Plus its a big negative if you go off roading. Your bound to bang it up and bend it being that big.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Assuming I did the conversion correctly, the price isn't all that bad. I doubt you could get a Galfer or similar kit for any less domestically, even if they offered one.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
FWIW, the biggest STANDARD rotor I've found for our bolt pattern is a 245mm, used on some old YZ's and 2-stroke WR's.

Just thought I'd save some of you from reinventing the wheel, so ta speak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts