TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the day (ya, I know, here we go again) there was a time for me of open face helmets. The Tdub has had it reserface for me. I bought a cheepy open face cause I figured it would be all I need for most of the off road work the Tdub does. And, fer sure, the Moab trip in March proved just that. But, here's the thing. I seem to be getting bee stung more and more in the last number years. So much so that it's got me pretty buttoned up tight on the highway, full faced, ATGATT, and all. I just can't remember it happening that much, if at all BITD. There was nary a bug at Moab at that time of year so the evil bee thoughts were far from my head. But, back in the GWN (you figure it out) we have had an exceptional spring and just when the buds were starting to happen a few weeks back I was out merrily trepsing (trepsing?) along and a wasp flew into the side of the open face. I was able to reach in quick and roll the bugger out but not before he scraped me slightly with his weapon of choice and left my side of jaw itching for a week or so. And now I'm back to full face and button up.
It's not just paranoia for me. Last year walking (yes walking) at our local HU meet, wearing one of my many flowery Hawaiian shirts, I watched a bee fly straight at me, go down the front and tit sting me good. Almost needed a Brozeer after that one. Then last fall I had a big Mufferfluffer hiding in a candy wrapper I reached into who got me good between my pinky and second digit. That on was work documenting. 20151030_083525 (Medium).jpg
This year I am trying for less.:p

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
When I was a young lad, hornets and bees did not make to big an ipression on me. Now it is a whole different story. Last time I got stung I swelled up big time. Of course I got hit about 12 times in the elbow and face, but the swelling was like I had not had before. I am getting a bit leery of them now. I catch one up my sleeve on occasion, but wear a good face shield while at highway speeds. Have been hit too many times to not take precautions.

·
Super Moderator
5,317 Posts
You only have to look at your visor in Summer to see what’s out there – big buggers - some of them must be carrying concealed ………

In Spain a few years ago – a honey bee decided to settle on my arm. Nudged it up to the tip of my middle finger, turned it into the wind and waited. I’d heard from some programme or another that breathing on them can set them off (they think it’s a mammal attack apparently, and puts the whole nest on scramble). After a few minutes it lifted off into the wind and went on its merry way – my wife who was watching was most impressed. Looking back on it, it was a gamble at best that I wouldn’t end up with a throbbing finger tip – sometimes they do – sometimes they don’t.

But sitting in the garden last year with a glass of fruit juice, I took a sip, and felt something bite me on my upper lip – it was a wasp who’d had enough of swimming, but didn’t fancy what came next. Didn’t sting me which would have perfectly understandable – just nipped my lip with its jaws – never understood that one. Mind you, the “fruit juice” was alcoholic – he may have been pissed, but in a nice way.

Now - if only the mosquitos on my recent holiday had such manners ……..

·
Registered
928 Posts
When I was a tiny precious little girl of five or six, a neighboring friend and I would hunt bees in our back yard clover. The fuzzy little black and yellow things would settle on a white flower and we'd STOMP stun them, then gently put them in a little lunch box to keep. They made a terrific sound when the box was shaken. We did that occasionally to wake them up because we were going to have honey, dontcha know! Funny enough, we never got stung during this whole operation.

Of course, when Mom saw what we were doing, she was very angry and explained how foolish and cruel we were being. She asked how long we'd been doing this, and I couldn't remember so I opened the lunchbox to count the bees.................

Mad scramble ensued as the few little fuzzy balls of fury flew out of the box. Luckily, most of them were dead, and the rest were just a little fuzzy (too shaken up and overheated in a metal lunch box, I think). I remember realizing that we'd killed the ones that weren't moving anymore and started to crying. One or two of those not quite dead yet valiantly buzz-crawled along the edge, and I picked one up to put it back on a flower in apology. Of course it stung the beejeezuz out of me! LOL! But one look from Mom and I took it without a word. It was the best lesson that 'do unto others' covers all of creation, not just people.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
As young boys me and my brother attacked a Yellow jacket nest with squirt guns but forgot to cover our flank. I got slammed by a dozen of those bastards and spent two week in intensive care from an allergic reaction to their deadly venom. Close to death for a few days. Fast forward and I married a gal who had never been stung by a bee but when it did happen her arm swelled up in minutes and it began going up her arm in less than 5 minutes. I piled her in the truck and made a mad dash to the ER just in time before her throat closed off. Fortunately we are both only allergic to the Yellow Jackets but any bee stings cause us severe problems.

I ride my bike with a jacket and closed cuffs even in 90 degrees and my helmet is the modular type that flips up when I stop. I took a direct hit from a big Bumble Bee to my chest back some years ago at around 100 MPH in a T shirt that about took me off the bike. He did not have the guts to do that again but I spent a couple weeks with a big purple welt on my chest from the ordeal.

Dress for the occasion!

GaryL

·
Registered
814 Posts
I'm sellectively lucky. Wasp hurts a little. Bees are like other peoples mosquito bites for me. I can eat poison ivy and rub poison oak on my skin. But spiders can put a hard half golf ball on me. Then it turns into a spongy half baseball before going away. Full face and armored jacket whenever I leave my neighborhood.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I had a big fat June bug hit me smack dead center of my forehead one time at highway speeds or a bit more..;) Yep, it does feel like could knock you off your bike for a sec.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I had a big fat June bug hit me smack dead center of my forehead one time at highway speeds or a bit more..;) Yep, it does feel like could knock you off your bike for a sec.
Years back a guy on a cycle got hit in the chest by a turkey.................. Hit him so hard that it killed him.. If that happens, I guess it was your time.....:angel11: OMM.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Arg....the stories I could tell you about being stung or hit by bugs, while riding. ;)

Yesterday, SanDue (Dan) had a WASP in his jacket, down his neck, and into his back. The WASP was so big (how big was it), that it was carrying a sign...Vote for Donald Trump :rolleyes:

If I could have, I would have STOMPED on that WASP. :p
If I could I would hang that sign on my front door! I am just so tired of "More of the same old crap" with all of these political losers. I think it is "Time for a cool change" and the group Triumph did a very fine song with that title that one of you computer wizards could probably add right here.

No need for Hate now, you can waste your vote on Hillary if you like and we can Beech about it for the next 4-8 years.

GaryL

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
677 Posts
Arg....the stories I could tell you about being stung or hit by bugs, while riding. ;)

Yesterday, SanDue (Dan) had a WASP in his jacket, down his neck, and into his back. The WASP was so big (how big was it), that it was carrying a sign...Vote for Donald Trump :rolleyes:

If I could have, I would have STOMPED on that WASP. :p
Hahaha-------Hope you all had a good laugh about Dan getting bee stung! The little bad bug, BAD BUG! The darn wasp flys inside my helmet and stings me on the back of the neck. Dang that hurt! DANG THAT HURT AGAIN!! I stop the bike, remove my prescription sunglasses that I picked up that mourning before the ride. Set them down and wham I'm stung again! Off with the helmet,coat, long sleeve shirt, wham stings me again. Off with two tee shirts and now I'm standing their half naked swating at a wasp somewhere on my back. It must have been a wasp because it felt like Cinnimon Fire Ball Whiskey coming out my sinuses, another story another time. I put my gear back on and realize no one is coming to my rescue. I started to panic thinking I was going to be left behind as Sue was carrying the lunch. Evidently Sue and TWilight were in the mood for a good laugh and waited for me. I catch up with them sitting on the side of the road. They had a good laugh at my expense and off we went again. Come to think about it, once we got riding again the pain went away along with all my cares in the world! Dirts a Flyen. SanDue. :p:D

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I guess I can see the humor in this post but for those of us who are Hypo Allergenic to the stings from bees and go into anaphylaxis shock there really isn't much humor to it. I personally would rather face off with a bear than a bee so I suppose that is my lot in life. Those tiny little SOBs can really have a detrimental effect that is deadly and you damn sure don't want to be in my way when a swarm of bees is on the war path after me.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I guess I can see the humor in this post but for those of us who are Hypo Allergenic to the stings from bees and go into anaphylaxis shock there really isn't much humor to it. I personally would rather face off with a bear than a bee so I suppose that is my lot in life. Those tiny little SOBs can really have a detrimental effect that is deadly and you damn sure don't want to be in my way when a swarm of bees is on the war path after me.

GaryL
I'm sorry you have such reactions to them Gary. I saved a neighbor's life a few years ago who got stung bad. I have a sister with the same problem, so I knew what was happening; luckily for him. You are right, they can kill you and it doesn't take very long to do it.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The thing about Bees is that you never know who, where or when a person could have a serious reaction. I know a lot of adults who have never been stung by a bee so they simply do not know if they are allergic to them or not. Then there are those like me and my wife who are only allergic to the venom in the Yellow Jackets but other bee stings just hurt and itch like any of the rest of us.

My 90 year old neighbor always said he has never had poison ivy but it damn near killed him last spring after he cleaned up some bushes by his fence. I had a sister in law who was deathly allergic to eggs that were raw but could eat them once cooked. There are some wild things out there to be very careful with like some people can't go anywhere near peanuts or shell fish and I have seen a lot of people go into anaphylaxis shock that never knew they were allergic to anything.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
My previous wife was allergic to bee stings. I always carried an Epi Pen with me when we rode together...and she was on her own bike, too.

On more than one occasion I had to quickly inject her ...when the situation called for it. It can be deadly....but that EssoBee joke was damn funny :D
Yup! Up here all the cops are now carrying Narcam in their cars to reverse the affects of an opioid overdose. All the EMTs and ambulances already carry a good supply of Epi Pens and I suspect the cops will too in the near future.

GaryL

·
Registered
677 Posts
Being a professional Gardner I have expirenced so many stings I can tell the identity of the insect by the pain. A honey bee wipes me out. Lots of pain and more swelling. Lots of swelling. Hornets, will sting more then once and burns for a long time. The paper wasps stings are extreamly painful but don't last very long. I don't have any lasting effects from wasp stings,but honey bees are starting to worry me. Sue also has expirenced bees under the shirt. No modesty here, the shirt comes off and the "bee dance" commences. Much more exciting then a wet T-shirt contest! Dirts a Flyen SanDue����

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
They seem to go in spells or periods for me. I want to say I went 15 years or more not being stung. Then two years ago I got hit like five times. All of them hurt like that Esso Bee and took a good five days to a week before they healed to just a nasty itch. Then I got stung twice last year and the last of those made me sit down and I felt like I was in a daze. I could breath fine but I felt stoned, not in a good way. My daughter got me a couple of eppy pens but I don't think it was anaphylactic shock I was going through.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My bro is now allergic. Just happened one time. He now carries the pen. I've just been diagnosed with emphysema thanks to my welding days I guess (cause I dont even smoke). But the COPD means my resistance to all things (except wimmen) is way down. So, maybe I better look up the eppi thang.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
My bro is now allergic. Just happened one time. He now carries the pen. I've just been diagnosed with emphysema thanks to my welding days I guess (cause I dont even smoke). But the COPD means my resistance to all things (except wimmen) is way down. So, maybe I better look up the eppi thang.
And emphysema never gets better, it is permanent damage and will affect you forever. I have both COPD and emphysema. :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts