TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a dumb question but how does everyone clean the mud off you bikes. I don't want to screw anything up with the power washer. Electrical or intakes

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i've often though about spraying the underside with some kind of teflon spray to try and keep dirt off, but... it's a dirt bike.

i do hose it off after real mud, figuring clogged fins can't help engine cooling.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Wait for it to rain. Otherwise I just use my water bottle and a towel to clean off the tag so I don't get a ticket. It's a dual sport and like a jeep it looks better muddy.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
592 Posts
Lightly rinse,lightly wash with some car soap,lightly rinse,dry,coat all metal parts with bombardier lube

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I just give the kid next door 10 bucks for a wash and wax. ;)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hotsy washer, carefully. I do not spray the headlight, handlebars, or hard on the right side cover. I do, however, spray up under the fender -- if the mud that's there didn't hurt anything, hot fresh water will not, either.

I honestly do not think a garden hose or pressure washer (NOT TOO CLOSE) can hurt an MX bike. Or, at least it shouldn't. After having my TW almost totally disassembled I saw that the wiring, when connected properly, is mostly waterproof. Yes, a TW held under water for any length of time would probably require some drying but I haven't damaged mine yet.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I generally wash mine with a garden hose set at a gentle to moderate flow. I use a cheap old paintbrush rather than blasting with the hose. I can run a hose off my water heater in the garage for hot water....works great!
For dried mud I have to use more pressure, and I will use a car wash from time to time on trips if I can't get to a regular hose. I try to NEVER directly spray the chain, carburetor, handlebars, or instrument cluster. At a car wash, I often don't pull the trigger and just use the lighter spray, except for under the engine and fenders.

The most important thing you can do, regardless of your washing technique, is TAKE IT FOR A RIDE IMMEDIATELY!!! Use the brakes several times, and if you can, get up to 40 or more to spin water off chain and sprockets. About 5 minutes should get it all dry. Then lube the chain.:cool:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Only use a garden hose & car wash'n'wax shampoo, sometimes use Jizer degreaser on the rims, engine & under the back fender. Just use a sponge & have an assortment of brushes, paint brushes, toothbrushes & bottle brushes to get to the fiddly bits
Once it's dried out always apply WD40 to rims(spokes), engine area, any other nuts/boltheads, some polish on the tank & chrome bits, & Armoral on the plastics
Still looking respectable after almost 16 years including winter road work & the dreaded salt

·
Registered
592 Posts
I know I should wd-40 the spokes,but what about the black painted rims? Should I wax those or wd-40 as well?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I know I should wd-40 the spokes,but what about the black painted rims? Should I wax those or wd-40 as well?
Living in New Joiysey, you probably should wax them. They will probably start rusting in 5 or 6 years. But then, so will everything else on the bike......:eek:

Maybe you should try BoeShield T9, it's more of a waxy type of corrosion protection. I've been using it for years. WD-40 really not that good of a corrosion shield, it's more of a water displacement treatment and lubricant, great for immediately after immersion.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I actually dont use wd-40...I actually use Bombardier lube. Same stuff I spray my seadoo engine and metal parts down with. My seadoo is an 06 and used in salt water. No rust on engine parts at all. I swear by the Bombardier lube over wd-40

Im gonna wax up the rims wirth some mothers wax for now

I will check out the T9. Thanks!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Rain.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I wiped mine with an old towel once.

There were a lot of little leaves stuck on it from sitting under an ornimental tree in a rain shower.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I agree WD40 can't be classed as permanent protection but I wash mine regular & it's easy to get off
For more permanent protection I use grease, chain lube or ACF50, if I think it's going to be dirty for a while, say in winter when there's salt on the road
I'm going to see what Bombardier lube is, not heard of that

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
rarely wash it. I just keep the engine clean and maybe clear out mud from fenders with garden hose.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts