TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that instead of buying one of the ragged-out used bikes around here, I may just focus on getting out of CC debt until summer comes around, and then buy a new one. I suspect that some of the bikes on the showroom floors have been there a few years, and would like to know if there is a way to figure out the build date. A sticker or VIN code that might give it away, would help me negotiate the price.

Also, what sort of out-the-door prices are people finding, especially on old-inventory bikes?

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Good steategy Riskeverything, but also keep eye out for private party sale of low milage TW. People find some amazingly good deals on lightly used TWs. Try posting craigs list wanted adds in a broader geographic area. Even if you have to rent a pick-up or trailer when you go look at used TW you are dollars ahead of depreciation on a new or last years model from a dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've only bought one bike off the showroom floor, (a KLR) and we couldn't quite agree on a price we both could live with, so I told him I'd pay his number if he threw in a new helmet and the first oil change. We were both satisfied with that.

If you need any gear, you might give that a try.

DLT

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a tough area for "cheap" TWs. The only one I found in town was a "rode hard and left out wet" 27,000 mile 2007 that had obviously been crashed offroad a few times, and he wanted $1650 for it. That was the cheapest one I've seen, too. I live in FL near Tampa, so the geological area is smaller than you'd expect. There are no mer-men selling TWs to the West of me, and there is only land for 3 hours to the East of me. I use Search Tempest set to a 500 mile radius and that basically just covers FL.

The reason for considering a new bike from the dealer is so I can make payments. I'll be rather broke by the time summer gets here as I am literally throwing every available dollar against my credit cards in an effort to get out of debt. Yes, I know a payment plan equals debt, but some dealers are offering no money down, $100 month ( 2013 YAMAHA TW200 DUAL PURPOSE ). That is nothing compared to the $750/month I'm shelling out now. I would also like to have a warranty as it'll be my first bike, I barely even know how to ride, and I've never worked on a motorcycle before. I'd leave it mostly stock until the warranty ran out and parts start wearing out.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Just a opinion from a "old fool" ....pay off those f***ing Credit Cards, cut em' up and don't look back....I have one Discover Card and a Gas Card.....and leave ZERO on them each month, unless something major comes up.....learned the hard way 30 years ago...."Cash is King" Because I have been there and done that....I plan on dying broke, but out of debt:cool:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've already paid off and shredded one, and the last will be paid off and shredded by June. Then a bit of a bank loan to be paid off by December, and I am "debt free" besides some "school loans".

Trying to repair and sell the Honda (88 Wagovan) and finish assembling the Jeep ('88 Comanche) and maybe sell it, too. Then decide where and how I want to live and move there.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I've already paid off and shredded one, and the last will be paid off and shredded by June. Then a bit of a bank loan to be paid off by December, and I am "debt free" besides some "school loans".

Trying to repair and sell the Honda (88 Wagovan) and finish assembling the Jeep ('88 Comanche) and maybe sell it, too. Then decide where and how I want to live and move there.
Having grown up in South Florida{in Venice, just a few miles south of where you are at}, I love the warm weather, but not the crowds, heat, or summer humidity, but if I had to do it all over again, I would either live in the foothills of southern Colorado just north of the New Mexico border, or go south to Everglades City, and chuck it all...fish, drink good ale and drambuie, and ride a damn T~Dub 365 days a year near and in the Everglades...but hey, this is some soon to be 65 year old man, waxing nostalgic:confused4: But do cut those CC down and live your life debt free{or at least with "good debt" house, investments, etc} but live it the way you want to....it's the only way to go.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
sounds like you have a good plan...i agree with these guys...pay off the debt...i have 2 credit cards that i pay right when the bills come in...one of them i use only for gas and the other i use for everything else...keep an eye on search tempest and vary your searching keywords (spaces will make a difference) to see if you can find a good deal on a used one...otherwise as long as you aren't going to dig yourself another hole with new bike payments that isn't a bad way to go (personally i would go used if you can find a good deal)...as far as modifying the bike and voiding the warranty...i would imagine most bolt on parts are ok just don't mess with the engine, jetting or gearing till you're out of warranty...but refer to the warranty to be sure...any work you need done to make it run right have the dealer do...good luck man!

here is what i found on search tempest within 500 miles of you... i searched tw200 and tw 200...
TW 200
1995 Yamaha TW 200 MUST SELL ASAP
Yamaha TW 200
Yamaha TW 200 Dual-Sport
2007 Yamaha TW 200 Dual Sport
89 Yamaha 4 stroke Enduro/ TRADE Tires AR15
1995 yamaha tw 200
Yamaha TW200
2003 Yamaha TW200 - Clear Title - New Tires
04 yamaha tw200
Yamaha tw200 street legal dirt bike
yamaha duel sport tw200

cool but i wouldn't suggest you buy an 87...
1987 Yamaha TW200 Custom Bobber

10th letter of the VIN number of a US bike will tell you the year...
http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/6257-how-do-i-tell-year-model-i-have.html
Vehicle identification number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vehicle Identification Number Model Year Indicator (10th digit)

VIN number is located on the head tube...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts