TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know...I know...been discussed a million plus times.... batt puked a couple of days ago....just got really used to that start button over the years...don't mind kickin...but hate pushing.....

·
Super Moderator
17,923 Posts
I wouldn't have it any other way.
But then again, mine came with one.:hiding:

I'm spoiled. :binkybaby:

:D

Bro, ya need to git cha one. It can be mighty handy to have in a pinch.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I gota 2014, wish I had a kick start, but I don't. I learned long ago to replace my batteries ( bass boat, cars, truck ) after 5 years or the first sign of a faulty cell. Batteries are cheep compared to the hassle and inconvience of being stuck. Your going to have to replace it anyway, so get pro-active.
I can buy at least 5 batteries for the cost of a kickstart kit. Although this is my first bike w/out a kickstart, I do feel a little cheated...!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I've only had a failure to start requiring a push start once in 11,000 miles. I changed the OEM battery to an AGM at the beginning (2010), and replaced it a year ago. What I discovered, other than the usual battery abuse ( not riding often, not removing in the winter and/or keeping it trickle charged), is that at low speeds in the dirt, with the headlight on all the time and the always on turn signals, that the stator just can't keep up....it needs about 4,000 RPM to charge the battery above that draw. I just pulled the low beam connector and the front always on signal lamp connectors, and now I can leave the GPS on all the time with its direct to battery SAE connector.

I never ride at night, so I saved 4 amps by doing this. Haven't had a failure to start now in two years.

Actually, the OEM lead/acid batteries' are more resistant to low charge rates than the AGM's, but the other advantages of the AGM's outweigh this. If you don't ride several times a week with at least 20 minutes of moderate to high RPM's, you need to use a Battery Tender on a regular basis.

·
Registered
638 Posts
When I purchased my 2004 TW (ala no kick starter) it didn't have a working battery. So I got one ordered, but who can wait? I found 3rd gear to be my push of choice gear.
TWLIGHT that is a majorly generous offer. I don't think work will let me attend Moab, but (cough, cough) I think I might feel something (cough cough) coming on.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
This is an interesting topic and thanks for the offer TWilight, but I am not sure I want one.
I have riden my WR for 5 years without one with no issues, but I am aware that if I stop (kill switch, stall, crash) to turn off the bike and there have been challenging rides where the bike has been stalled many times and I have had no issues with the battery. My TW has such high mileage (48000+ km) and does have a toggle switch mod for the front head light and I rarely stall it that I don't see the need. That being said I have only had the TW a few months and have not had to start it on a really cold day yet.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
I like a kick start for the same reason I like a manual transmission transmission in cars: Starting redundancy through independent systems.
A newly , spare, or super hi-tec unobtanium battery will not get the bike running when you have a wiring, starter, relay, switching, solenoid, or simple key left on issue. Hard to get bike up to speed for a third gear bump start when its in the bottom of a mud hole.:p

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
For any type of remote off road riding, I'd just carry a spare 1 pound battery. The battery of course may not always get you out. Kick starters can fail too, but that's why it's so nice to have both.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
My '97 has the best of both worlds, electric & kicker. My experiences & thoughts...

Myself, as well as many others have run into the phenomenon where you have been riding along for say an hour or more, take a quick 5 minute break, and then push that trusty electric start button only to find that the engine turns over fine, rapidly as a matter of fact, but will fail to start. On one ride where I personally experienced this, Jomama told me to give the kick start a try & the bike started immediately. This trick, or procedure if you will, has now helped me several times since. To help dispel speculation, my battery is fine, it's a Shorai lithium, my stator & pick-up coil I changed out for brand new when I first acquired the bike. No charging problems ever. I always run a fresh plug every 250-500 miles. So, why would you or I want a kick starter on a Trailway?

It's a 200cc bike. So as far as kick starting it, no big deal, you simply run the kick start lever around until you feel it come upon top dead center compression stroke, return the kick start lever to its top position, & follow through with a healthy kick with little to no fear of it snapping back on you like a larger displacement engine would / might do. As to this, I can only speculate that Yamaha's decision to discontinue the kick starter on the bike was because they felt that us Americans would try to sue them the first time someone got a boo-boo trying to use this antiquated lever.

The kick start has its place. The TW should have one. Simple as that. If you are going to Moab 2016 it would behoove you to take TWilight up on his incredibly generous offer. Seriously, what a guy! :icon_thumright: Nuf said, m.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have never had a bike with a kick start. Years ago a fellow riders bike battery died mid trip on a cross country trip. I just duck walked the bike as fast as I could and dumped the clutch in 2nd gear and off it went. Did that till we could locate a batt for the bike along our route.

In fact I have started three different bikes that way. Never had issue push starting. That being said it be a lot different off the beaten path on loose surfaces. So eventually I would like to add the kick start to my TW.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I like a kick start for the same reason I like a manual transmission transmission in cars: Starting redundancy through independent systems.
A newly , spare, or super hi-tec unobtanium battery will not get the bike running when you have a wiring, starter, relay, switching, solenoid, or simple key left on issue. Hard to get bike up to speed for a third gear bump start when its in the bottom of a mud hole.:p
This is exactly the reason i installed kickstarts in both of my 2006's.

I also find it is much easier to kick it over than it is to take the seat off when i have had a flat battery.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Okay, HERE is an offer....ya can't refuse. :D

This is a serious offer, so please think about it.

Anyone that shows up in Moab...next March, 2016...with a TW200 that does NOT have a kick start kit on the bike, i.e., 2001 and newer, and haven't installed one yet........

I will install a kick starter kit on your bike......I will do all the labor.......I will bring a bunch of kick starter kits and ALL supplies needed to do the installation....tools...gaskets...shop rags.....etc. etc, etc.

All YOU have to pay for is the actual kick starter kit itself. There will be NO charge for my labor, the use of my tools, equipment, etc.

YOU pay the price for the kick starter kit, no tax added on, just a simple transaction, and I will do the complete, 100 % installation, on the spot, in Moab.

Your bike "may" be down for as much as an hour...give or take....and then it will be done, complete.....new OIL in the engine, etc.

So, if you think you can find a better offer, go for it. Otherwise, bring your TW200, and your sorry arse to Moab, Utah, March, 2016. :D
Wow, that's one of the best deals on the net! I work in the wildland fire sector here in Wisconsin and unfortunately that's my busy season(late Feb-May 15), either lighting prescribed burns or putting out fires on the bad days. Still would like one of those kick-starters though...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Okay, HERE is an offer....ya can't refuse. :D

This is a serious offer, so please think about it.

Anyone that shows up in Moab...next March, 2016...with a TW200 that does NOT have a kick start kit on the bike, i.e., 2001 and newer, and haven't installed one yet........

I will install a kick starter kit on your bike......I will do all the labor.......I will bring a bunch of kick starter kits and ALL supplies needed to do the installation....tools...gaskets...shop rags.....etc. etc, etc.

All YOU have to pay for is the actual kick starter kit itself. There will be NO charge for my labor, the use of my tools, equipment, etc.

YOU pay the price for the kick starter kit, no tax added on, just a simple transaction, and I will do the complete, 100 % installation, on the spot, in Moab.

Your bike "may" be down for as much as an hour...give or take....and then it will be done, complete.....new OIL in the engine, etc.

So, if you think you can find a better offer, go for it. Otherwise, bring your TW200, and your sorry arse to Moab, Utah, March, 2016. :D

~GiGGle~Could you send me directions from Fort Myers, Fl. to this Moab place~GiGGle~

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Come on nipper, it isn't that far...2,260 miles with an estimated travel time of one day, nine hours from Ft. Meyers to TWiligfht's Moab kist starterium.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My TW is currently kick only. It came to me with a seriously dead battery, as in zero volts because it was hot wired with no ignition switch so the tail light was a continuous drain. I replaced the battery with a capacitor. I have since put a Honda XL250 ignition switch on it so I can put a good battery in when I get around to it. But I would take kick-only over electric-only, any day.

I actually considered selling my evo Sportster because it doesn't have kick start. A buddy of mine has a kick-only Super Glide with a high compression S&S shovelhead motor and even with that bike I prefer kick only over electric only.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts