TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious how the tw200 compares to the xt250,klx250s,dr200se,crf250l

all these bikes are in the same general price range and my last post told the that the tw200 isn't that solid for highway use

now I'm curious how much better the tw200 is in the off road category.

Out of the bikes mentioned the only two bikes that interest me is the crf250l and the dr200se.

Also I'm probably going to buy brand new if that helps make a decision because all the bikes are generally the same price excluding the klx.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The traction of the TW tires offroad is quite amazing, but the suspension in stock form leaves a bit to be desired. I can't speak for the other bikes, which may be better sprung, but the TW lacks a bit in that department without some tuning.

The stock gearing on the TW lends itself quite well to riding offroad as well, but whoever told you it lacks a bit on the highway, well, they're right: secondary roads with 55mph speed limits are fine, but the freeway/interstate would be a lot too much for the bike. Some people seem to have good luck doing it, though.

The fact that the TW has a reasonably low seat height, good gearing, and really decent traction makes it a great choice for offroad use. All of the bikes you mentioned (including the TW) can be built to do much better on or offroad, depending on your preference. The factory configuration is a compromise, attempting to get the best of both worlds, and they don't always hit the mark with their compromise.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Pretty subjective question and I bet you'll get alot of response. All depends on your riding ability, experience and how you ride.

All of those 250/200 Dual Sports have way more suspension and brakes than the TW. Depending on the rider, they will all outperform the TW.

The TW advantage is that it has a much lower stance than the others. Makes it much much easier to ride on or off road.

The large tires make it easy to find traction and more than make up for a lack of "trail knowhow"

For the neophyte rider the TW will inspire condfidence and it will outperform the the others for that reason.

For experienced riders the TW allows one to "enjoy the ride" over getting there faster. I wouldn't have tolerated a TW when

I was under 30. Waay too slow. Theses days at age 50, the TW is my unit of choice offroad.

For strictly pavement use the low factor of the TW is again quite nice. The other bikes would be marginally better onroad due to more power and

better brakes, but only marginal. Really IMHO highway speeds require 400cc for me to feel "safe", 1000cc for me to enjoy. Disclaimer: I ride one of my TW's

routinely 40 miles at highway speeds and really enjoy it but I don't feel "safe" (prolly why I like it)

The other factor might be I suspect the TW may be the easiest to maintain of the herd, but not really sure.

All fine choices, You'll not make a bad decision unless you bail on motorcycles all together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The TW is a street legal trail bike, the others are streel legal dirt bikes.
can you explain to me the difference? trail meaning a "road" but without concrete and dirt being no path at all?

btw thats an awesome quote

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
TW200, No road? No trail? No problem. I'm sure others can explain it better than I can, dirt riders seem to want speed, old farts like me on a trail bike could care less about speed, or pavement, or roads.
It's an apples and oranges thing, either one will make you grin. At this stage in my riding life, I'll happily trade power and speed for a low seat and traction.

·
Registered
177 Posts
tw is not at all designed to race or even go fast off road, but it can go anywhere and it looks neat. a real race-minded dirt bike like a KTM for instance will destroy the TW in every way. none of the bikes you listed are great on the highway either btw, I'd take the tw over any of them, theyre like neutered motocross bikes while the tw isnt trying to be a mx bike at all. get a 400cc or better if you want to cruise at 65+ I'd say. could just get an xr650 and you'll be more than fine on the highway & have a great off road bike & never have to buy another one again. tw for me is great bc it's so light it's awesome for zooming in and out of traffic in town & if I dump it it's ok bc the tw is bulletproof, very simple engine to learn about and work on too and (seriously) the tw forum is awesome. guy I work with said buy a bike with a "cult following" bc it will have a great online discussion group and you'll always get great advice about your bike, the tw has that.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you are exploring the TW is better than the others

If you are going on well used trails they might be better

When I ride on trails with others I can go every bit as fast as them

I learned on a 100cc Kawi so its an old comfortable experience

I had real dirt bikes like KTMs but the inability to dab etc really took away

from going slow in strange stuff like New England dragon teeth rocks

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I have a tw and a klx and they are both good at what they do. Neither are speed demons but provide alot of fun. Any dual sport will be decent on the street and decent offroad. Its hard to pick between the bikes you listed. Any one you pick will make you wonder which other one is better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a tw and a klx and they are both good at what they do. Neither are speed demons but provide alot of fun. Any dual sport will be decent on the street and decent offroad. Its hard to pick between the bikes you listed. Any one you pick will make you wonder which other one is better.

That's exactly why I'm having so much trouble picking a bike, they're all pretty good bikes. Right now for me the two bikes that have really got my attention is the tw200 and the crf250l. In my area the tw200 and the crf250l both go for the same price new($4999 MSRP) does this make the tw200 less desirable?

I would prefer getting a new bike because i would know exactly how its been treated and would ultimately like to keep the bike as long as it lasts.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
TW200, No road? No trail? No problem. I'm sure others can explain it better than I can, dirt riders seem to want speed, old farts like me on a trail bike could care less about speed, or pavement, or roads.
It's an apples and oranges thing, either one will make you grin.

Explained quite well actually!.

·
Registered
976 Posts
That's exactly why I'm having so much trouble picking a bike, they're all pretty good bikes. Right now for me the two bikes that have really got my attention is the tw200 and the crf250l. In my area the tw200 and the crf250l both go for the same price new($4999 MSRP) does this make the tw200 less desirable?

I would prefer getting a new bike because i would know exactly how its been treated and would ultimately like to keep the bike as long as it lasts.

This is a TW forum and we all love our TWs, but a lot of members have had their interest piqued by the crf250l, and at least one member has bought one.

I've only ridden the TW, not the Honda, but I've read similar criticisms of both when it comes to performance in the dirt. As has been mentioned, dualsports all balance street and dirt performance in various ratios and with various levels of success.

I'm no daredevil or MX racer, but the TW does 90% of what I ask it to off-road very well. The other 10% is things that require more suspension travel or engine displacement to do well, which would require a higher seat height and heavier bike. If the TW gained the height and weight required to do that 10% better, I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with it for that other 90% of dirt riding.

I would say that the seat height and extra weight of the crf250l are big downsides in the dirt. But the fuel injection, extra 50cc of power, and superior brakes will all serve the bike very well on the street, and for certain dirt riders as well.

I'm rare in this forum as I share your appreciation for the value of buying new, but on a bike like the TW that requires a fair amount of tinkering to get just like you want it anyway, I might consider buying used if I was buying another one. I'm not sorry for buying a new one though, although my out-the-door price was a solid grand less than the MSRP you're reporting for your area. Your Clearance Deals May Vary!

The TW will also be easier to work on, but of course a fuel injected bike will require less work.

Hmmm.

You have a tough choice, and the fact is that there is no perfect bike. As motorcyclists, Multiple Bike Syndrome is our universal fate.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
If you want tire options go with the honda. Tw's are a niche that we all love but understand how and why others don't. Any bike you get will leave something to be desired. Figure out what kind of riding you will do and choose the bike that fits it. If you think you will eventually get another bike, figure out if it will be a dirtbike or a streetbike. This will help you decide which should be your first bike. Good luck figuring it out!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Something to bear in mind is that the TW is probably in the tail end of it's production life (if not already finished). The CR is just beginning it's production life.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
My issue with the "modern" DS bike is seat height.YES,I like both of my feet to touch the ground.On the 250L,I'm on the balls of my feet,not confidence inspiring at all on the trail....IMO;I'm not a new rider either.If for some reason I had to buy a new DS bike today,it,more than likely would be an XT250....fits me perfectly.Good luck on your decision.The decision of: FI or carbed bike?.Well industry/politics is no doubt going the FI route,but, it is not if,but when you have FI issues.Whats the cost difference of this....I know,"in time" FI repair/replacement cost will drop....maybe,maybe not?.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I'm curious how the tw200 compares to the xt250,klx250s,dr200se,crf250l

all these bikes are in the same general price range and my last post told the that the tw200 isn't that solid for highway use

now I'm curious how much better the tw200 is in the off road category.

Out of the bikes mentioned the only two bikes that interest me is the crf250l and the dr200se.

Also I'm probably going to buy brand new if that helps make a decision because all the bikes are generally the same price excluding the klx.

What about the TW250 6 speed?

Ronnydog

·
Registered
112 Posts
Best question to ask, which of those other bikes made it to the South Pole? Answer = None, but the TW has...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts