TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2019 TW. The clutch on it comes almost all the way out when it engages. I brought the bike back to the dealer to have new tire installed and ask them to adjust the clutch. they said the clutch should be like that so one does not burn out the clutch. To me that makes no sense. You can burn out the clutch no matter where it engages if you ride it, right? Is this guy B.S. me?

·
Super Moderator
4,696 Posts
Nope, he's quite correct

You can adjust the clutch lever play at the bars, so the question is largely academic, but no, he's not as full of BS as you suspect

Almost every bike I've ever slung a leg over (which is quite a few) have the clutch lever exactly the same - to the point that if it wasn't, I'd readjust it back to where it should be - the way yours is now .....

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
I have a new 2019 TW. The clutch on it comes almost all the way out when it engages. I brought the bike back to the dealer to have new tire installed and ask them to adjust the clutch. they said the clutch should be like that so one does not burn out the clutch. To me that makes no sense. You can burn out the clutch no matter where it engages if you ride it, right? Is this guy B.S. me?
Almost all the TW's clutch engagement point is like this. If you get these short levers below you can adjust where the "clutch handle" seems to engage. When I put them on mine, because they're adjustable it now doesn't feel like the engagement point isn't as far out on the handle like you describe. i.e. these shorty levers make the clutch handle feel more normal...in the engagement point area.

CNC Short Brake Clutch Levers For YAMAHA YZ80 87-96 YZ125 85-88 TW200 01-16
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Short-Brake-Clutch-Levers-For-YAMAHA-YZ80-87-96-YZ125-85-88-TW200-01-16-/302188208343?var=&hash=item465bd220d7

·
Registered
38 Posts
I imagine you risk sort of disengaging the clutch when the lever is closer at your fingertips; wearing the clutch might make the (friction + pressure) plates thinner and cause slips due to loss in spring pressure. Similar to having the cable too loose or too tight which an adjustment to this should be foremost.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a 2019 and mine came like that, like the others said, cable adjustment at the lower adjusters can help tighten up tolerances, but it took a little break in and regular small adjustments to where it feels "right" to me now.

Highly recommend you lube the cable up good, make your lever adjustments, and (as mentioned in many other previous posts) check the torsion spring is installed correctly.

I also changed out the clutch springs for the stiffer ones from Rocky Mountain ATV, that's personal preference though.

Don't be surprised if the clutch sticks a little as you release the lever, it's frustrating as all get out, but it will get smoother as you break in.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The friction zone on the TW's are very limited compared to other dirt bikes/dual sports. I wondered the same about mine at first... went through and double checked the specs. It just has a narrow window of starting to engage to fully engaged on the clutch handle and it is almost when the clutch is all the way out. It's kind of fun to me after getting used to it. You will learn to use that small window and the best part is this bike is very forgiving about lugging it in first gear so if you feel it, just give it some more gas as you release. This is the hardest bike to stall of any I've ever rode and I suspect that is why the clutch is set this way.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The slip window is short on the TW which is why I lengthened mine by drilling and filing my lever to extend the slip range and reduce pull to even lighter. Now I have to pull it all the way to disengage. I use it so I don't have to shift from 2nd to 1st frequently in technical rides and also to reduce torque on slippery conditions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hah, I was wondering about this on the 91 I just purchased and was actually thinking of replacing the clutch. Glad to see it's normal.

Best chugging bike I've found is a DR650. Even with the stock 15/42 gearing it was nearly impossible to stall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts