TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On out trip to DC today I wound out my TW. We had about 10 miles of I81 interstate where the posted speed limit is 70 MPH. The fastest she will run is 79 MPH on flat land. I'm running a stock front sprocket and a 45 tooth rear. New tires (balanced), O-Ring chain.

What I was most impressed with is the 241 Trail front tire. It is completely stable at high speeds unlike the 244 that scared me at 70 MPH. I also don't get the buzzing mirrors which means I can actually see behind me now.

I finally found the perfect setup for ol' Ruth, and she is running like a top. Thanks to all of you who helped me become a backyard motorcycle mechanic.

How fast is your TW?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I used to see how my 89 with stock sprockets was running: if it would do 71 on on flat road it was fine. I had it in storage and put new tires 20/80 tires on it and it only does 65. I wonder if its the tires?

·
Registered
928 Posts
If I wind it out properly, mine will cruise at 60 and still have some throttle left. It can go 70, but complains. 45 tooth rear sprocket. I haven't looked at the front sprocket yet, but I believe it's 14 tooth.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I did 55 a couple times.
Running 12HP at 70 seems like it would shorten engine life,
How do they last at highway speeds?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Best I've seen with stock tires and sprockets is somewhere between 70 - 72 on the stock speedo. And it was MAXXED OUT and had nothing more. Then again it was hard to read from all the chainsaw action and vibration going on. I do not like running my TW over 60. It just does not like it very much. Neither do i. Kinda like making a fat hooker run a couple of miles before sex.

I'm sure dropping to the 45 tooth rear will get some top end speed. The 45 is on my to do list just to relax the engine a bit at road speeds. 1st and 2nd gear are somewhat useless taking off on the hard balls. As soon as I release the clutch it is an immediate pull and shift in the first two gears. 1st is like a bull dog gear in a truck IMHO.

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Back to reality, I have run the TW w/ 203/204 tires up to about 75 speedo(probably 69/70 real) for short bursts when I have unfortunately had to get on major roads for short distances and not be run over by a Big Fu..king truck. It might go faster, but what is the point other than not getting killed by that Semi bearing down on you?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I don't know. But I do have a KPH speedo going on my '99, so it will be reeeeeaaaaaally fast.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts