TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear Guys,

How is possible to getr that acceleration and top speed with a 14/47 setup? O_O
Even the RPM, how is possible that the bike stays at "normal" I guess RPM and reach over 100kmh in 4th gear while mine at around 90kmh sounds like it's going to destroy the world and cause an earthquake for how noisy it becomes
Note that I have a 14/45, so techncially I should get less noise at same speed as him, but well... he seems to have like 14/37 maybe lol, not 47, how's that possible

Also Using the TW200 speed calculator it seems that at 8500 rpm (so not the max which I believe is 9500) in 4th I should top out at 93kmh, so when I actually reach 90 I am at about 8400rpm so mean I can still push the bike? I am just worried about the sound because I don't have a damned rpm reader :(
Still in the calculator if I set 47 as rear sprocket, and input as speed 110kmh (which he reached in 4th gear) he reach over 10k rpm, which is over redline... I still can't figure out how is that possible

I want that, I absolutely want that

Super Moderator
You can rev them as high as you want. When the bike stops pulling, shift. He's got a cam in it too.
Dear Guys,

How is possible to getr that acceleration and top speed with a 14/47 setup? O_O
Even the RPM, how is possible that the bike stays at "normal" I guess RPM and reach over 100kmh in 4th gear while mine at around 90kmh sounds like it's going to destroy the world and cause an earthquake for how noisy it becomes
Note that I have a 14/45, so techncially I should get less noise at same speed as him, but well... he seems to have like 14/37 maybe lol, not 47, how's that possible

Also Using the TW200 speed calculator it seems that at 8500 rpm (so not the max which I believe is 9500) in 4th I should top out at 93kmh, so when I actually reach 90 I am at about 8400rpm so mean I can still push the bike? I am just worried about the sound because I don't have a damned rpm reader :(
Still in the calculator if I set 47 as rear sprocket, and input as speed 110kmh (which he reached in 4th gear) he reach over 10k rpm, which is over redline... I still can't figure out how is that possible

I want that, I absolutely want that

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
1) put tw200 speedo on an xt350.
2) film
3) ....
4) profit

But seriously, you should invest the money in a tachometer to see what your engine is really doing. I found out with mine, in stock gearing, ~100kmh = 6900rpm-7200rpm in 5th gear. Prior to having the tach, I was convinced I was going to blow the thing up based on the sound.

Check out this thread:
http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/45194-tachometer-installation-settings.html
Ok but that does not match with the speed calc
4th gear, if I reach or try the same speed as the video the calc say i will be over the limit of 9500

Am I missing something?

Registered
If you are really interested in "speed" in the slightest, you will need a a different motorcycle.
Then you will have "speed" but miss all the cool things a TW200 will actually do.
The fastest plow horse will be the slowest race horse...but he will plow a fine field.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Where is the hill that is long enough to do that?
Hahahahhaha
But seriously the data i see in the calc does not match with the video, can You help me with an explaination?
The guy in the video will be basically 1000-1500 over the limit

Super Moderator
There鈥檚 a half mile hill down to my house, the kind that if you take your foot of the gas in an automatic car, you keep accelerating (not by much, but you still pick up speed)

I鈥檝e come down that hill on a stock 鈥98 TW200 with a 14/49 set up, flat out, ignoring the noise and keeping it wide open. Partly because I wanted to see how fast it would go, partly to see if it would spontaneously disassemble (blow up), and because I knew I could coast home if it all went pear shaped

(The following account is based on 鈥渋ndicated speed鈥, so figure in a maximum 10% error 鈥 body weight was 190 wet, knobblies front and rear set at 19 PSI 鈥 fresh gas, 5% Ethanol mix)

60 mph was no problem, plenty left up the spout 鈥 65 was as easy, so went for warp 鈥 at 68mph, some instability from the tire combination (TW34 rear, Hiedenau K60 front), not quite a 鈥渢ank slapper鈥, but heading that way 鈥 so I backed off the throttle while I was ahead 鈥 but she would have gone through the 70mph barrier otherwise

Now, you鈥檙e talking about a 14/47 set-up 鈥 so it should have a higher top-end performance, and if you then add road tires, not knobblies, you start to get faster acceleration (less tire drag) 鈥 and on those road tires, if you鈥檙e going for 鈥渟peed鈥, you can up the pressures to 30 PSI, at which point it will really start to fly by comparison

Engine mods take it even further (like some cam work)

But then, you鈥檙e doing 70MPH on a bike with a short wheel base, no brakes that do anything over 40 MPH, and are so 鈥渙ff-plot鈥 that you are effectively flying on a wing and a prayer

Then you can take a youtube vid of yourself, and boast about it (while you鈥檙e still alive 鈥 this time)

That鈥檚 not what the TW is about, and rather than thinking about 鈥渉ow did he do it鈥, you should be thinking about 鈥渨hy did he do it鈥

Leave 鈥淐aptain Testosterone鈥 to his idiocy, or get an RD350 with knobblies 鈥︹..

Registered
If you are using the old TW speed calculator, try this one instead: Gearing Commander 鈿

If you look at the torque curve, it starts down at about 7,000, and the HP curve at 8,000.
TW Torque HP Curves.jpg
This means that there really isn't much point in going over 8,000 RPM unless you are passing someone on a downhill.....you are past the point of maximum power. You can use gearing commander to figure out the 9,500 RPM redline in any gear, but the only time you are likely to over-rev the engine is in the lower gears by mistake on a downshift.

For instance, on my 2010 with 13/50 gearing, 9,000 is 64.7 mph, and 8,100 is 58.2 mph. These are actual speeds (GPS), not speedometer speeds. Going down a hill at 9,000 RPM my speedo reads 70. Generally on flat terrain I can get up to 60 mph most of the time, right near the power and torque peaks, but 65 needs a tailwind or downhill. Look for the 5th gear speeds at or near the power peak on your bike and that will be all you can expect from it. 14/45 is realistically the highest gearing for flat country at sea level....it would be totally useless where I live.

Registered
The easiest way, and the best way I think, to get good acceleration and lower rpm at speed is to get a different bike.

The TW is a great Turtle, but a lousy Rabbit.
Exactly.
There is a "Modification & Performance" section on the Ural forum I'm a member of.
Strictly for laughs

Read Only
But isn't that what the TW is about?

I drove 60 miles today at 70 mph and I'll be driving up a mountain with it tomorrow.

It may not be really good at either, but it gets the job done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts