TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I know the TW200 v XT250 (or similar dual sport) has been done to death but I'm curious as to how these bikes differ off-road (other than deep mud where we know the TV200 will shine.) I'm ready to buy one of these used but can't ride either first. Is the TW200 nimble? I'm planning on doing a lot of riding in Moab and I wonder how those fat tires are going to handle all of the rocks.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Think mountain goat vs gazelle. One is fast, one is slower but much steadier. I'm not so sure it's great in mud though, two wheels is not great in the mud regardless.

IMG_5828.JPG

·
Registered
20,499 Posts
While not great in diameter the TW's relatively heavy tires create more rotational inertia than a conventional trail bikes. This is sort of like additional flywheel weight in that bikes tends to keep rolling up and over obstacles rather than stalling the engine. The negative of this greater gyroscopic stability is that unlike a simple heavier flywheel coupled with skinny tires the TW does not like to change direction as rapidly. Thus, not as nimble as a GasGas Trials bike but plenty good for Moab. That same rotational inertia is a plus for Moab's rock ledges in my opinion. You won't loft the TW tire over any ledges, but you just may roll up and over them.
Another way of looking at this is consider all the Moab related TW stories and videos...does a single one feature a dropped, stalled or crashed TW? Not that I recall ( maybe we just edit out the boo-boos:rolleyes:).
Seat height comes into play too. Sitting a bit lower compared to a XT250 the average TW rider has less to fear of full lock turn tip overs at crawling speeds since a foot dab is so easy.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

Hi guys, I know the TW200 v XT250 (or similar dual sport) has been done to death but I'm curious as to how these bikes differ off-road (other than deep mud where we know the TV200 will shine.) I'm ready to buy one of these used but can't ride either first. Is the TW200 nimble? I'm planning on doing a lot of riding in Moab and I wonder how those fat tires are going to handle all of the rocks.

Reactions: Ken and Dennis

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Don't matter what anyone says, so here is just one more opinion. A TW is the most fun on two wheels you can put between your legs. I enjoy it and the folks that ride them much more than the Goldwing and Vulcan that I have. Is the reason I have 3 of them, never know when a friend needs a fun ride or a bike quits on one of our epic rides.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Agree with above, and my personal input is that...I mostly sit when I ride the TW. Low and slow, tractor style. Of course you stand when you need to, but not all day like when you are riding a skinny tired bike like your hair is on fire. It really all depends on you, your plans and your riding style. Sure, we all have a blast in Moab, but the TW is certainly an unconventional bike for there. That's why we like to all get together there annually, like in a few weeks. We ride our way. We don't ride cliffhanger or other difficult rated trails. There are plenty of good offroading TW videos to show the differences and what it can do.

This recent thread spells it out pretty good too. http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/35977-returning-t-dub-after-highly-modded-crf250l.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts