TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be worse at times than others...don't know why.

After logging onto the site, I opened three tabs for threads I wanted to read. Initially, the OP entry was shown for a bit, then all three tabs went blank but for the forum header information. For over three minutes I watched garbage link after garbage link 'load' in the progress window: linksynergy, adsrver, scorecard, doublclick, googleads, vidibletv, sptxchange, adnxs..... They didn't stop, no forum content loaded.

I gave up, closed all the tabs.

Granted, money to run the site has to come from somewhere, but MINUTES of nothing but BS loading? Sure, if I was on something other than a 1.5Mbs line (most fastest there is 'round here), all that junk wouldn't be so bad.

But, I'm not.

And, no. I am not ready to 'Meet up Your Princess,' (sic) and I am not interested in a 'New love-Story (charmerly.com)...which happens to be displayed as advertising on this particular page.

Can some of this tripe be trimmed?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
CC; I've never had anything like that on here, other than a ticked off member who was able to infect the site. Thought at first you might have been the first hit with something new on the forum - but then realized you said that sometimes it is worse than others. So this has been happening to you for awhile. Others will chime in if it has been happening to them. Otherwise it may somehow be related to your set-up. In either case - contacting the forum administrator may help.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Never seen anything like that from my end neither. Never heard about it until now either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clear cache cookies and browsing related junk - install and run adblock - job done .....
CC; I've never had anything like that on here, other than a ticked off member who was able to infect the site. Thought at first you might have been the first hit with something new on the forum - but then realized you said that sometimes it is worse than others. So this has been happening to you for awhile. Others will chime in if it has been happening to them. Otherwise it may somehow be related to your set-up. In either case - contacting the forum administrator may help.
Which forces me to mention something that will bring on a few, 'Well! What does he expect!!??':

Consider that ad blockers that might not work on newer browser versions, that are intended for use on antiquated no-longer-supported OSs, may well (they do) cause 'unresponsive script' problems when applied to newfangled stuff.

It is a strange occurrence, notwithstanding the above. More often than not, it doesn't happen. It's not happening now. Every once in a while, BAM! It all turns to stool.

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
Adblock works just fine to block all adds on latest macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 using both Safari and Chrome browsers. Perhaps try it and see if it it works for you as well as it does for most all of us.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Likewise on pc. I'm an admitted google fanboy, and have been using Chrome since it was in beta. The current Chrome version with adblock works well, and I see no issues with the site. I've also been testing Mozilla Brave, which is being marketed as an evolution in trim/privacy invoking browsers. So far, it has done really well too. I'd give either of those options a shot, if you can, and see if things get better for you.

·
Administrator
412 Posts
This seems to be worse at times than others...don't know why.

After logging onto the site, I opened three tabs for threads I wanted to read. Initially, the OP entry was shown for a bit, then all three tabs went blank but for the forum header information. For over three minutes I watched garbage link after garbage link 'load' in the progress window: linksynergy, adsrver, scorecard, doublclick, googleads, vidibletv, sptxchange, adnxs..... They didn't stop, no forum content loaded.

I gave up, closed all the tabs.

Granted, money to run the site has to come from somewhere, but MINUTES of nothing but BS loading? Sure, if I was on something other than a 1.5Mbs line (most fastest there is 'round here), all that junk wouldn't be so bad.

But, I'm not.

And, no. I am not ready to 'Meet up Your Princess,' (sic) and I am not interested in a 'New love-Story (charmerly.com)...which happens to be displayed as advertising on this particular page.

Can some of this tripe be trimmed?
Should not have this much trouble viewing content on the site. Can you tell me if you are on mobile or desktop? what browser are you using?
-Philip

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should not have this much trouble viewing content on the site. Can you tell me if you are on mobile or desktop? what browser are you using?
-Philip
Desktop. FireFox 52.2.,1 which is the latest that will run on...what? XP of course! Believe it or not I worked with computers (hardware) for over 35 years. You know...from way back on stuff like memory (core) boards..with a soldering iron! Still, my antipathy for MicroSoft is unfettered and without bounds. There hasn't been an OS worth a crap since 7 and using any of 'em gives me brain bleeds.

Something that might be key: At times the login process does not work as it should. I get the username/password windows, but I swear at times I have NOT seen the 'redirect' resulting from said login. I'm on the forum, but I am not logged in as a user (me). I don't see a login failure message. Now...connect that with viewing the forum and NOT having logged on...and the number of ads is much more.

The 'high ad' complaint maybe comes with a login that doesn't take, so I think I'm logged in, but I'm not. Yes, I could MISS the 'Welcome canyncarvr' at the top and the additional headings (my profile, settings etc). I don't generally pay attention to those unless I want to use a listed function.

I'm not sure of that. As I said, I had not construed a commonality in the past. An 'incomplete' login may be it.

·
Administrator
412 Posts
Desktop. FireFox 52.2.,1 which is the latest that will run on...what? XP of course! Believe it or not I worked with computers (hardware) for over 35 years. You know...from way back on stuff like memory (core) boards..with a soldering iron! Still, my antipathy for MicroSoft is unfettered and without bounds. There hasn't been an OS worth a crap since 7 and using any of 'em gives me brain bleeds.

Something that might be key: At times the login process does not work as it should. I get the username/password windows, but I swear at times I have NOT seen the 'redirect' resulting from said login. I'm on the forum, but I am not logged in as a user (me). I don't see a login failure message. Now...connect that with viewing the forum and NOT having logged on...and the number of ads is much more.

The 'high ad' complaint maybe comes with a login that doesn't take, so I think I'm logged in, but I'm not. Yes, I could MISS the 'Welcome canyncarvr' at the top and the additional headings (my profile, settings etc). I don't generally pay attention to those unless I want to use a listed function.

I'm not sure of that. As I said, I had not construed a commonality in the past. An 'incomplete' login may be it.
Your hypothesis may be correct. Without me being able to replicate this it makes it more complicated to confirm. Redirects or popups should not be there ever. I know this is probably a stupid question but have you cleared your browser cache? Sometimes a browser will hold a grudge and mess with your browsing experience.
-Philip

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your hypothesis may be correct. Without me being able to replicate this it makes it more complicated to confirm. Redirects or popups should not be there ever. I know this is probably a stupid question but have you cleared your browser cache? Sometimes a browser will hold a grudge and mess with your browsing experience.
-Philip
My mention of 'redirect' had to do with the notice:

'Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.'

..after a login.

I clear the browser cache on a regular basis: Partly via the 'clear history when Firefox closes' option in Firefox and partly from CrapCleaner (CCleaner if you prefer).

If there is no plain and simple answer, or known problem of ads running amok at times, that answers my question.

Thank you for your consideration and input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts