TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has only been two and a half weeks since I had my bypass surgery, but I am really chomping at the bit to start doing something. I don't think I should be taking any chances trying to ride my Goldwing, but what about a TW. I'm curious how long you waited to ride after you had bypass surgery if you have had such.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'd give it some more time before going off road, but if you are cleared to drive a car, you can ride a cycle on pavement.

Unless you are having dizzy spells,

or new meds you are still getting used to.

But that's just the lawyers yappin'.

I didn't have by-pass, just a couple of stents in a vein on my heart. I was ready to go that next week.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It has only been two and a half weeks since I had my bypass surgery, but I am really chomping at the bit to start doing something. I don't think I should be taking any chances trying to ride my Goldwing, but what about a TW. I'm curious how long you waited to ride after you had bypass surgery if you have had such.
I'd take some time to heal a bit. I was stupid when I had a 5 way three years ago. Tried doing too much too soon and broke open my incision. An X-ray showed I also broke two of the stainless steel wires holding my sternum together. I can still feel the sharp ends of the wires when I reach for things. Take the time to heal first and then abusing your body will be much more enjoyable.

Ask your doctor if medical advise from a motorcycle forum is right for you.

Dan

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd give it some more time before going off road, but if you are cleared to drive a car, you can ride a cycle on pavement.

Unless you are having dizzy spells,

or new meds you are still getting used to.

But that's just the lawyers yappin'.

I didn't have by-pass, just a couple of stents in a vein on my heart. I was ready to go that next week.

lol, I thought I was going in for stents. I always waited just 4 days after getting stents before returning to normal daily life. I must say this is far different and is for sure going to need more time to heal. However, 12 weeks seems like forever to me right now since it has only been two and a half weeks since the procedure. Regardless, when I do venture out it will be in a very conservative manner.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Remember, you have some tubing in there that needs to fully heal before putting too much stress on it.

Cut & sew is very different than holding open with a wire mesh. Road may be alright if it is smooth, but rough sharp jolts are definitely not good.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
If you don't like what your doctors says, get a second opinion from another doctor. Don't risk yourself.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remember, you have some tubing in there that needs to fully heal before putting too much stress on it.

Cut & sew is very different than holding open with a wire mesh. Road may be alright if it is smooth, but rough sharp jolts are definitely not good.

Good advice there!

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Is your will all made out and up to date?

And your life insurance, is it all paid up?

If the answer is yes to both questions, then go for it!

·
Registered
96 Posts
That you even asked here shows that the drugs are affecting your judgement, read the advice on related topics and if it all sounds good wait until you see more clearly. There isn't even agreement on engine oil why would you ask! Oh and yeah go for what do you have to lose???

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I had my head examined once and rode shortly afterwards. Seems I was lost for two days and could not remember my name. Seriously, I would do lots of walking, but hold off on the bike. Gerry

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
"Ask your doctor if medical advise from a motorcycle forum is right for you."

Why can't you get both? After doing this for 35 years, I can give you some advice. And it's free, so take it for what it is.

Your sternum (breast bone), like any other bone, takes a month or more to totally heal up to it's original tensile strength (actually it will heal stronger than it was initially), but in the meantime, riding a motorcycle that quick after sawing it down the middle and wiring it up again in opposition is not a good idea, First of all, there's the matter of pain when you put extra tension on it - you don't want to get a sudden stab of pain while you're holding on and turning the bars and then not be able to execute any type of maneuver. That goes for turning the steering wheel of a car or the bike. In addition, should you happen to fall over, not only will that really hurt but it's possible you could disrupt the stability of the sternum and tear open the wound by breaking a wire or two and separating the sternal edges. It's probably more likely you will fall on the bike than bang your chest of the steering wheel of the car. But, it's a good idea to put a little tension on the sternum which actually helps it heal a little faster, and this is what I always advised my patients:

You need a little light exercise - lie flat on your bed with your arms straight out to the sides at a 90 degree angle with a light weight, like a 1-2 lb. can of soup or a book or something similar, in each hand, and keeping your arms straight, raise them straight up to the ceiling, straight up in the air, and then flat down to the bed again. Do that 5 times in a row, slowly, 3 or 4 times a day. After a day or two, if you have no pain, increase to 10 reps, after another few days go up 15 and then up to 20 reps 3 or 4 times a day. If you can do that without any discomfort,(and that will take a week or two to get up to that point), then it's OK to start driving a car or for a short ride on the bike, but I would stay off the trails for another 2 weeks where maybe you can fall down. You can also do curl type excersizes with those cans, you want to rebuild your muscle tone in your arms as well as your chest because in a few weeks time, you will be surprised the amount of strength you lose without staying active.

Another thing - patients always asked when they can resume their sex life (if you still do that). Stay on the bottom for a while - can you imagine doing pushups right now - not a good idea at the moment. Basically, if you have no pain and no shortness of breath, whatever you are doing is fine. You can make love to your wife now, but your mistress has to wait another few weeks.

Hope you have a speedy uneventful recovery and don't get into a panic or afraid to do anything that involves moderate activity right now, don't baby yourself, get up and move. Look at this as a new beginning that after your chest and leg heals you can be as active as before if not even more so, and not have a stigma of "heart disease" following you around. You have been fixed by the surgeon, like taking your bike to a really good mechanic for a thorough maintenance job. Like with the bike, routine maintenance is key, like watching your diet, no smoking, losing some weight, being happy all the time. This will turn out to be a good thing and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
"If you don't like what your doctors says, get a second opinion from another doctor. Don't risk yourself."

A woman went to her doctor and he told her "You have a urinary tract infection".

She said, "I want a second opinion".

"Okay", he said. "You're ugly too".

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
"If you don't like what your doctors says, get a second opinion from another doctor. Don't risk yourself."

A woman went to her doctor and he told her "You have a urinary tract infection".

She said, "I want a second opinion".

"Okay", he said. "You're ugly too".

One doctor told me I'd never walk on my left leg again when I wouldn't allow him to amputate. Another told me I'd never be able to do anything strenuous again. Guess who received the first to calls I made from the tallest peak in Colorado.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As of now, I am following my doctors orders to the letter. Well, pretty much anyway. I'm mostly walking, but should be starting cardio rehab next week. Also next week, I have a follow up with the surgeon and I am developing a list of questions for him. Regardless, I wanted to hear from those who have gone before. I believe it is easier to learn from others experience than to learn from the school of hard knocks, especially if they were to set back recovery. Thanks for all of the feedback, it has been very useful to me.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts

One doctor told me I'd never walk on my left leg again when I wouldn't allow him to amputate. Another told me I'd never be able to do anything strenuous again. Guess who received the first to calls I made from the tallest peak in Colorado.

Man, I really hope this is a true experience. I love it!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Man, I really hope this is a true experience. I love it!
Yup. My one and only motorcycle wreck on the street, running 70mph on the highway and got hit from behind, made a mess of my left leg. That was 1972. In 1994 I went in a river and pulled three kids out of a sinking car. It was snowing, found by deer hunters 6 hours later washed up on a sand bar, no vitals and hypothermic. Survived that only to succumb to chemical pneumonia from all the farm runoff in the water. 31 days in the hospital and significant damage to my lungs.

Mount Elbert's summit is 11.2 miles round trip, 4000+ feet change in elevation from the trailhead. 5 hours up, 2 hours down. Then drove straight to Royal Gorge to run the rapids and catch a few trout.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup. My one and only motorcycle wreck on the street, running 70mph on the highway and got hit from behind, made a mess of my left leg. That was 1972. In 1994 I went in a river and pulled three kids out of a sinking car. It was snowing, found by deer hunters 6 hours later washed up on a sand bar, no vitals and hypothermic. Survived that only to succumb to chemical pneumonia from all the farm runoff in the water. 31 days in the hospital and significant damage to my lungs.

Mount Elbert's summit is 11.2 miles round trip, 4000+ feet change in elevation from the trailhead. 5 hours up, 2 hours down. Then drove straight to Royal Gorge to run the rapids and catch a few trout.

Dang Qwerty, that's awesome. I guess it also explains why you can be so crotchety to some of the less than articulate posters here
Crotchety or not, I appreciate the fact that I do gleen a bit useful information from your post.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts