TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to ride the tdub today and I can go an indicated 70mph on level ground at wot with my 14-45 gearing. How long will the tdub sustain wot? Am I redlining it and asking for trouble? Thanks.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If you do proper maintenance on your bike like oil changes,oil filter,clean air filter the bike is practically indestructable. Do not worry about the high reving. In 1987 first made the TW a Japanese named Shinji Kazama guy rode the bike the NORTH POLE!?! Then in 1992 he rode it to the SOUTH POLE?! Crazy guy! and it was on a TW. There is a documentary on it called pole to pole. So if he could do that on a TW I am pretty sure you will be ok.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I rode WOT from Greensboro to Asheville NC, about 175 miles on I40, in moderate/heavy traffic.

Even in my full-dresser, heavy cruiser configuration: 4 saddle bags, tank bag, front bag and army duffel on the rear rack, I was able to keep her at 65.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I like the way you think Russ! :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
This newbie didn't know what WOT meant. :) Fortunately there is a website for everything, including one I have bookmarked called Acronym Finder. So now I know. I did have to choose from a few possibilities, but the choice was immediately obvious. (Technically an acronym is a thing you say as a word, like radar or scuba, not one where you say the initials, like FBI or NFL, but Acronym Finder finds either.)

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
A TW at WOT is putting no more stress on its parts than many of its engine family members at half throttle. WOT on a TW on the highway forever will not hurt it, unless it is geared to tall and the engine can't turn in the powerband. 14-45 is pushing it with North American EPA carb tune. Yes, I know 14-45 is OEM in some markets, but those bikes have a main jet 3 or 4 sizes richer than what comes in North American market bikes so their engines run cooler. You can run WOT with 14-50 sprockets and not worry about over-reving the engine until north of 80mph. When was the last time you had your TW up to 80mph?

·
Super Moderator
18,122 Posts
Qwerty, it is so good to have you back. When you speak, people listen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A TW at WOT is putting no more stress on its parts than many of its engine family members at half throttle. WOT on a TW on the highway forever will not hurt it, unless it is geared to tall and the engine can't turn in the powerband. 14-45 is pushing it with North American EPA carb tune. Yes, I know 14-45 is OEM in some markets, but those bikes have a main jet 3 or 4 sizes richer than what comes in North American market bikes so their engines run cooler. You can run WOT with 14-50 sprockets and not worry about over-reving the engine until north of 80mph. When was the last time you had your TW up to 80mph?
First hour I had it up to 85-90... In the back of the truck

Actually riding it with stock gearing I can do 65-70 sitting straight up.. 72 with a slight hill... Need to rejet to the 130 jet and see how she likes it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
First hour I had it up to 85-90... In the back of the truck

Actually riding it with stock gearing I can do 65-70 sitting straight up.. 72 with a slight hill... Need to rejet to the 130 jet and see how she likes it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's about all you'll get out of any stock TW. Rejetting won't help top end much. The benefits are easier starting, less cold-blooded, better throttle response, no surge at slow cruise, and a cooler running engine. Best thing you can do for TW performance is ethanol-free gasoline.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts