TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just wondered , if you were out on road and your headlamp bulb blew , approx how long would it take to cause damage to bike and what damage ? On a 1996 model lights always on

·
Registered
715 Posts
About 100 yards :D

No damage to bike unless you hit something because you can't see where you are going. :eek:

Just flip the headlamp switch to high or low beam and use the other bulb filament so you can see again.

No electrical damage will occur to the TW200 if a bulb goes out because the voltage is regulated.

Good luck!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:laughing9::laughing9:
Ha ha ha yeh, I like all those comments !!! I should have realised before i posted thread that I would get some crazy replies , but would this not overload the Vlt / reg/ rectifier and cause it to burn out ???

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
No, my bike has the mod where I can turn off the front light.
I have had no issues running the bike for hours with the front light turned off.

·
Registered
319 Posts
No, my bike has the mod where I can turn off the front light.
I have had no issues running the bike for hours with the front light turned off.
What makes you so special that you get to turn your headlight off?

In the United States of America it's been law since I was a kid that your light must burn during daytime too.

I feel left out.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I know here in Canada, every motorized licensed vehicle must have full lighting, thats headlight, tail light, markerlights, blinkers. If your in an accident and even if its not your fault, if they find you have tampered with the stock system they will find you either partially or fully at fault. Doesnt seem fair, but hey...what insurance company ever claimed to play fair. I highly recommend that for your own safety and security that ALL lights must function even if you only cross the road twice a year to get to the trails. Remember that guy Murphy, yeah....Mr. Murphy Law... he is still out there somewhere!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Raffles, those are NOT crazy replies....that are the facts. Just like a couple others here, my Low Beam is OFF all the time. I ride this bike off-road, so I don't need a headlight. In an emergency, I can flip it to High Beam, if I really need a headlight.

Your bike can run for the next 1000 years...or until you run out of petrol money, or...ride at night and hit something, and it will do NO damage to the electrical system, as the voltage is regulated.

This system is NOT a Lucas electrical system....mate :eek:
Ah yes. Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I don't know about TWs but my XL 350 Hondas had separate coils in the alternator. One was strictly for the magneto to run the engine and nothing else. One was to power the headlight and NOTHING else. The third was to keep the battery charged and run the turn signals, brake light, tail light, and horn and nothing else. This made it a very capable expedition bike in that if you lost your key out in the wilds, all you had to do was unplug the multi plug from the ignition switch and the bike would start and run but with no lights or horn. At least you could ride an unlimited distance to get help on the magneto alone. If the mag failed, you could rig a jumper wire from the battery to the points and run on battery ignition to get help. This did put a strain on the points and condenser but you could go quite a few miles before either burned out. You could even duct tape your six volt lantern dry cell battery to the frame and wire it to the points and get 25 to fifty miles to reach help. Some older bikes had a lot going for them in terms of self help in wilderness situations. I have experemented with all of the above situations and they do work at least on old Honda XL models with points condenser ignition. Probably on a lot of other japanese dual purpose bikes of that era too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts