TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another rainy day in Florida.

Reading about breaking in and oil changes got me thinking.

How long do you keep your ride? I see lots of TW's for sale with less than 3,000 miles. If you are like me and going to change your ride before 10,000 miles is it worthwhile to get all anal about break in and oil changes.

Now I change my oil at 1500 miles. But knowing I am going to get another ride next year or the year after does it really make sense to worry about oil?

Ha! Just starting a thread out of boredom caused by torrential downpours.

So...how long?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I tend to keep things a while. I don't like turning over cars or bikes quickly. Regardless tho for me if i have something long term or short term does not matter i will still maintain it like i intend to keep it forever. Sometimes circumstances change and you may have to keep something for longer than you originally intended.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I like to keep my vehicles to failure. They're paid for, why get rid of 'em?
The only time I get rid of something is to trade-in for something that works better.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I bought TW_in_BC bike and it had over 47000 km on it and it is now over 48000 km and going strong.
If I like a bike I will keep it.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
If you're going to get rid of it, and you want to get top price, or even have an easy time selling it, do the maintenance and keep the receipts. That's a great selling point.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
Pride in ownership or good stewardship tells me to take real good care of it. And if I should choose to sell it later, I know I am giving someone something that was well cared for and I can stand behind my sale proudly, having done my best.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
I like to keep my vehicles to failure. They're paid for, why get rid of 'em?
The only time I get rid of something is to trade-in for something that works better.

Is that what happened to any previous husbands? ONLY KIDDING!!! I couldn't help myself Kim!! Please forgive me!! :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I were as able (mechanically) as a lot of you guys I would probably want to keep my ride forever. I love it. But the cost of paying pros to maintain it is such that the economics and comfort (confidence) level is such that I will probably sell around 10k miles and start over with a slightly used one with <1k. Or even new if necessary.
I can do some stuff. Oil change, valve adjust, plug, pull the tank, etc. Really basic stuff not requiring any smarts or special tools.

I just had an "o" ring chain put on. If Im did not have a good guy do it for me for $25 I would have had to pay the next least expensive guy $75. Sooo. For me it is going to be a short term relationship. But I do love my Tdub.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
If I were as able (mechanically) as a lot of you guys I would probably want to keep my ride forever. I love it. But the cost of paying pros to maintain it is such that the economics and comfort (confidence) level is such that I will probably sell around 10k miles and start over with a slightly used one with <1k. Or even new if necessary.
I can do some stuff. Oil change, valve adjust, plug, pull the tank, etc. Really basic stuff not requiring any smarts or special tools.

I just had an "o" ring chain put on. If Im did not have a good guy do it for me for $25 I would have had to pay the next least expensive guy $75. Sooo. For me it is going to be a short term relationship. But I do love my Tdub.
A lot of folks are afraid of things like valve adjusting, so I think you are plenty experienced to care for it for a long time. Oil changes and valve adjustments are two of the most important things on a TW. Just keep doing what you are already doing, that bike may very well last you 50,000 miles. It's cheaper to learn how to do the maintenance than to go get a new bike every few years. Besides, we would all help you with whatever needed to be done anyway, so keep the bike and maintain it well. :D

Reactions: grewen

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
"I like to keep my vehicles to failure. They're paid for, why get rid of 'em?
The only time I get rid of something is to trade-in for something that works better." - I liked the part where LT replaced "vehicles" with "husbands", now that was richly humorous. My kind of Lady nipper, ride 'em into the dust!
I just got a chain breaking tool for less than $20 and it makes a seemingly daunting job quite simple. Keep doing the basic stuff saving money and you might keep that TW longer. However I don't know if there is any basic stuff to keep husbands working better.
:)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Another rainy day in Florida.

Reading about breaking in and oil changes got me thinking.

How long do you keep your ride? I see lots of TW's for sale with less than 3,000 miles. If you are like me and going to change your ride before 10,000 miles is it worthwhile to get all anal about break in and oil changes.

Now I change my oil at 1500 miles. But knowing I am going to get another ride next year or the year after does it really make sense to worry about oil?

Ha! Just starting a thread out of boredom caused by torrential downpours.

So...how long?
On the other hand is it honorable/fair/just to deliberately abuse a bike by not changing its oil and doing proper maintenance and thereby screwing the next owner over?

There are several of us on here right now in the process of rebuilding abused and neglected bikes that we picked up for a song because they had been treated badly.

So not only does not giving a rat's hindquarters make life difficult for the next person, you've also lost a fair chunk of change on the selling price and thereby screwing yourself as well.

Mechanics is mostly good instruction and practice. Not all of us have the 'spark' to be an inventor/innovator but we all have the potential to learn how to take care of our daily use machines. Lots of good advice and wisdom lurks on these forums free for the asking. 'T would be a shame not to take advantage of such.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Is that what happened to any previous husbands? ONLY KIDDING!!! I couldn't help myself Kim!! Please forgive me!! :D
:rolleyes: Funny enough... yeah. Still looking for the one that works better, though. ;)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
On the other hand is it honorable/fair/just to deliberately abuse a bike by not changing its oil and doing proper maintenance and thereby screwing the next owner over?

There are several of us on here right now in the process of rebuilding abused and neglected bikes that we picked up for a song because they had been treated badly.

So not only does not giving a rat's hindquarters make life difficult for the next person, you've also lost a fair chunk of change on the selling price and thereby screwing yourself as well.

Mechanics is mostly good instruction and practice. Not all of us have the 'spark' to be an inventor/innovator but we all have the potential to learn how to take care of our daily use machines. Lots of good advice and wisdom lurks on these forums free for the asking. 'T would be a shame not to take advantage of such.
Very well put. I spent all last winter rebuilding one of 2006's that was neglected by the prior owner. I paid about half of what its actually worth and a load of cash rebuilding it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

There are several of us on here right now in the process of rebuilding abused and neglected bikes that we picked up for a song because they had been treated badly

Whoa. Stop!!! ~GiGGle~

I did not mean to infer that I abuse my TDUB. Unless 1500 mile oil changes qualify as abuse. I just don't want to get into forks and springs and clutches and electrical systems having to be worked on.

Since I ride off road alone 90% of the time you can be assured I do my best to keep my ride in good shape. But realistically things/parts deteriorate over time and miles. I do ~5000~a year.

I was curious if I was the only one not shooting for long term. Cause there sure are a lot of low mileage TDUBS out there.
I bought mine with just a couple hundred miles and had a choice of another with 750.

Uh oh. Getting a message that my post is too short???? I wonder what this means. Usually accused of being verbose.

·
Super Moderator
18,049 Posts
:rolleyes: Funny enough... yeah. Still looking for the one that works better, though. ;)

I felt bad after I posted that Kim. I was considering deleting it before you saw it. I didn't want to dredge up any bad things from the past if there had been any. Sincerely no offense meant dear Sister Kim.

Reactions: LuvNot

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ah, I do apologize Nippurr - I was arguing the other side of the coin. Re-reading that it does come off like an insult to you and I'm sorry for not clearly stating that it wasn't intended as such. :(

Heh. Guess I never answered your question either. Batting a thousand today...

I have no idea how many miles I actually ride each year. A whole lot. Mostly street miles, mostly by myself - say a 70/30 split as a rough guesstimate for on road/off road.
Never thought (hard) about selling any of my bikes other than the KLR so they all get the best maintenance I can give them. Would I sell them? Some of them, yes. Depends on how much is offered. Does that count as long term planning? :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Historically about 2 years.

However now that I have tried just about everything I have wanted to try, I am making an effort to change that to a much longer time frame.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ah, I do apologize Nippurr - I was arguing the other side of the coin. Re-reading that it does come off like an insult to you and I'm sorry for not clearly stating that it wasn't intended as such. :(

Heh. Guess I never answered your question either. Batting a thousand today...

I have no idea how many miles I actually ride each year. A whole lot. Mostly street miles, mostly by myself - say a 70/30 split as a rough guesstimate for on road/off road.
Never thought (hard) about selling any of my bikes other than the KLR so they all get the best maintenance I can give them. Would I sell them? Some of them, yes. Depends on how much is offered. Does that count as long term planning? :)

~GiGGle~I knew exactly what you meant. I was just havin some fun with "whoa".

1 - 20 of 25 Posts