TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yepper I had a balancing issue as well. As soon as I got off the bike up top. Strange sensation. Massive elevation change in a short time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few more pics from a bit of a ride indeed. Departing very green NE Iowa mid August. colotrip2013 007.JPG

Hmm. Big river. colotrip2013 009.JPG

Fire! colotrip2013 012.JPG
colotrip2013 014.JPG colotrip2013 015.JPG
Night #1.. If I recall it was 415 miles. VERY sore arse. Some Windmill state park/campground in Nebraska. Rather pricey but the shower/sh_tter, 3lbs of burger wrapped in foil, and cold beverage made the long day worthwhile. Needless to say we were in bed early:rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Breakfast day 2. Notice the high dollar stove/cookoing options. Pre packaged mini gas stove straight from China @ $8.98 delivered. Modified Blue smoothie can/stove @ $2.50 delivered. With the addition of a blue steel camp cup I prepared every meal not taken in town. I highly recommend the China stove as it is still performing nicely with exception of the auto igniter. Same as a gas grill at home. Limited lifespan in most cases. The beer can stove works well aslo but needs zero wind to function well.

colotrip2013 016.JPG
colotrip2013 021.JPG
Next stop? Short Incursion here to fulfill the wishes of one of our group with a 20 yer old open container charge still unpaid! Short visit...:rolleyes:
colotrip2013 017.JPG

I am the rider in the genuine IDOT issued HI VIS. FWIW. The outlaw is in black. Johnny Cash style. The gent in red/orange is my buddy Randy. Randy is ex Marine Corp. Easiest travel companion ever! All good. The unmentioned traveler is Rick.

Backing up a bit! colotrip2013 022.JPG

Next stop? Hmmmm. colotrip2013 023.JPG

All good. Lotsa cruising and lotsa sore butts.

From here to C. Springs was without dought the most barren, windy, no mans land of the trip. TW holds 1.8 US Gal. if I recall? At one point we slid into a co-op where I put in 1.68 US Gal's! I had extra fuel onboard just in case ($0.75 water bottles from our local consignment store). I stood at the C.C. only pump asking my group why anyone even ran power lines out this way? The station attendant who had snuck up behind me gave me a unhappy look and stomped off:rolleyes: From there to C. Springs was a battle against the wind. TW was held W.O. forever. Even my KLR riding buddy had a tough time with the wind.

Deciding to motel it at arrival included running up and down the 4 lane in search of a room. NO fun on my TDub.... Finally we found a room. Never again. I will go many extra miles to skip that town next time. Tooooo many people.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The definition of an adventure is when you ask "What am I doing here?" and the confirmation is when you conclude "I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be and wouldn't want to miss it for anything."

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Agreed (on above comments)
This was my first long distance outing as well as the others. We both laughed and suffered along the way. Some of the suffering was likely due to me leading the pack at a rocking 55-60mph max. A learning experiance was had by all and we will surely be much better prepared this year as a group. Kind of funny but our little ride story has gained some popularity locally and we now will have a couple more attendees this year.

Anyway after a short night in a motel we had a decent breakfast at a Denny's (if I recall). The weather was super nice but a tad cool. Perfect for a ride out to Pike's Peak. Quite a adventure just getting out of town and up the canyon road on the TW. The pace was far faster than I was able to keep up with and I was happy to pull off the main Hwy and let the crazies fly on up the road.

colotrip2013 024.JPG colotrip2013 025.JPG colotrip2013 026.JPG colotrip2013 027.JPG colotrip2013 028.JPG

We were finally on our way up. What a climb! We stopped at the halfway trinket shop for a break. The funny looks I recieved from the BMW tour group were priceless. HA!

Apparently I have loaded all the pics allowed? Any advice? The site won't load any more pics?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Lets try this again...
colotrip2013 030.JPG

Even at the halfway stop I was feeling a bit wobbly when walking about. I had left home at a elevatiion of 930' a few days ago and now the elevation was kicking me arse. I was not alone. The effects were being felt by the entire group. After the short break it was onward to the top. My speedy pace was more than the rest could handle as they swept past me one by one. I did pass one car on the way up. It looked to be a 1987 4 door Cutlass Ciera with a expired motor that had puked its lifeblood out on the road in a giant slick of green and dark stinking oil. Who takes such a beast up Pike's Peak? I wish I would have stopped to take a photo of the Clampits on vacation! My next challenge was passing a new Dodge minivan piloted by a terrified blue hair maintaining 10mph tops. It was not to be. TDubs feeble attempts at the pass were useless. I was stuck behind the van all the way to the top. Much to the delight of my riding buddies!

colotrip2013 031.JPG
The top.

colotrip2013 032.JPG
Informational monument if memory serves me?

colotrip2013 035.JPG

Rick having a look. Notice the crazy athletes running up the mountain in the backround:confused:

colotrip2013 033.JPG

The trail/path they travelled made me appreciate TW.

After a brief but miserable walk through the gift shop and a few more pics we were off. The thunder and lightning made up our minds that it was time to seek lower elevatiion.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
colotrip2013 037.JPG

Had to get this pic loaded!

The ride down the mountain was interesting to say the least. Brian coasted his KLR all the way down due to a plugged vent port under his gas cap. Note to KLR owners. Tusk tank bags need to be carefully placed or the tank will not vent causing the bike to die. We had the opportunity to figure this out as we travelled from P.P. to Buena Vista the next several hours (in the rain no less).

Arrived in Buena Vista near dark feeling very tired and wet! Super 8 it was. Had some decent grub at a Mexican style joint a few blocks away on foot. In the morning we head west.

colotrip2013 041.JPG colotrip2013 042.JPG

The ride out of town up Cottonwood is scenic and twisty asphalt. Nice ride by all means. From the top we headed down towards Taylor Reservoir on a mixture of dirt and gravel which was more interesting as it had recently rained making the road a bit slick.

colotrip2013 044.JPG

Near the bottom having a break and a look around. Camp for the night was only a handful of miles away.

colotrip2013 045.JPG

Brian setting up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
colotrip2013 046.JPG
Randy setting up the $5 tent I sourced at the local Goodwill type store. A bit small as it turns out.:D

colotrip2013 047.JPG

Ricks establishment.

colotrip2013 048.JPG

And yours truly.

colotrip2013 049.JPG

Brians self proclaimed barka lounger (mountain style). Anyone guess whats in the camp cup:p This was just the beginning of a fun night. Another note to those who wish to camp in the high country. Given the chance one should select the west side of a clearing for your campsite. The morning sun would have been nice to melt off the HEAVY frost the next AM!

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Nice ride report Moresnow! Great pics! Thank you for taking the time to share!

p.s. I have one of those old 87 4 door Cutlass Cierras. Been a Dang good car! Looks like a old geezer's car, and it is. Got it from an old grannie who only used it to go back and forth to the store and church. Got it for a song, it had only 50,000 on it, has only a little over 70,000 on it now, and that was about 15 years ago, still runs like a top around town. Pretty low mileage huh? My other 87 is my TW that only has 22-23 hundred miles, although I'm going to rack up some miles on it this year!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
colotrip2013 052.JPG colotrip2013 053.JPG colotrip2013 054.JPG colotrip2013 055.JPG colotrip2013 056.JPG

Yepper. It was a late one. A gent across the valley (correct side to camp on) watched us setup in the afternoon. Around dark we heard a 4 wheeler heading our way and wondered if we had been laughing and carrying on a bit to loudly:eek: Nothing could be further from the truth! Andy had been stuck camping with the wife and mother in law for several days and needed some external influence so to speak! He brought gifts of joy and good tidings as well.;) Andy is firefighter out of Denver. His labs were fun to have around also. At about 3:30 AM we were all up freezing and crawling around looking for firewood. It got down in the mid 20's.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
colotrip2013 061.JPG colotrip2013 062.JPG colotrip2013 063.JPG colotrip2013 051.JPG
Breaking camp and packing up. Brrrrrrrr.

Fuel, coffee, filled H20 bottles etc. at the little general store at the southeast corner of the lake. The owner was exceptionally helpful and gave us a few options for our travels west towards Crested Butte. After our cold late night we opted for easy pavement.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To littletommy. I have to laugh. I had to make a painful decision many years ago when I traded in my Buick T-Type turbo for a 1987 Chevy celebrity 4 door family truckster special. That car lasted forever. I eventually bought the wagon version (pissed of the wife) for a work car. Great cars. Good mileage. Possibly a bit long in the tooth for making a assault on Pikes Peak fully loaded with travel gear!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts