TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my front tire is showing the typical wear as some of the pictures on here have shown, and I am wondering if it will pass inspection. The middle knobbies look like ramps. There are 5,500 miles on the tires. How many miles can you safely get out of the tires?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
In my opinion none.
Given that you are fine with the original design, as long as the tire is not cracking from age you can wear the knobs down to almost nothing.
It sounds like you have a problem if they are not wearing evenly.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
...... How many miles can you safely get out of the tires?
It depends on what you mean by safe! You can run a tire into the cords and it won't blow....whether it will pass inspection will vary from country to country. Since my body is the only one I've got, I gave up trying to get max mileage out of motorcycle tires a long time ago! I changed out the front Death Wing at 4,000 miles with 2/3 rds of the tread still left and figured I was WAY ahead of the odds.....and if I'd had any sense I would have done it before 1,000! However, I have to deal with LOTS of loose gravel forest roads and nasty loose rocky terrain.
I would suggest looking into a different front tire, like a Shinko 241, and it might just save your precious ***. :D

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Ramps? You are braking to hard with the front tire, maybe air pressure is to low too. Pump it up to 25 or 30 lbs. and concentrate on using the back brake more. If you don't change your ways the same thing will happen to a new tire.

Back tire doesn't "ramp" as easily because it is countered with acceleration.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really think that I am easy on the front brake,but this is my first bike. Also, I lowered the bike: the front forks were raised like an inch and a half, the back was lowered with a v-star shock. It probably isn't the smoothest riding bike but I love more of my feet on the ground. My plan is to eventually replace the front with the same tire then go with street tires next time. What ya think?

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you want "street" tires, go for the Shinko SR 428 series. I have these and they are great. It just so happens, they are also rated for off-road riding. Nothing too aggressive, obviously, but old jeep trails and gravel back roads are no problem.
428-series.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
my front tire is showing the typical wear as some of the pictures on here have shown, and I am wondering if it will pass inspection. The middle knobbies look like ramps. There are 5,500 miles on the tires. How many miles can you safely get out of the tires?
Tire condition should be evaluated based on original tire quality, wear, and age. In all aspects, your Bridgestone is ready for replacement. Arguably, it was when it popped out of the factory mold. Keep in mind, an unused tire 8-10+ years old should be replaced, just due to the aging/hardening of the rubber. Tires are cheap. Life is irreplaceable. Buy a new tire. +1 on the Shinko lineup. Any of them are far better than the OE Bridgestone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts