TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filled the TW up today. 1.825 Gallons. Must have been getting close to the "MSR fuel bottle" mode. Anybody ever fill up a bone dry tank?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm curious, is the 1.85 gallon (7.0 litre) stated capacity measured from the bottom edge of the filler tube (the 'maximum fuel level')? If so, there should be some bonus room for a bit more fuel for those who live life on the edge and ignore the manual's warning of spillage due to 'overfilling' :)

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Rather than just leaking out the vent tube onto the ground this “overfilling" in a California model can lead to soaking of the charcoal in the emissions canister. Bounce the now heavy fuel soaked charcoal pellets around in their canister on a bumpy trail long enough and they can break down into a clogging sludge.
My experience was without a reliable vent the engine suffered fuel starvation and subsequent stalling, especially at higher sustained rpms when a vacuum can build up in the tank.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
I install dry tanks fairly often and it takes the entire contents of a 2 gallon can every time - same thing when I use products like metal rescue to remove rust I pour in two full 1 gallon cans and there's room to spare
I will verify this. I bought 2 gallons of Metal Rescue and with the petcock out and blocked with the tank in my tub I got both full gallons in with some room to spare. I doubt all 2 gallons is usable in the field but I know for sure from dead empty the tank will hold over 2 gallons.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have often wondered if stated fuel capacity is what the tank will hold or if it is usable fuel capacity.
For a carbed bike, they should be very close to the same, with petcock on reserve.
For an EFI bike, usable likely less, as would be expected for automotive tank with a fuel pick up tube.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
I am not one for assuming much of anything however the stated capacity of 1.8 gallons is likely the usable amount of fuel able to run the engine with the reserve included. If you run the tank dry and tip the bike so all the remaining fuel in it goes to the petcock side with it on reserve there will still be some fuel that simply cannot get through the petcock or carb. I would take a gander that there could be as much as a cup or 2 left in the tank we can only get out by removing the tank and the petcock and draining it in to a bucket. This would account for why a completely dry tank can hold over 2 gallons.

GaryL

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Bounce the now heavy fuel soaked charcoal pellets around in their canister on a bumpy trail long enough and they can break down into a clogging sludge.
It happened to me on a DR650. Every couple of miles I had to open the gas cap and let the carb float bowl refill but I made it home.

i believe elime poked a small hole into the internal collar and gained .2 gal. not much, but better than walking an extra 1/2 dozen miles.

l
Here is a picture of what I did. If it saves you from having to walk 5 miles just once it is worth the effort.

P9091174A.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks, I'll try to add as much info about my TW as I can, 99% of my riding is in the city on Bridgestone TW 203 & 204's. I'll be draining my gas tank this spring for a repaint. I'll document how much it'll take and post it in a few months.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
My question is...if you run out of fuel in reserve then tilt the bike over spilling the fuel from the right side to the left. How many miles can you travel with stock gearing.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I have run mine empty and was able to get 7 litres in. I filled my XT350 tank from dry and could only stuff 12.5 litres in even though the specs say its a 13 litre tank but then again I did have to fill a few dents in it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts