TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
With all those people there to help, why they didn't just push the bike up the ramp baffles me. Whatta bunch of idiots!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The only thing dumber than trying to load a bike like this by yourself; is having 10 people standing around watching you

WITH cameras...

it's like they knew he was gonna do something stupid.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This guy is flat out lucky! How much does that thing weigh? If it came all the way over, his "helpful" friends could remember him as a grease spot!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
One of my friends had an old U-haul we used to haul dualsport bikes and gear. A neighbor saw us riding dualsport bikes up the ramp, no problem. When the neighbor moved, he decided he could ride his Harley up the ramp of his National rental, which sits about a foot and a half higher than the U-haul. The bottom of the Harley hung up on the edge of the bed, bringing the bike to an instant halt, and over it went. The tank hit the back of the bed, sustaining a huge dent, then hung up, letting the bike twist and fall on the tail, tires pointed back away from the truck. Thus, the top case and saddlebags were smashed. The bike kind of stood on its tail a couple seconds, then in slow but accelerating motion fell away from the ramp, catching the tank on the other side on the edge of the truck bumper, and smashing the fairing on the ground. Found out later the insurance company totalled the bike, and it wasn't but 3 years old. The owner suffered a dislocated shoulder and a concussion in the fall.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I found this out a while back trying to load my S50 on to a 5x10 trailer. I lowered the ramp to ride the bike up and as soon as I got to the back of the trailer bed the front of the trailer shot up into the air from the weight of the bike on the back. Nothing happened except I was thinking "WTF?" Lesson learned - the front of the trailer tongue has to be attached to the hitch ball of the car to prevent this, or someone has to sit on the trailer tongue to counteract the weight on the rear of the trailer to prevent this funny-looking mishap. Obviously, the same thing happens when you're trying to back the bike off, which will lead to you dumping the bike over.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I found this out a while back trying to load my S50 on to a 5x10 trailer. I lowered the ramp to ride the bike up and as soon as I got to the back of the trailer bed the front of the trailer shot up into the air from the weight of the bike on the back. Nothing happened except I was thinking "WTF?" Lesson learned - the front of the trailer tongue has to be attached to the hitch ball of the car to prevent this, or someone has to sit on the trailer tongue to counteract the weight on the rear of the trailer to prevent this funny-looking mishap. Obviously, the same thing happens when you're trying to back the bike off, which will lead to you dumping the bike over.
Trailer hitches are not designed to prevent lifting. Place blocks or stands under the back end of the bed to prevent the trailer from tilting. Much safer that way.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You're right qwerty, I should have added that. But on my particular trailer it didn't take much weight or force on the tongue to hold it level, Blocking up the rear is the safest way to prevent this from happening, especially if you are doing it alone.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Don't load a bike into a wet pickup bed. Think of trying to balance a 500 pound bike while standing on a sheet of ice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
How about how not to unload a car from a trailer?

here

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Don't load a bike into a wet pickup bed. Think of trying to balance a 500 pound bike while standing on a sheet of ice.

And exactly how do you know this?

Those of us working in the vehicle transport industry have a name for amateurs. We call them "profit".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts