TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked into this some regarding age, and it seems like many states do not have a minimum age requirement. What are some of the requirements you all have set in place before you allow your children to be a passenger? Im not interested in long trips, just maybe some short excursions to go fishing or check trail cameras. A mix of street and trail. Curious to see what people have to say, Thank you.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
i started my son at 6 years old... off road. old enough to able to hang on, look around and enjoy it, and still remember to hang on. i'm not sure at what age i'd feel comfortable on slab.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I don't remember the ages that my sons were, but when they were small they sat in front of me up by the tank and held onto the crossbar of the handlebars. You have to be careful where their legs and feet are if your bike has a high pipe. When they got bigger and were able to reach the passenger pegs and hold on to me, they sat behind me.

If you don't comfortable about their safety, then they are probably not ready yet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My daughter has been riding her atv on her own since she turned 5, and she loves riding on the back of my tw in the yard. She just turned 6 and I started thinking it would be cool to buzz across town to take her fishing in the places I grew up spending most of my summers. She can reach the passenger foot pegs, and I feel like she is ready. We are talking probably 10 miles of 35mph road (each way), and the rest is trails. Im more worried about what people around town might perceive as dangerous I guess. Don't want to get into trouble. Thanks for the replys so far.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I take my daughter for rides sometimes back and forth to school. She's 8 and loves it. It's only a 1.5 miles and I usually only cruise through housing tracks. I would never let her ride with anyone but me though, and I'd never go out on the main streets. I also used to take my son on the back of my bikes when he was around 5, but he used to fall asleep behind me, even on a couple minute rides. So watch for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Riding off road with someone on back seems slightly less than safe to me, regardless of age. Not sure I'd ever do that.

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
My Chihuahua Katy was riding at 6 months. She's rarin to go this year already!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think there are only a few states that have age limits for passengers on a motorcycle. You will have to look up your state. As stated before the normal restriction is only that they wear a helmet, some require them to reach the foot pegs. I think both of these would be common sense for any child any way, specially on any normal road. I have driven my son around the block in the neighborhood starting when he was about 5 (my wife was not comfortable with this by the way). As far as the glares that you might get from other people, that is absolutely going to happen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As far as the glares that you might get from other people, that is absolutely going to happen.
My kids will never ride with me in the foreseeable future, but that is because I'm a novice rider and am not experienced enough yet to put anybody on the back- let alone my kids. We are a boating-intensive family though and I get looks all the time with my kids running around our boats while we are underway. I'm incredibly strict about boating safety and tend to find the most scathing criticism seems to come from people who know nothing about boats, safety, or kids... Basically the people whose opinions are least valued in that situation!

It's always great to see enthusiasts of any hobby (obviously with some illegal exceptions) including their kids from an early age.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My son was young when I'd took him on a ride off-road and I had him sit in front and hold onto the cross bar. He also had helmet and boots on.
If someones feet can not rest on the rear pegs I wouldn't let them ride on the back. And if they do check out what they might get their feet tangled up with.

As a youngster I rode on the back of a Honda trail 70? and found out that the nice shiny exhaust guard only extended the heat further towards your thigh. Ruined a nice summer.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Plus people ride bicycles all the time with small children behind in special seats. They even tow babies in those trailers not to mention dogs. No one seems to get upset about that. Maybe adapt something like this. This an in front of the bike seat mount kid carrier, but mount the mounting bar on a rear rack.

Screenshot_2017-03-21-08-22-29.png

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Wish I had my camera the other day when I saw a child's safety seat strapped to luggage rack of a Miata, figured the kid would grow up fearless.:)

Ducati has some track options. ducati baby carrier.jpg
There are braces and slings to help hold a child but I would be very careful off-road. safty seat.jpg

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'll be a little humorous .. AS long as they know how to tuck and roll, yer good to go.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My dad had me on his regular motorcycle when I was 4 or 5. I had a helmet (way too big) and my cowboy boots, so I was set :D Of course, he also had two belts looped together around us both. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Washington State is age 5 and must be able to reach the passenger pegs to ride.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Wesley rode in front of me on the BW(didn't have TW yet) around the yard when he was a little over three. I took him on the Harley in front of me on back roads when he was 4. He had a ATV at 5 until his legs got to long and then road the 91 TW off road until he turned 16. At the moment I am in Thailand and they have seats for children for scooters and step through that go in front of the rider. Some children have rode on motorcycles all their life.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts