TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
i am considering buying a tw200. my uses would be just around town on 35mph roads with most of my time spent in the desert or the mountains. i am wondering about the first gear on the tw200 with stock sprockets. how slow can you go in first gear up hills or in very technical and difficult terrain without losing power or riding the clutch?

to put it in perspective i used to own and ride a rokon 2 wheel drive atv. the thing i liked a lot about it is that you could do 2 or 3 miles and hour with lots of power available to you at those speeds and so could do some pretty gnarly terrain at very slow speeds. i am wanting to recreate some of that capability with the tw2oo.

im wondering if i ought to change my sprockets to get a really slow climbing gear.
Like everyone is saying, you don't need to change a thing from stock. It will pull a train with 200 cars linked without issue. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
They are not mine; or sold.
Two of the forums oldtimers (on the forum - not old as in decrepit) that have a lot of skills (mental and mechanical) worked out the ideas and brought them to fruition for themselves.

you are lucky to have those they look high quality. anything like that you know of that can be purchased?

·
Registered
46 Posts
i am considering buying a tw200. my uses would be just around town on 35mph roads with most of my time spent in the desert or the mountains. i am wondering about the first gear on the tw200 with stock sprockets. how slow can you go in first gear up hills or in very technical and difficult terrain without losing power or riding the clutch?

to put it in perspective i used to own and ride a rokon 2 wheel drive atv. the thing i liked a lot about it is that you could do 2 or 3 miles and hour with lots of power available to you at those speeds and so could do some pretty gnarly terrain at very slow speeds. i am wanting to recreate some of that capability with the tw2oo.

im wondering if i ought to change my sprockets to get a really slow climbing gear.
Gearing, the sprockets are fine for most riding, once you get used to the MC. Slide back on the seat to load the rear tire and go almost anywhere. Don't lower the tire pressure to low [15# is good] and bend the wheel. I like 35# for extended on the road riding or the tires cup badly. That is similar to most road MC pressures.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Gearing, the sprockets are fine for most riding, once you get used to the MC. Slide back on the seat to load the rear tire and go almost anywhere. Don't lower the tire pressure to low [15# is good] and bend the wheel. I like 35# for extended on the road riding or the tires cup badly. That is similar to most road MC pressures.
I think thats the highest pressure ive heard anyone on here running. Stock is 18 iirc. I run 20 on road and seems to run well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think thats the highest pressure ive heard anyone on here running. Stock is 18 iirc. I run 20 on road and seems to run well.
Been there, ran that pressure, pretty much ruined the tread riding on the road. Went up to the normal tire pressure for road bikes and cured that tread cupping issue, lowered the noise levels, and upped the gas mileage. I have similarly sized tires on my Yamaha road bike that recommends higher than 35#. Be sure to run 15 # - 20 # off-road and similar. Traction could be an issue with the higher pressure, although not an issue for me since a TW-200 does not go all that fast.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Been there, ran that pressure, pretty much ruined the tread riding on the road. Went up to the normal tire pressure for road bikes and cured that tread cupping issue, lowered the noise levels, and upped the gas mileage. I have similarly sized tires on my Yamaha road bike that recommends higher than 35#. Be sure to run 15 # - 20 # off-road and similar. Traction could be an issue with the higher pressure, although not an issue for me since a TW-200 does not go all that fast.
It upped your fuel mileage? What are you getting? I already get between 65-70 running 20 psi.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It upped your fuel mileage? What are you getting? I already get between 65-70 running 20 psi.
Road riding at the lower pressures 18 # to 26 # was ruuining my tires, that is why I increased the pressure, not for the small increase in fuel mileage. Higher tire pressures generally reduce rolling resistance and increase mileage. Ever see any TV ads about checking your tire pressure. Try that for yourself. A good example of the difference would be a low pressure mountain bike tire compared to 130 pound racing bicycle tire on the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
All the heartfelt opinions expressed above are valid for each authors' terrain and experience but maybe not applicable to others. Some of us just have the need or desire to ride terrain far steeper and more technical than many have ever experienced 'cause it likely just doesn't exist in your zip codes. So "slow" as well as "steep" are rather relative terms.
Choose what suits your reality but please respect how others may view their riding world.

what sprockets do you run friend? and what is your comfortable good for the engine top cruising speed with the gearing you run?

·
Registered
21,500 Posts
13 x 55 sprockets turning a 26" x 8" ATV tire on one TW with a TTR 223CC 6-speed engine and a stock TrailWing tire on other TW which has dual front as well as dual rear sprockets which I always leave on the 13 x 55 sprockets. Both are a bit buzzy above 45 mph but I am comfortable winding them up to 55 or so with low 70's as fastest attained speed ( downhill with a tailwind:cool:). Assume both engines are good below the ~9,000 rpm redline. If I ever planned a long road trip at higher speeds I would slide chain on the one bike from the 13 & 55 tooth sprockets to the 14 & 45 tooth sprockets, a five minute or so task. Normally I don't mind if it takes a bit longer to get close to my destination if I know the low gearing will then permit me to comfortably arrive at my destination. No fun running out of torque part way up an ascent and having to turn around with too tall of gearing requiring clutch slipping .

Reactions: oldworld 124

·
Registered
21,500 Posts
Quick video of my "comfortable" pavement cruising speeds, aybe 50 mph ascending moderate slopes less than 8% at moderate elevations. 6-speed transmission in the 223CC TTR motor helps with slightly wider range of drive ratios 1st through 6th than the stock 5-speed TW200 powerplant.

Reactions: SEADUB200
41 - 52 of 52 Posts