TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last winter a group of guys and I did a 2 day hike in the West Virginia mountains. I wanted to keep my pack weight down so instead of lugging my 6 lb. tent I built this shelter. It worked perfect and I thought I would share my experience. Total weight of shelter is 1 lb. the weather never got above 20 degrees with 2 inches of snow. The shelter gives you doors and I was able to ventilate it so not to create condensation. I used my military poncho for ground cover, Big Agnes air mattress and a military 4 part sleep system. If I ever find "Out Door Guys" with dual sport cycles. I would be totally into a camping trip on my TW.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
I had one like this burst with weight of fresh heavy snowfall about 2a.m. once thoroughly soaking me and bedding. Made for a very long cold wait for dawn. I have also seen cheap tents overwhelmed by wind driven rain. I hate the weight but cherish the security of free standing 2 person three season dome when there is any chance of bad weather. The shown shelter has its good moments though.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Shelter? You wimps! This is the 21st century, couldn't you find a Holiday Inn Express like a normal person?

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I had one like this burst with weight of fresh heavy snowfall about 2a.m. once thoroughly soaking me and bedding. Made for a very long cold wait for dawn. I have also seen cheap tents overwhelmed by wind driven rain. I hate the weight but cherish the security of free standing 2 person three season dome when there is any chance of bad weather. The shown shelter has its good moments though.
Honestly I have serious camping equipment I just like that survivalist mentality. I knew we were going to be in deep woods so the wind wasn't going to be a factor. Plus I had a military sleep system with a Gore-Tex Bevy. I picked it up for $100 new. Keeps you warm and dry as toast. It's heavy 9.5 lbs but worth every bit of the weight.

Modular Sleep System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I've slept in a scraped up pile of leaves with falling snow. I was surprised how well it kept me warm.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've slept in a scraped up pile of leaves with falling snow. I was surprised how well it kept me warm.
They are becoming very popular. It's so universal I'll carry the weight any day knowing I'm getting a good night sleep. I like a shot of NyQuil
After a day of hiking. Takes away any aches and pains and I'm out until morning. A bear could eat me and I would never know it. :D

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Found a few more pics from the Wild and Wonderful West Virginia hike.
Devils Nose. Berkely Springs Area

1 - 10 of 10 Posts