TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just registered, first post. Thanks for having me! Tomorrow I'm making a bit of a drive to look at a '99 TW200. 39xx miles, said to be in "mint" condition. I have seen very few 18 year old bikes in mint condition. What are some common issues I should be looking for? Basically, other than the normal stuff, is there anything TW specific I should be giving attention?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome!! :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
If that is only 3900 miles, I would be most worried about a potential lack of maintenance, and rubber part, and gasket breakdown. Old crappy gas and a gummed up carb. Maybe rust inside the tank. But if it runs good, I'd go back to all the conditions of the rubber and plastic parts. Oh yea!, the grease in the steering head, swing arm, shock mounts and axles.

Good luck, Welcome, and have fun!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome!! :D
Thanks for having me!

If that is only 3900 miles, I would be most worried about a potential lack of maintenance, and rubber part, and gasket breakdown. Old crappy gas and a gummed up carb. Maybe rust inside the tank. But if it runs good, I'd go back to all the conditions of the rubber and plastic parts. Oh yea!, the grease in the steering head, swing arm, shock mounts and axles.

Good luck, Welcome, and have fun!
Good call, I'll be sure to have a good look at all rubber. If I do pick it up, I'm planning on replacing all fluids and lubing everything. 3900 miles... probably have the valves inspected? Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Does appear to be in as close to “mint condition” as one could ever expect to ever find.
Very nice.
If the tires are also of museum grade and age they might be best left in a museum, new rubber seems so much more flexible and safer in my opinion. The wet season is approaching and I would not want to trust an old Death Wing TW31 front tire to keep that pristine TW upright on a wet road.
Now the fun begins!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Does appear to be in as close to “mint condition” as one could ever expect to ever find.
Very nice.
If the tires are also of museum grade and age they might be best left in a museum, new rubber seems so much more flexible and safer in my opinion. The wet season is approaching and I would not want to trust an old Death Wing TW31 front tire to keep that pristine TW upright on a wet road.
Now the fun begins!
After driving 2.5 hours to see it, I was also happy to see it in the condition it is in. Seems to need the carb cleaned as it sputters if you Twist hard on the throttle from idle. Otherwise, its in great shape for being old enough to vote. I'm not a fan of old tires either, I'm thinking a Shinko 244 may be in order for the front. I'm 6 feet tall with a motocross background, so I'm thinking some taller bars would be a nice upgrade as well. Pro Taper ATV bars seem to be a popular choice around here. I'll be doing some research on the forums before I start asking questions. I get the impression there is a wealth of information here. Thanks to all for the kind words, I'm really looking forward to hitting some single track on this thing. I think I'm at peace with the idea of never being on another motocross track. Yup, I'm getting old. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Easy fixes.
After driving 2.5 hours to see it, I was also happy to see it in the condition it is in. Seems to need the carb cleaned as it sputters if you chop the throttle from idle. Otherwise, its in great shape for being old enough to vote. I'm not a fan of old tires either, I'm thinking a Shinko 244 may be in order for the front. I'm 6 feet tall with a motocross background, so I'm thinking some taller bars would be a nice upgrade as well. Pro Taper ATV bars seem to be a popular choice around here. I'll be doing some research on the forums before I start asking questions. I get the impression there is a wealth of information here. Thanks to all for the kind words, I'm really looking forward to hitting some single track on this thing. I think I'm at peace with the idea of never being on another motocross track. Yup, I'm getting old. :eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome. Based on appearance, it looks mint. That’s a good indicator that someone looked after it. I agree new tires should be considered. I’d like to hear your thoughts on the windscreen once you log some miles. Cheers
Actually I barely had it in the garage before I took the windscreen off. This is going to be a trail machine, I have a Harley for the road. If you want to give it a shot, I'll mail it to you for the cost of shipping.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
That's a very nice gesture for a new member. Just sayin... :)
Actually I barely had it in the garage before I took the windscreen off. This is going to be a trail machine, I have a Harley for the road. If you want to give it a shot, I'll mail it to you for the cost of shipping.

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Another good member seems to have joined the fold. Nice generous offer on the windscreen.
Stated upgrade plans sound very appropriate for a good trail bike.
We don’t know where you ride but you have have good ideas for general trail riding improvements.
Any sprocket changes of course are a function to the ruggedness and steepness of your favorite riding terrains. Where do you ride?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another good member seems to have joined the fold. Nice generous offer on the windscreen.
Stated upgrade plans sound very appropriate for a good trail bike.
We don’t know where you ride but you have have good ideas for general trail riding improvements.
Any sprocket changes of course are a function to the ruggedness and steepness of your favorite riding terrains. Where do you ride?
Thanks Fred! Going to be doing most riding in Northwestern lower peninsula of Michigan. Mostly singletrack and seasonal roads. Not much in the way of steepness, but theres gonna be plenty of sand.

So far I'm thinking a front tire, higher bars, and possibly some bigger pegs. I'm used to having big sharp pegs on my MX bikes. I found an online version of the owners manual, is there a shop manual online?

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
We usually count on our pal from across the Atlantic, Sir Purple, to post the link to the shop, or "main manual".
There is also an online supplement for the newer models you will not need.

If not maintaining a pristine original appearance then there are better atv tires for sand as well as many front tire options. Others who ride your sandy soils can share their experiences and recommendations but I've heard a 241 is probably a good choice for the sand of the UP....Ooops, lower peninsula. LP?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Given that it's a TW200, everybody (including myself) have pretty much good things to say about the $15 ebay footpegs.
I thought there was a thread with a link for the manual....I have a pdf copy I..found...somewhere. If you can't find the thread, PM me and I'll give you a link to download the one I have.
244 or 241 seem to be the most popular meats for the front.
If you put ATV-hi bars, you'll likely need to re-route a few cables. Flipping the front brake hose mount upside down on the lower clamp gave me some extra length.
I'd lift it up so you can turn the bars freely and see if the stem bearings are notched. It's pretty common. Mine was a 2015, low miles, garage-kept and the races were dimpled already.
An oil change will likely be on your list so I'll say it before someone else does....get the right filter. Yamaha sold a bunch of the wrong filter in boxes with the correct part number. Search wrong oil filter on here and you'll find lots of info about it.

The forks clunk, the engine is clattery, physics won't let you go fast enough in 5th gear to come close to redline, the friction zone is about a foot out in front of the front tire so don;t bother trying to fix that, the seat's hard, you'll be adjusting the stock chain every ride so just buy an o-ring chain and be done with it, toss a small 90 degree fuel filter on it, if you're doing to be riding where there might be a puddle more than 3" deep search out the thread on 'water crossings' and $10 worth of y-fittings and vacuum hose will stop it from dying because of the factory carb vent hose getting water in the end of it...

I think I hit everything..... :)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts