TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new coil, OEM because I didn't want to have to deal with spark plug boots that were the wrong shape or anything like that. Yamaha solves this issue by simply not including a boot.
TWSparkBoot.jpg

Old wire and boot is on the right, new wire is on the left.

How do I swap the boot to the new wire? "Yank and stuff" seems a bit cavemanish... am I missing something? Thx!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, that was it.

Just for anyone else searching for this in the future, it is a screw in post inside the boot. The screw post threads into the inside of the wire.

<picture is currently being disciplined>

View attachment 147098
Jam screw post into new wire, attempt to center it as much as possible. Screw in until it bottoms out. Don't forget to transfer the insulation shield from the old one first (the rubber bootie).

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
elime - how did you find that product number? I couldn’t get the NGK website to give me anything matching TW200. Would this fit all TW years? Thanks and cheers

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Good point. I was thinking more for corrosion protection but those threads should be pretty well protected in the boot. I’ve got problems on my hands with all the rust on my bike, especially fasteners. Thanks and cheers.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
elime - how did you find that product number? I couldn’t get the NGK website to give me anything matching TW200. Would this fit all TW years? Thanks and cheers
Yes, I had the same problem. I looked around their website and found this pdf file and picked out the one I thought would meet my needs. My first choice, YB05FP, was a mistake because the rubber boot was to big and far from "water proof". Expand the picture and you can easily see the gap between the porcelain and the rubber boot.

P6250042.JPG P6250043.JPG

So back to the drawing and I found one more to my liking. The right length, the right angle, the right size. I really wanted one with zero resistance but that wasn't to be. I hope this link works:

https://www.sparkplugs.com/Data/Documents/NGK_Resistor_Covers.pdf

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Thanks elime for sharing your trial and error and research. How do you like it compared to stock?
Honestly it is hard to tell a difference however, it looks cool !!!

And you never know -- someday splashing through a stream I will make it due to the water proof boot.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I may need one of those plug boots since I ride through the adjoining neighborhood when it floods. I do have mine packed with silicone plumbers grease which seems to waterproof it. My tip for riding through high water on a smooth street is hold your feet up and keep the rpms up. Last time I pointed my toes back and my boots filled up with water.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts