TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice on the rear brakes. Who makes the best shoes? Disk brake conversions?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Try the EBC Y503G,it's probably the best option for the TW and they are grooved too.
Also make sure to check your brake pedal free play before replacing.
Rear disk conversions have been made, but they are one-offs.
You will need to fabricate a custom hub,which will probably cost a few hundred bucks.
There is this kit also,but I couldn't find any info about it or a review,even in japanese.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I agree on the EBC Y503G grooved rear shoes.
EBC makes good stuff...lots of positive experience with them.
Go with EBC HH pads when it's time to change the fronts.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rear disk tw200.jpg
That looks AWESOME! I converted their yen and its $950 usd. Only catch is you have to take it to their shop in japan for install. No mail order. Some work has to be done to the hub. Yamaha should offer a kit like this for the older ones and make it standard on new TWs.

Reactions: Darth

·
Registered
224 Posts
View attachment 198160
That looks AWESOME! I converted their yen and its $950 usd. Only catch is you have to take it to their shop in japan for install. No mail order. Some work has to be done to the hub. Yamaha should offer a kit like this for the older ones and make it standard on new TWs.
This looks like what I have been thinking. It looks like if it was done right about all the owner would need to do would be to weld a tab on the inside of the swing arm to prevent the caliper from rotating.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Have to chime in here about EBC brake shoes. I've tried them on several drum brake systems including the Dub and on every one they have less stopping power. Not only that but they squeel like crazy. The stock OEM's are the way to go. Now for the front disc it's a different story with the HH pads providing more power and better feel. Be aware they do wear down the disc faster than OEM but I feel the increased power is worth it.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Have to chime in here about EBC brake shoes. I've tried them on several drum brake systems including the Dub and on every one they have less stopping power. Not only that but they squeel like crazy.
Ditto! I have sanded the drum and the shoe and the squeeeeeeeal goes away for a while but comes back.

You might try getting a slightly longer brake arm. It made the rear brakes more effective on both of my TW's.. I think I got them from an XT225 but I am not sure. It was a long time ago.

Stock brake arm is on the left.
P4280054.JPG

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This looks like what I have been thinking. It looks like if it was done right about all the owner would need to do would be to weld a tab on the inside of the swing arm to prevent the caliper from rotating.
It really looks like all of it is off-the-shelf stuff except for the hub adapter. Someone working on motorcycles or a shop probably recognizes those components from other bikes. If I had a spare hub to play with, I bet I could make that adapter. (Thanks for that link YamTW87)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Have to chime in here about EBC brake shoes. I've tried them on several drum brake systems including the Dub and on every one they have less stopping power. Not only that but they squeel like crazy. The stock OEM's are the way to go. Now for the front disc it's a different story with the HH pads providing more power and better feel. Be aware they do wear down the disc faster than OEM but I feel the increased power is worth it.

Yep, me too. I installed EBC brakes on my 900 lb. Goldwing and, yep, less stopping power with the same amount of foot pressure. Not only that but, they wore considerably faster than the OEM ones did. So, I went back to OEMs. Will stay with OEM when it comes time for brakes on the dub.

Scott

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ditto! I have sanded the drum and the shoe and the squeeeeeeeal goes away for a while but comes back.

You might try getting a slightly longer brake arm. It made the rear brakes more effective on both of my TW's.. I think I got them from an XT225 but I am not sure. It was a long time ago.

View attachment 198170
I have read on here about the longer arm. Kinda forgot about that. Anyone know for sure which bike its from?

I think I will go with the stock shoes and this longer arm from what I seen from all of Tdubers responses.

·
Super Moderator
18,127 Posts
I have read on here about the longer arm. Kinda forgot about that. Anyone know for sure which bike its from?

I think I will go with the stock shoes and this longer arm from what I seen from all of Tdubers responses.
Look in the technical section then click on technical write ups, scroll down to lizrdbrths tech tips, read post 5.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look in the technical section then click on technical write ups, scroll down to lizrdbrths tech tips, read post 5.
I tried to find it but keep getting lost over there. I think I found one picture that shows a tt500 arm. Does not say what year tho.

·
Super Moderator
18,127 Posts
Reactions: Fred and cateyetech

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered the arm. I will report back on how it does.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts

View attachment 198170
Yes, XT225 is the one.
But there are certainly others.
Check Partzilla's parts diagrams for similar series of bikes (there are several). You'll see the same P/N on several others.
But they all say the same thing: "No longer available"!
But the model numbers will broaden an eBay search.

Thank God for eBay! I checked recently and found several.

I paid ~ $16 for mine on eBay.
My bike is down for a number of upgrades and I haven't tested the XT225 arm yet.
As soon as the bike is back in service, I'll post up the results.

It's really good to see a lot of us are looking for better brakes...and they are so easily available, front & rear.
Plug & play!

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got mine from Yamaha Partshouse $10.94. Got an air cleaner and some sort of flap for the front fender. Hope its a little mud flap. Should all be here soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts