TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We always have discussions on the forum of dirty carbs. What is the solution? I will start with what worked for me. I Kreem tank lined my tank, installed an inline fuel filter, use Marvel Mystery Oil, 1 ounce per tank. My bike gets ridden quite often as my daily driver to and from work. I run it at full throttle on take off quite often. Sometimes I have it at full throttle down the freeway for a bit. Why I like Kreem tank liner is that it is easily removed with acetone if you were to desire to remove it. MMO is a non-acetone fuel additive cleaner which works with the Kreem tank liner. You must not use acetone base products with Kreem. If I desire a stronger carb cleaner I install my remote lawnmower gas tank with high tech bungee cord and fuel shut off to the bike. I like Chemtool B12 as it is good and reasonably priced. My summary is that keeping rust and trash at bay really helps the carbs. Also riding the bike is great for the carbs. By riding some at full throttle it uses all fuel circuits in the carb keeping it cleaner. I checked the fuel bowl for sediment at probably 20,000+ miles and the bowl was very clean. I rebuilt the carb one time around 40,000 miles. I'm not pushing products but just telling what worked for me. Note: I have been using ethanol laced fuel since it was forced upon us.

I know some climates require the bike sitting and many are doing a great job for the carbs sitting.

How do you keep your carbs clean?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ride.
Usually once a week. Sometimes I might go 2 weeks between rides at the most.

No additives. I only run non-alcohol gas. I am lucky that all the places I ride have a non-ethanol stations. Even some in the back side of nowhere will have a real gas pump. I used to do small engine work so I know what that ethanol can do in as little as a month.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ride.
Usually once a week. Sometimes I might go 2 weeks between rides at the most.

No additives. I only run non-alcohol gas. I am lucky that all the places I ride have a non-ethanol stations. Even some in the back side of nowhere will have a real gas pump. I used to do small engine work so I know what that Non-ethanol can do in as little as a month.
You did mean you know what the ethanol can do in as little as a month correct?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Only had the TW for a couple months so no problems there. Although I should put a fuel filter on it.
I do have a couple vintage bikes that can sit for a while. I have been using sta-bil in the unleaded fuel along with paper element inline filters and havent had any problems so far.
And I agree Ken, taking them out for a little exercise now and then does help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Only had the TW for a couple months so no problems there. Although I should put a fuel filter on it.
I do have a couple vintage bikes that can sit for a while. I have been using sta-bil in the unleaded fuel along with paper element inline filters and havent had any problems so far.
And I agree Ken, taking them out for a little exercise now and then does help.

·
Registered
741 Posts
You did mean you know what the ethanol can do in as little as a month correct?
Haha. Yes you are right. I edited it. Thanks.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I was once a fan of MMO but after reading a study that was done on diesel engines...I won't use it again.
They tested a bunch of diesel additives in order to increase the lubricity of the fuel, since most of the sulfur has been taken out.
Bio-diesel fared the best...2-stroke oil rated fairly high...most of the high-end additives did well.
Marvel Mystery Oil was at the BOTTOM of the list, in that it increased the amount of injector wear as compared to running NO additive at all. Ever since reading that, I haven't used the stuff...plus it's intended as more of a top-end lubricant than a carb cleaner.
Seafoam
Inline filter
Plus I pre-filter all my fuel before it even goes into the tank.
People think I'm crazy, but the filter I use to "pre-filter" the fuel has to be changed every season...it has that much crud in it...right from the pumps.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A old fella use to buy diesel at a service station I used to work at... he would pour in ATF before he would let me pump his fuel.

For my bikes I use stabil, lucas, and try to keep things moving often. My Honda sat for 1.5 years with old gas in it. Stable seemed to work. The storage was in a dry, and heated basement... dehumifer running all summer. When she hit the road it was like normal.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Ha. You said F'Nol.

·
Registered
20,725 Posts
In addition to the two fuel filters inside the tank attached to the petcock inlets there is a third stock fuel filter located atop the float needle seat inside the carb. This third filter has a very small surface area so doesn't take many particles to clog the limited number of filtering pores, perhaps a hundred or so. Accessing this filter is difficult and often results in damage to the o-ring seal for the float needle seat itself. If you add an additional 4th fuel filter inline between petcock and carb then the 3rd filter may be discarded next time you are servicing the float needle. This may save grief in the future if you have a fuel delivery problem but no spare float needle assembly on hand 'cause re-inserting the used assembly can easily result in a leak around the o-ring. Conversely it may cause grief later on if one is not careful to protect carb fuel inlet from debris entry anytime the tank's hose is disconnected.

Local states have mandated ethanol as an oxygenator in our pump gas so I use Seafoam periodically in the bikes but use no additives nor have experienced problems in 4 other fuel injected machines. I tried some additive for increased fuel mileage in a high mileage truck but crunching the numbers revealed that the cost of the additive exceeded the savings in reduced fuel consumption.

I have used an ultrasonic cleaner with a few drops of detergent on the disassembled TW carbs and body with good results.

Reactions: bad luck and Ken

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
In addition to the two fuel filters inside the tank attached to the petcock inlets there is a third stock fuel filter located atop the float needle seat inside the carb. This third filter has a very small surface area so doesn't take many particles to clog the limited number of filtering pores, perhaps a hundred or so. Accessing this filter is difficult and often results in damage to the o-ring seal for the float needle seat itself. If you add an additional 4th fuel filter inline between petcock and carb then the 3rd filter may be discarded next time you are servicing the float needle. This may save grief in the future if you have a fuel delivery problem but no spare float needle assembly on hand 'cause re-inserting the used assembly can easily result in a leak around the o-ring. Conversely it may cause grief later on if one is not careful to protect carb fuel inlet from debris entry anytime the tank's hose is disconnected.
So if the first and the second are doing their job, there should be no need for the third, but the introduction of the fourth can catch anything that gets past the first and the second, before it clogs up the third – but if the third does get clogged, it’s a pain to get at, whereas the fourth can sometimes cause a kink in the fuel line, but don’t forget to keep the first and the second clear or the fourth is the only thing between the tank and what happens to the third - but – if you discard the third but neglect the first and the second, then not enough is going to get through to the fourth, which puts you back to square one

And then there’s the ethanol ……

·
Registered
831 Posts
Is it bad when there's an electrical buzzing sound and smoke exits your ears? Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was once a fan of MMO but after reading a study that was done on diesel engines...I won't use it again.
They tested a bunch of diesel additives in order to increase the lubricity of the fuel, since most of the sulfur has been taken out.
Bio-diesel fared the best...2-stroke oil rated fairly high...most of the high-end additives did well.
Marvel Mystery Oil was at the BOTTOM of the list, in that it increased the amount of injector wear as compared to running NO additive at all. Ever since reading that, I haven't used the stuff...plus it's intended as more of a top-end lubricant than a carb cleaner.
Seafoam
Inline filter
Plus I pre-filter all my fuel before it even goes into the tank.
People think I'm crazy, but the filter I use to "pre-filter" the fuel has to be changed every season...it has that much crud in it...right from the pumps.
Yep, look in the bottom of your gas can that has been well taken care of and there is always some trash in the bottom of it.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I don't use any additives and run 87 in everything, but I do store seasonal stuff with 91 Recreational (no ethel) . I usual buy 5 gallons this time of year and start parking the warm weather stuff by Halloween.

Reactions: Ken
1 - 20 of 35 Posts