TW200 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
In regards to keeping the carb clean, what are the thoughts of running the carb dry by turning off the petcock and letting the bike continue to run until it stops? I was always doing that to keep fuel from evaporating and leaving residue behind because I only rode the TW200 recreationally. Worked fine for every motorcycle I've ever owned in the past, but the TW200 seems to really not like doing this for some reason. Any thoughts?

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
with that style carb. i dont think it makes enough vacuum to draw the carb bowl completely dry.
What about the drain screw? Maybe just drain the bowl through the screw?

·
Registered
751 Posts
with that style carb. i dont think it makes enough vacuum to draw the carb bowl completely dry.
You would have to turn the choke on right when it starts sputtering. This would shut off most of the air and make it suck most of the fuel out of the bowl. Not sure how it would work on the newer CV carbs. They don't have an actual choke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would guess that most of us have a couple remedies for not constantly having gummed up carbs.

Here are 3 I use

1) Seafoam
2) I usually shut the petcock off and idle the bike until it’s out or drain it
3) Every other tank or so spray a quick 1-2 second shot of carb cleaner directly in the full tank of gas through the cap.

Works well for me.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well,
I bought my '07 with a whopping 587 miles on it, about 15 months ago and, it had a severely rusted tank due to sitting for 5 years with no engine running. Long story short, it took me some wazoo tank cleaning solution and some driveway gravel to get that tank squeeky clean. After that, I put in a small fuel filter between the tank and the newly cleaned out carb. That bike fired right up after that and, has ran flawlessly ever since. I don't do any other tank maintenance beyond what I initially did. I run whatever fuel I can get my hands on, where ever I'm at, at the time of fill up and, again, it runs flawless. I'm not a full throttle guy as, I have a bigger bike if I want to zing around at higher speeds.
Scott

·
Registered
88 Posts
an earlier post shows it, a funnel with a fine screen filter in it. i notice all my newer clean gas cans eventually get debris in them that must come from the pump. i have tried everything and stabil marine grade keeps the gas the longest and carbs cleaner than anything else i tried. i always use non-ethanol when possible but sometimes wonder how old it really is at the pump??

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Berryman's B12 Chemtool - 1 oz/gal of gas every 2-3 tankfuls. Been using that in all my bikes and lawnmowers and golfcarts that sit for a while and I don't have problems with gummed up carbs. Much cheaper ($3 a can) than Seafoam ($10 a can), and works better. Best thing is to use the bike often and keep replacing with new gas, but the Berryman's prevents the gummy residue in the carbs.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
What do you use as the pre-filter?
All of my pump-gas goes into a 5-gallon jerry-can.
To that, I fabbed a special nozzle and fitted an automotive-type fuel filter.

When I decant the fuel, it runs through the filter, into a smaller CLEAN jerry-can that I use to fill the TW.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Been riding bikes and jet skis for over 30 years now and not a single carb issue, ever. I do all my own maintenance.
My secret....
1. Use Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer for storage. No other additives ever.
2. Drain the carb with the drain screw when not using it for more than a couple days.

You don’t need multiple or additional filters, just the OEM unless your tank is rusted inside.

It’s the varnish from the evaporated fuel that plugs up the carbs, not dirt.

If your having to pre filter your fuel and running multiple filters you need to buy your fuel from a different station as it’s not necessary.

·
Registered
557 Posts
All of my pump-gas goes into a 5-gallon jerry-can.
To that, I fabbed a special nozzle and fitted an automotive-type fuel filter.

View attachment 208884

When I decant the fuel, it runs through the filter, into a smaller CLEAN jerry-can that I use to fill the TW.
You do ALL THAT for each drop of fuel that goes into the T-dub? Man, if I had to do that, there'd be one T-dub for sale almost immediately! Life's waaaaaaaaaaay too short to have to work that hard just to fuel a small motorcycle. But, whatever works for you is all that's important.
Scott

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You make it sound worse than it is...I set up the main jerry can, then tip it onto its face and the fuel is filtered into the smaller one. No different than running water through the Brita.
In the meantime, I can clean or adjust the chain...polish the plastic...remove and clean the spark plug...clean the wheels....mow part of the lawn....in less than 5 minutes, I have 1 gallon of pure, filtered fuel, ready to fill the TW's tank.
It's not that I HAVE TO do this...I do it because I choose to...just like running synthetic oil: personal choice....and that's what makes the world go 'round. Everybody has some little quirk that makes others go "Huh?" when it comes to servicing their ride.

If I have PURE, FILTERED, non-ethanol fuel in my tank...that is one less weak-link to worry about when I'm twenty miles into the bush, by myself. For the 5 minutes that it takes to do this, it's cheap insurance.
As mentioned, I change the pre-filter every season and you should see the amount of crud it catches...straight from the pumps.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts