TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me a good/safe way to be able to raise the bike to be able to remove the rear tire? I need to check out the rear brake- doesn't seem to be working well. This is on a 2010 TW200 that I just purchased. Bike sat for a while.
Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
A while back when I was travelling I saw a pretty ingenious motorcycle stand. It wasn't particularly expensive (more than a milk crate) but the design was interesting. It was a traditional platform dirtbike stand but one end of the base was elliptical. the idea was you placed it under the bike, rolled the bike forward and it would roll up on the stand with the stand rotating backward on the elliptical end to come to rest on the stable flat part of the base. Wish I could find a picture of it...actually I wish I would have bought it.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
If lifting he bike is an issue for you, you can also do something like this, which can be as simple as a length of 2x4 with a couple of nails pounded in the top (and wrapped with electrical tape or duct tape to protect the bike's finish) Bike Crutch

·
Registered
40 Posts
march 13 105.jpg
Can someone tell me a good/safe way to be able to raise the bike to be able to remove the rear tire? I need to check out the rear brake- doesn't seem to be working well. This is on a 2010 TW200 that I just purchased. Bike sat for a while.
Thanks,
Frank
I simply put three bike hooks in my ceiling at my shop. I use tie downs straps and simply lift my front tire and tighten the two on the forks then lift the back tire and tighten it. I can lift my bike 4 ft off the ground if I wish.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I saw a lift at Sams club last year that I'm kicking my self for not buying! It was a standard car jack with a plate your could attach a convert into a motorcycle/ATV lift. I belive it was less than $100, but I didn't pull the trigger so I'm in the milk crate and 2X4 club. A wife or child is handy in sliding the weight bearing motorcycle apparatus underneath while I hold up the front! ;)

Cheers!
Ryan

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
As a dedicated Cheapster I use two automotive jackstands, one under each footpeg. Tip bike onto sidestand raising right side, slide jackstand under right footpeg. Now tip bike up onto jackstand raising left side of bike, slide second jackstand under left footpeg bracket. Viola! No wife or child reqired.
Warning: This is not very secure for major wrenching but plenty good for tire removal. Just loosen axle nut prior putting bike on stands.

·
Registered
921 Posts
A while back when I was travelling I saw a pretty ingenious motorcycle stand. It wasn't particularly expensive (more than a milk crate) but the design was interesting. It was a traditional platform dirtbike stand but one end of the base was elliptical. the idea was you placed it under the bike, rolled the bike forward and it would roll up on the stand with the stand rotating backward on the elliptical end to come to rest on the stable flat part of the base. Wish I could find a picture of it...actually I wish I would have bought it.
Borneo - You must mean the Ogio Roll in Lift Stand:

ktm-parts.com: OGIO 180™ Bike Stand

ogio.jpg

I am not sure it is available anymore. A couple stores show it out of stock. Plus, some reviews say it doesn't work with some bikes and skid plates. Plus, its $120.00 plus shipping! Yipes.

I have been looking at one of these:

Motorcycle Stands Rear Forklift Rear Spoolift Paddock Swingarm Lift Auto Bike | eBay They make them for the swing arm and the front axle. I have seen some models for $30.00 each.

Swing arm.jpg

·
Registered
5,946 Posts

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
Brian you always have the cleverest ideas. Now does the down-turned exhaust also blow evil dust off that killer tire?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I own milk crates, but save them for storage. I have a wooden box with wooden slats in it. Dump the slats out, slide it upside down under bike, then lean bike side to side while stacking slats between the bike and box, alternating sides. One of these days I won't have the strength to lift the bike any other way.

·
Registered
921 Posts
TW-Brian - You are a motorcycle GOD. As a mere mortal, I realize I am but a simple "pozer". Keep those good ideas coming. I am going to use that board and pipe. BRILLIANT!

However, until then, I am going to do what OurDee does.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just bought an OGIO on clearence for $60. Ogio 180 Moto Aluminum Lift Bike Stand | Ogio Stands-Ramps-Wheel Chocks at Bob's Cycle Supply | Bob's Cycle Supply
I am local, so no shipping. I like it.

UPDATE / EDIT

The first time I used this, I missed something important! Use Caution.

I have the regular front fender mount. The Ogio roll stand trapped my front fender between it and the tire. I failed to notice this, or the nice marks I now have on my fender.

I'm thinking if you have a raised MX style fender mount, this won't be an issue. When I noticed this, this time... I lifted the front tire a bit to get it past the rub stage. I still like the stand, but might end up selling it for something that won't abuse the fender.

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
Nice, works as advertised? Easy?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Does it get your wheels both off the ground? The video I saw made it seem like more of a glorified kickstand than a lift. but that could be because of the bike they were using to demonstrate.
Yes - both wheels are off the ground. It is 16" tall.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts