TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
The Bubba Lift Method saves all that money you'ld nonmaly spend on a ramp. Can give it to the chiropractor instead.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
I've used that method many times in my younger days. It's pretty easy with a smaller bike, that's longer. The trick is to grab just like he shows.

·
Super Moderator
18,122 Posts
Experience tells me that it's only a matter of time till that ol boy blows out his back...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I .….for one...…. could never load a bike by myself using a portable ramp...... and unloading it was even more dangerous......with two people it is fairly easy to load and unload one by lifting or lowering it one wheel at a time....as he did....but with one person in the truck to steady it and one on the ground.... that know what they are doing.... if I do it by myself ......I back up against a road bank or mound that is the same height as the truck or use a trailer...

I did buy a pair of those aluminum ramps...... but after one attempt to use them ….I gave them to a guy that I really didn't like...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
It works well for him because he's in such great physical shape!

DO NOT watch his self nipple piercing video if you get queasy.

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
It works well for him because he's in such great physical shape!

DO NOT watch his self nipple piercing video if you get queasy.
I watched that last night....LMFAO

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
322 Posts
I know a guy who broke his back loading a 4-Wheeler via ramps....also I was at a camp ground once and this guy set a 2x6 up on his tail gate....then proceeded to shoot his mouth off to his buddies (and everyone else within a 1/2 mile) about how easy it is to load a bike into a pickup truck....he crashed and burned and I tried not to laugh too loud...

Be careful out there. Be safe. ?

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
I've always been comfortable and accident free carefully using a pair of 2x10s, one to walk on, the other to motor the bike up or ease back down when unloading. Have used these Lund brackets for about thirty years on different boards. Wood does get slippery when wet or icy though. Without brackets like this the rear tire tends to push the lumber off the tailgate and you end up like CatFish with a bike balanced on skid plate and tailgate thinking "Now what?!". lumd ramp.jpg

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Back in the day when P/U tailgates had chains, I installed longer chains on my 73 Datsun, so the tailgate was about 30 degrees down from horizontal.
When I backed up to the curb, a 6' section of 5" aluminum channel was almost horizontal to the driveway apron/sidewalk.
Made for easy loading.

1973 Datsun PL620.jpg

I had three 175 Yamaha Enduros and could get them in with two outside facing front and center facing rear, with tailgate down.
Hauled 4 once, with #4 front tire on tailgate and chain removed (street legal).

·
Registered
142 Posts
That's how I used to load mine but the first icy try made me get a set of 4 wheeler ramps that I could walk on even if they are icy or wet. and if all else fails I have a hitch carrier or a trailer.

I've always been comfortable and accident free carefully using a pair of 2x10s, one to walk on, the other to motor the bike up or ease back down when unloading. Have used these Lund brackets for about thirty years on different boards. Wood does get slippery when wet or icy though. Without brackets like this the rear tire tends to push the lumber off the tailgate and you end up like CatFish with a bike balanced on skid plate and tailgate thinking "Now what?!". View attachment 187222

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I .….for one...…. could never load a bike by myself using a portable ramp...... and unloading it was even more dangerous......with two people it is fairly easy to load and unload one by lifting or lowering it one wheel at a time....as he did....but with one person in the truck to steady it and one on the ground.... that know what they are doing.... if I do it by myself ......I back up against a road bank or mound that is the same height as the truck or use a trailer...

I did buy a pair of those aluminum ramps...... but after one attempt to use them ….I gave them to a guy that I really didn't like...
+1 on the use of a ditch, curb or hill.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used 3 of those ramps, but 2X6's, the middle one for the wheels and one on each side for my feet as I straddled the bike on the way up the ramp. Much safer that way than walking up alongside it on one ramp.
On the center ramp I screwed another board on each side, making a channel for the wheels so they don't ride off the ramp. All in all was very safe and easy to do.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Ah, you guys are just a buncha pussies!

Here's how I do it:

But I think I'm going to switch to this way...looks a lot safer:

Reactions: bartruff and Fred

·
Registered
20,462 Posts
I see people using these to walk bike in and out of pick-ups. I envision a broken ankle or worse if every step is not taken carefully to avoid falling through the gaps. With my luck the bike would then land on top of injured me trapping me for an unpleasant, lingering and stupid demise. Don't know what they'll put on my tombstone then.
I prefer something more tolerant of the unexpected, usually save my crashing for out on the trails. ramp.jpg

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I have that same Harbor Frt. tri-fold. I pop-riveted 1/4" ply on each section, then some heavy duty peel & stick hi-traction grit paper.
Easy-peasy!

Guess I'm getting old...I've busted my ass so many times, so many ways I just don't enjoy it that much it anymore.
Old age is not for sissies!

Reactions: Mel

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
2DAA51D9-8312-41B9-8A0D-FD4A95FE432F.jpeg

My ramp is like the last one Ferd showed but folds in half. A UTV ramp from bass pro shop. It is laddder based but has a groove in it to put 1/4” plywood. I put polyurethane on the wood and added sand for traction. $99 and free shipping around now. Very safe to load in my truck. It even has straps to hold it to the truck. HF has a similar 1/3 folding. I got Thick doorskin plywood for $10 from HD.

Reactions: admiral and Darth
1 - 20 of 20 Posts