TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been working on this project for quite some time. I have seen on other sites people carrying dirt bikes on these small harbor freight trailers (40" x 48"). They looked kinda goofy but really caught my attention. Well long story short.... I have to pull my TW with my car because the dog won't ride in the truck. We have to take the dog (don't ask). I wanted something light for the car. It is 2004 Buick Leasbre with 200,000 miles on it. It is the dog's car (don't ask). I remembered seeing these little harbor freight trailers and thought: why not give it a go. So here we go. Trailer $289, title and tag $150 ish, plywood $35, hardware $150, extra lights $40, time invested 60 hours (at least), and lastly it was fun.

If you will look at the back of the bike, you will see I added brake lights to the motorcycle that match the trailer's. There are numerous details like that I added. Really over done but it is my first trailer.

trailer2.jpg
With the bike.
trailer3.jpg
With the car.
trailer1.jpg

·
Registered
19,405 Posts
Good solution for when the dog wont ride in the truck.
Noticed you have a hole in your security protocol by not pixelating the trailer's license plate like the TW and the Buick. Could this possibly be a harbinger of the end of civilization as we know it?:p

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just watch off camber turns or downhill turns. That trailer with that bike will flip over. I know. Just brake early before getting into the turn and drive conservatively on twisty roads. An S turn downhill is the worst to get these narrow trailers with tall loads to lift a tire and go over.
Thanks! I will take all the advice I can get. I have zero experience with trailers. I never thought about it turning over! I pulled it around for about 20 miles on different types of road conditions. It seemed to do good. I did modify the suspension some. I took off 2 of the springs. It was a 1000lbs trailer. The bike with trailer add-ons is only 300 or so. There is some give to the springs now. Before it was like jumping on concrete.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
First, nice job on the trailer and smart move, getting all this advice!

Now, a question about the oft seen "security protocol" of pixelating or covering license plates when posting vehicle pix...car, trailer, bike, etc.
For that to truly be an effective measure, wouldn't you have to keep your plate(s) covered all the time?
On the web, going down the highway, getting gas, parked in your driveway, campground, church or beer-joint?
Just askin'...:eek:

Good solution for when the dog wont ride in the truck.
Noticed you have a hole in your security protocol by not pixelating the trailer's license plate like the TW and the Buick. Could this possibly be a harbinger of the end of civilization as we know it?:p

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First, nice job on the trailer and smart move, getting all this advice!

Now, a question about the oft seen "security protocol" of pixelating or covering license plates when posting vehicle pix...car, trailer, bike, etc.
For that to truly be an effective measure, wouldn't you have to keep your plate(s) covered all the time?
On the web, going down the highway, getting gas, parked in your driveway, campground, church or beer-joint?
Just askin'...:eek:
Haha! Thats a great idea! I will pixelate my plates on the vehicles instead of just in pictures. That will stop all these bills coming in from red light cameras and toll roads. LOL

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Been working on this project for quite some time. I have seen on other sites people carrying dirt bikes on these small harbor freight trailers (40" x 48"). They looked kinda goofy but really caught my attention. Well long story short.... I have to pull my TW with my car because the dog won't ride in the truck. We have to take the dog (don't ask). I wanted something light for the car. It is 2004 Buick Leasbre with 200,000 miles on it. It is the dog's car (don't ask). I remembered seeing these little harbor freight trailers and thought: why not give it a go. So here we go. Trailer $289, title and tag $150 ish, plywood $35, hardware $150, extra lights $40, time invested 60 hours (at least), and lastly it was fun.

If you will look at the back of the bike, you will see I added brake lights to the motorcycle that match the trailer's. There are numerous details like that I added. Really over done but it is my first trailer.

View attachment 192332

With the bike.
View attachment 192334
With the car.
View attachment 192404
Nice finished project but I guess your local HF store is different from mine. I bought the cheap O trailer in a box for right around $289 but mine is the 4 X 8 foot one that can fold up and might be wider than yours. I carry my kayaks on it and bought a full sheet of 3/4 PT Ply and the LED light kit so I don't have to worry about backing it in water and blowing bulbs. I will make one suggestion to anyone with these trailers, always carry a spare tire and when you do have to replace the tires go with much better quality rubber because these are real garbage. Good advice on the top heavy flipping possibility. I had my 17 foot aluminum fishing boat behind me once going down a very steep winding hill and a dump truck had lost his brakes at a cross road. I slammed the brakes on and swerved to avoid a disaster and the boat on the trailer tried passing me and was up on just one wheel. I did brake the spring on the up side when it came back down hard and never did actually flip. It also twisted the tongue & coupler but the dump truck driver was so glad we did not crash he covered the full cost of the flat bed tow and a new trailer.

GaryL

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah I could have got the 4' x 8' for $200 when I got this one. My main reason getting the 40" x 48" was getting in to and out of the places we will be going, parking, and weight. We sometimes rent a lake house. Always wanted a motorcycle to go exploring the area. Very tight parking. I figure with this trailer that it will be small and light enough to move it by hand anywhere I need. I will take all the advice I can get. Any stories of trailer adventures anyone has.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nice finished project but I guess your local HF store is different from mine. I bought the cheap O trailer in a box for right around $289 but mine is the 4 X 8 foot one that can fold up and might be wider than yours. I carry my kayaks on it and bought a full sheet of 3/4 PT Ply and the LED light kit so I don't have to worry about backing it in water and blowing bulbs. I will make one suggestion to anyone with these trailers, always carry a spare tire and when you do have to replace the tires go with much better quality rubber because these are real garbage. Good advice on the top heavy flipping possibility. I had my 17 foot aluminum fishing boat behind me once going down a very steep winding hill and a dump truck had lost his brakes at a cross road. I slammed the brakes on and swerved to avoid a disaster and the boat on the trailer tried passing me and was up on just one wheel. I did brake the spring on the up side when it came back down hard and never did actually flip. It also twisted the tongue & coupler but the dump truck driver was so glad we did not crash he covered the full cost of the flat bed tow and a new trailer.

GaryL
They had an issue with the tires a while back. Some issue with the DOT. I don't think they were coming off the boats with DOT compliant tires or some such.

·
Registered
7 Posts
They had an issue with the tires a while back. Some issue with the DOT. I don't think they were coming off the boats with DOT compliant tires or some such.

I put one of those trailers together last fall and at that time Harbor Fright was still dealing with the tire issue. The trailer I bought did come with some off-brand DOT compliant tires. Not sure how good they are though. But when I went back to get a spare tire for the trailer the ones they now stock are genuine Carlisle trailer tires. Check out takes forever as they now fill out a ton of DOT paperwork when you purchase one of these trailers or a spare. I'm thinking they must have got slapped pretty hard by the DOT.

PSA...if anyone has a HF trailer with the non-DOT tires, HF will replace them free.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I put one of those trailers together last fall and at that time Harbor Fright was still dealing with the tire issue. The trailer I bought did come with some off-brand DOT compliant tires. Not sure how good they are though. But when I went back to get a spare tire for the trailer the ones they now stock are genuine Carlisle trailer tires. Check out takes forever as they now fill out a ton of DOT paperwork when you purchase one of these trailers or a spare. I'm thinking they must have got slapped pretty hard by the DOT.

PSA...if anyone has a HF trailer with the non-DOT tires, HF will replace them free.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/harbor-freight-recalls-utility-trailer-tires-103117.html
https://images.harborfreight.com/hftweb/recalls/Tire-Recall-Notice-to-Customers.pdf
I guess the tires were marked "DOT" but failed to meet the actual requirements.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 30 Posts