TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my rear axle is rusted to tge spacer. I've tried everything to get it loose and nothing worked so far. I haven't tried heating it with a torch yet. any ideas?

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Smitty Blackstone gave me this formula 50% Transmission fluid and 50% Acid Tone. I used it when I was restoring my BW and let me tell you this stuff WORKS. I named it “Blackstone Juice”

I would lay your bike on it’s side (remove tank and wet battery) apply a generous amount and let it soak in. Also one of my favorite tools is an air impact wrench. My son has a Dewalt battery impact lug wrench that we used yesterday to rebuild my boat trailer. The bolts that hold the springs were completely rusted from saltwater use. It actually broke a couple of them off because they were so rusted but got the job done.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
PB Blaster is pretty good. Soak daily for a week

·
Registered
106 Posts
A trick we used for getting stuck bolts out of engine blocks might help. Heat it with a torch till it just starts to turn red. let the hot metal melt some candle wax into the frozen joint or threads. loosen when cool. The candle wax wicks into the threads or joint when the parts are heated.

DO NOT USE THIS TECHNIQUE ON ALUMINUM

·
Super Moderator
4,854 Posts
If you’re going to give a “judicious bashing” – loosen the nut until three quarters of the thread is still in play, and take a lump hammer to the nut

You’ll probably need a replacement axle and lock nut afterwards, but it’ll move …..

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
If you’re going to give a “judicious bashing” – loosen the nut until three quarters of the thread is still in play, and take a lump hammer to the nut

You’ll probably need a replacement axle and lock nut afterwards, but it’ll move …..
Bashing is not a good idea. Putting an air chisel against the end of the axle using a cup over a nut flush on the axle has worked for me on the BW. It may work, it has for me like I said, but go easy! If you don't see it start moving stop. High frequency short strokes are less likely to mushroom the axle. A mushroomed axle will never go through the bearings.

A slide hammer with a split cup is a good option if you can get the axle out far enough to get a split cup under the bolt head that is.

Regadless what you do soak it good and long in PB or mouse milk. Or smitty milk, unless you have to milk that! :eek:

·
Registered
19,409 Posts
I've used judicious bashing successfully with an emphasis on the judicious. Judicious means protecting the shaft as Purple points out. Judicious also means using a favored penetrating oil and in Tiny-Wheel's case trying to rotate axle relative to spacer after penetrating oil application and before impact attacking. Spinning parts relative to each other can sometimes free up corrosion that otherwise binds sliding parts together. A little torch heat if that doesn't work helps smoke the stinky penetrating oil but a reapplication of fresh oil tends to penetrate further as the metal cools. Maybe then if still unsuccessful consider a gear puller between axle and swingarm.
The waiting time could be rethought of as the perfect excuse to go play with the new baby.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts