TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Joined
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had absolutely no need to remove my spark arrester other than I was reading a thread here about how hard they are to remove. Figuring it wasn't going to get any easier as time went by, and performing a task on my time schedule instead of a random time when the day came I would actually need to remove the spark arrester, I decided to remove mine today for inspection.
First, the spark arrester (SA) is held in with a single screw. It's a JS style, much like a phillips. I read how the stock tool kit has the correct bit so that was my go-to. Even after spraying some Corrosion-X, it wasn't going to budge and within a short time with this screwdriver and an impact wrench, the head was torn up. Looking at this fastener, it's recessed into a cone shape that dresses up the stinger off the end of the pipe. That is for ascetics only. I decided I would use my Makita cordless multi tool with a carbon hardend blade to cut away enough of this cone to get my vice grips onto the bolt head.








Of course, the assembly was rusted into place despite the fact I keep this stored in the garage and it's only got 1500 or so miles on it. So I decided to use the street 45 and it's stinger as a lever to twist it a bit. The handle of the vice grip fit perfect;


A few taps with a dead blow hammer and it started to move. Tapped back the other way, repeat as needed.





A quick peek down the muffler just to see what I could see. Not much....


I used a wire wheel on a drill along with a green scrubby and sand paper to clean the contact area between the spark arrester and the muffler. Then I applied a coat of aluminum anti-seize.




I reassembled the SA into the muffler and twisted it several times to make good contact between the parts and to distribute the anti-seize.


I then searched for a good 10mm head bolt that fit the threads. It was rusty too, so I applied anti-seize to those threads and chased the threads in the muffler to get rid of any rust and to lube the two connecting parts.




After wiping down with brake cleaner, I applied a coat of high temp paint


The final product doesn't look too bad.




One thing I should have done was dress the raw metal cut with a file. It's not sharp, but it could be a little smoother.
Well, that's all I got. I'm pretty sure when the day comes I need to take this apart, it will come apart with out too much drama. Usually one discovers these needs on the night before a big trip or worse, on the trail. I'll be ready!!
 

Super Moderator
Joined
18,142 Posts
Nice job bro!! 馃槃
 
  • Like
Reactions: Scooterbrained
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top