TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Formas are a little tight above the arch even though I followed the size chart ( length is good) so I decided to stretch the leather a bit using one of several proven techniques: Let water as it expands 4% while freezing to do the stretching. I filled several Nitrile gloves with water, tied them tight, and worked them down filling the foot bed hopefully with no air pockets. Then stuffed the ankle zone to stop glove migration and put them in the freezer before the wife could find them and question my sanity. If not relegated to the doghouse I plan to retrieve them tomorrow, de-frost , remove water balloon like gloves and test wear the boots.:)

Next technique to fine tune needs a leather conditioner afterwards to restore moisture but a 70% isopropyl alcohol spray/soak supposedly softens leather nicely. I'll wet outside well while wearing boots and walk around 'till they dry.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Man - this steak is tough as shoe leather! :p

Fred, you are a brave, brave man! If I would have done that I would have had to take the wife to dinner for a couple of days to keep her from looking in the freezer.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I put away groceries and cooked dinner last night just so she wouldn't peek in the freezer. I think I got away with it.:)

The ice technique seems to have worked to stretch the leather as needed. I should be able to walk in comfort now.:walk:

·
Super Moderator
17,922 Posts
Dave's bread, good stuff. :p

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I gotta new nick name for your boots "Arches N.P." Although only your feet will want to play there. Hey where's Fred? Out in ArchesN.P. somewhere.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Speaking of Arches how about this arch of stars , the Milky Way , over Haleakala Crater, Maui? 'Tis a grand place to visit @ ~ 10,000 ft, especially for sunrise and sunset as one is above most of the clouds. The truly hardy can hike down through various climatic regimes to the Hana coastline to the east. The slightly less hardy can rent a bicycle for the 9,000 ft plus paved descent to the west. Either way take a rain coat for passing through the cloud forests. I assume it is OK to Hi-jack my own thread. 2016finalist05.jpg

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
That"s is a darn good idea, I'm going to try it myself with some vintage boots on my vintage feet... when my wife is not around.

Last Summer I restored an old rusty exhaust system. Prep is especially key to paint success and heating and curing Hi-Temp Paint is mandatory if you want it to last. One piece at a time starting from the smallest (headers & mid-pipes) up to the main exhaust can's/mufflers.

Wife: "why is the oven on"
Me: "I'm curing something"
Wife: OK.

About 8 hours pass and I'm on the very last piece, trying to jam the muffler sideways into the oven and I see her peering over my shoulder.

Wife: How much longer are you going to be with the oven? I have a roast I need to cook and by-the-way, the kitchen smells a little weird. What type of meat are you curing?
Me: ------------------

Mmmmmm
IMG_4684.JPG

IMG_4616.jpg

IMG_4663.jpg

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Yeah, I got busted "curing" a freshly painted expansion chamber from a race bike in Miz Betty's oven.
I guess it wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't recently been busted with a cylinder & head in Miz Betty's dishwasher...
I still don't see the problem!?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Ha, Thanks Fred.
She's never angry, just a slight shake of the head or rolling of the eye's.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
That's a great girl!

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wore the now comfortably stretched out Formas for several hours going up and down stairs and various outdoor chores before going for a test ride. Rock-hopped some granite boulders on foot after Zooming some roads and creeping on some single track.
I was impressed. Would have a lot less scars from 10mm bolt penetrations had I started wearing boots like this decades ago!

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Perhaps Google "How to stretch leather" and try one of the other techniques other than freezing. My few UK acquaintances all have small freezers too small to hide boots in anyways.

What really impressed me was how comfortable the Forma Adventure boots quickly became as I had previously used stiff MX boots or steel toed leather work boots. Usually I have been too frugal to drop much money on top line equipment for any particular hobby but when I saw these for $191 delivered to my door I had to have them. Besides as one review stated "These are the boots Steve McQueen would have worn".:p Was about to order the Gaerne black Adventure boots but liked the looks and reported slightly better ankle protection afforded by the Formas but was put off by most venders prices between $250 to $400. $191 I could justify as it was cheaper than the best Gaerne price I could find.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts