TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Bore it out to 68mm and install a Wiseco high compression 10.25:1 piston. Or bore it out to 70 mm and the high compression piston will be 9.9:1

Or get a 70mm cheap Chineese piston for about $30 and you'll be around 9:1 but that is a guess. (Wiseco approx. $125)

Probably around a 5% to 8% gain in power.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
You can improve the power to weight ratio by dieting , removing weight like sealing wheel spokes and going tubeless, a lightweight lithium battery ,keeping gas tank as empty as wisdom permits, wearing lightweight clothing, minimal protective gear, a lighter helmet, etc... or install bigger valves, Wisco high compression pistons, port and polish...all for a very minimal improvement.

Actually some report good results by jetting changes, either with, or without aftermarket exhuast systems. I'll let those folks give their glowing results.

Popular modification now seems to upping the displacement with XT and TTR 225 parts or entire engine swaps in order to get a 10% displacement increaase as well as a sixth gear.

I've actually gone the other way with add ons like heavy lights, ATV tire out back, heavier trials tire up front, rack, tools, rescue gear, larger steel gas tank, hand guards, bigger foot pegs resulting in a bike well over 300 pounds but have yet to see any one else's TW that can run really away from mine.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
When do you need more HP?
1. Hill climbing?
2. Pulling steep grade at altitude?
3. Top speed?
4. ____?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
The short answer is; NO
The fact is that a motor is an air pump. The more air you get through the thing, the more fuel you can burn and the more power it generates. The limiting factor with the TW is the intake/exhaust valves are only so big and no amount of anything else is going to make it output more air than it can pass through.
Several here describe major motor renovations for a few % of increase, but that's a waste in my opinion. Gearing down would be a better option if you feel you need an increase in low speed power.
Another option is to swap out the motor with something larger, that breathes better. I'd say that would be easier than modding this engine. I've personally modded several 2 stroke dirt bikes with other motors to take advantage of the superior suspension and performance of the chassis with motors from more mildly tuned bikes. In particular; a KX250 motocross bike with a KDX220 motor. An engine with low end torque, enough top end to get the trail bike job done and enough suspension to float over anything that a TW has to crawl over.
I love the burro aspect of riding the TW. It affords me transportation at a pace I can enjoy the views it takes me to. But when I want to hot-shoe it and FLY, I break out my KX/KDX hybrid. I've read about TW200 hybrid bikes here, but the fact is that this bike, the TW200 is well and evenly matched for engine and suspension. To improve one and not the other is a waste of time since doing just one won't get you anywhere without doing the other.
In the end, if you find the TW is too short of power, just sell it and get something else. Even if you could boost it's power, it's suspension is going to prevent you from riding faster or harder.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
I agree with SkiPro that the suspension can be a limiting factor in safe TW off-road operation. Gerry, the original Mr.Gizmo, prepped one of my TWs with 9 inches in front and about 8 in the rear resulting in a bike that can be pushed much harder and much more safely in rough terrain. Much less braking is required to survive surprise ruts and ledges encountered at speed, plus lofting wheel over water bars results in soft, fun landings rather than bottoming out with a stock suspension.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No I still think the tw is the best bike for me . I almost bought a drz400sm 2700 for 2006 8000km. But when I checked the price for insurance I found out that most companies won't insure period. Or it's over a hundred a month

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm not really sure how to work this forum yet but I'm learning slowly I wish I could respond to each comment individually because some of them are pretty hilarious anyways thanks for all your input
This looks like my dream TW
If you click on 'reply w/quote', like I just did to your post, then your reply will be associated with a particular previous posting.
BTW Howdy and welcome to the forum!
It's a great group of guys who will pretty much be honest and helpful with info without 'deliberately' trying to insult you. Ha!
Cheers mate!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts